Kilmarnock Transfer Summer 2014

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've signed Ross Caldwell, formerly of Hibs, and not quoted. Killie have signed Josh Magennis, formerly of Aberdenn and not quoted.

This is the market our respective clubs are now operating in, and anyone who cannot grasp and accept this might as well chuck it, because it is the reality.

Marquee signings are a thing of the past. The best we can hope for is that our club will pick up a bit-part player from elsewhere with a point to prove (Magennis/Caldwell?); a gem from the lower leagues or England; or perhaps secure an impact lone deal. Best of all, however, would be to see some kids from the youth set ups making the breakthrough.

Magennis isn't a great player, that much is certainly true, but I'm not surprised that Killie appear to have signed him. I wouldn't have been thrilled if we'd kept him on, but nor would I have been surprised. Its the way of things.

We've signed Ross Caldwell, formerly of Hibs, and not quoted. Killie have signed Josh Magennis, formerly of Aberdenn and not quoted.

This is the market our respective clubs are now operating in, and anyone who cannot grasp and accept this might as well chuck it, because it is the reality.

Marquee signings are a thing of the past. The best we can hope for is that our club will pick up a bit-part player from elsewhere with a point to prove (Magennis/Caldwell?); a gem from the lower leagues or England; or perhaps secure an impact lone deal. Best of all, however, would be to see some kids from the youth set ups making the breakthrough.

Magennis isn't a great player, that much is certainly true, but I'm not surprised that Killie appear to have signed him. I wouldn't have been thrilled if we'd kept him on, but nor would I have been surprised. Its the way of things.

Spot on.

Pretty surprised to see big Josh get a top flight gig tbh. If he's not on a huge wedge though he's probably not the worst squad player in the world.

Maybe AJ will be the one to unlock his well hidden talents, but forgive me if I'm doubtful.

you sure its at Inverclyde? Heard from a good source it was down at KSC, that was at the weekend though so may have changed since then

Anyone know for sure of where it's at and the kick off time. Will probably head along.

I think our transfer business has been good so far, but I can't get my head around the signing of Magennis. It's alright taking a gamble on someone if they've shown signs of ability at some point, but this guy has basically been a consistent failure throughout his career at this level.

It seems like a total waste of a wage - he's basically being signed because he's strong and fast. I reckon he's this year's Mark Stewart. I refuse to believe that there are not better options out there.

That's only true of managers (like ours) who either lack the contacts or are unwilling to look outside of the UK for a player.

There are numerous more talented player than Ross Caldwell and Josh Magennis floating about Europe looking for clubs, but our managers have gone for the easy option.

That's only true of managers (like ours) who either lack the contacts or are unwilling to look outside of the UK for a player.

There are numerous more talented player than Ross Caldwell and Josh Magennis floating about Europe looking for clubs, but our managers have gone for the easy option.

Do we have the scouting network or cash to adequately scout these guys? We have/had a Dutch player (Bonavecia) and an Italian player (Tedeschi) training with us this summer, so that suggests that we are looking abroad in one sense. We just don't have the money to scour Europe for hidden gems, so we have to rely on contacts, agents and players for advice.

Also, we'd need to cover expenses for these guys to come over and train with us. Including flights, accommodation etc then you could be looking at a decent wedge for someone who may never sign.

Archived