Kilmarnock Transfer Summer 2014

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have the scouting network or cash to adequately scout these guys? We have/had a Dutch player (Bonavecia) and an Italian player (Tedeschi) training with us this summer, so that suggests that we are looking abroad in one sense. We just don't have the money to scour Europe for hidden gems, so we have to rely on contacts, agents and players for advice.

Also, we'd need to cover expenses for these guys to come over and train with us. Including flights, accommodation etc then you could be looking at a decent wedge for someone who may never sign.

There's TV coverage of pretty much any league in Europe, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a hold of footage. All you need is to know a few people across the continent to tip you off about players, and then get some videos and watch the player. It's not perfect, but that doesn't cost a thing. If we can't afford to bring these players over for a trial then it might still be worth a gamble - particularly if the alternative (Magennis) is a gamble anyway.

There's TV coverage of pretty much any league in Europe, so it shouldn't be difficult to get a hold of footage. All you need is to know a few people across the continent to tip you off about players, and then get some videos and watch the player. It's not perfect, but that doesn't cost a thing. If we can't afford to bring these players over for a trial then it might still be worth a gamble - particularly if the alternative (Magennis) is a gamble anyway.

The last player we signed having only seen them on TV (that was quoted anyway) was Jorge Galan. Shiels was quoted at the time as saying he had a contact that tipped him off about Galan and the possibility of a deal.

It's not an exact science of clubs of our size, but possibly taking a punt on a guy like Magennis might be worth a gamble. He has a very similar goals to game ratio as James Dayton e.g, and Magennis was played a lot in defence too. Goals wouldn't be his biggest threat though, we'd be surely looking to use his power and pace more.

Can someone tell me if there's work on the railway line from Dumfries to Annan on Saturday? I'm making my own way as I work down that way, but I'm asking for a friend. If he can't get straight to Annan we're picking him up in Dumfries so need to know asap :)

Can someone tell me if there's work on the railway line from Dumfries to Annan on Saturday? I'm making my own way as I work down that way, but I'm asking for a friend. If he can't get straight to Annan we're picking him up in Dumfries so need to know asap :)

Replacement rail service. So if he gets a ticket then he'll get a bus from Dumfries Station to Annan Station.

re: Magennis - strange that he didn't feature on Saturday against Ayr and is back in Belfast still so won't feature today. Not saying that SH is wrong as he has his sources, but I'd imagine that we'd be trying to get him as much game time as possible.

He's on bench today.

Losing 1-0.

Just back from Inverclyde. Finished 1-1, a very entertaining match in all honesty. Chris Johnston was the star and IMO was the best player on the park. Looks to have bulked up a bit too.

Played on the deck for the majority of the game, and Johnston/Locke were at pains to remind the team to keep passing. We played a very orthodox 4-4-2, but Hamill and Slater as the central two weren't very creative at all. Obadeyi had a quiet first half but was excellent during the second, Tumwa was absolutely rotten throughout - at fault for their goal too as he let the ball slip under his foot to go out for a throw, then was still asleep when a quick throw-in was taken. Our style seemed to involve passing around the top-end of midfield and trying to work an opening, before playing a ball through to McKenzie to run on to. Worked relatively well against a strong Rotherham team.

Alan Martin played the first 45 and looked solid, making a few decent saves. Connolly made a few very good interceptions, and was vocal throughout encouraging his team-mates. Pascali made a very poor two-footed lunge on a Rotherham player at one point, and the guy was limping back up to their bus at full-time. Barbour and Johnston linked up very well down the right, and the Miller/McKenzie partnership up-front looks very promising. Clarkson came on in the second half and did absolutely nothing. Muirhead, Kiltie and O'Hara were impressive as subs. Luca Tedeschi came on at right-back and didn't really have much to do.

Good run out all-in-all, highlight being MJ turning up in a suit and ski sunglasses. Trendy.

I just can't see Miller, McKenzie and Magennis matching Boyd's goal tally from last season.

As suggested the midfield players will be expected to pick up the slack, but that is a big ask for a team that struggled for goals outwith from their top scorer last season.

Clarkson is an option but has been shown the door by Motherwell so far in preseason. Can we expect another forward or will Johnston be looking to strengthen elsewhere?

Magennis was there but didn't feature. He did have a lengthy conversation with MJ before both went away onto their phones for a while.

I just can't see Miller, McKenzie and Magennis matching Boyd's goal tally from last season.
As suggested the midfield players will be expected to pick up the slack, but that is a big ask for a team that struggled for goals outwith from their top scorer last season.
Clarkson is an option but has been shown the door by Motherwell so far in preseason. Can we expect another forward or will Johnston be looking to strengthen elsewhere?

Of course we'll struggle to match Boyd's goal tally. That goes without saying. However McKenzie will score more than a few up-front, and Miller's hold-up play links well with his speedy runs in behind. That'll create plenty of chances. Magennis will be no more than a squad player. Clarkson was very poor today, and doesn't look anywhere close to fit. Unless he improves significantly then McKenzie, Miller and Muirhead may be our first three choices for the forward line going into the season.

Archived