Kilmarnock Transfer Summer 2014

There is a rumour resurfacing again that we are back after Jamie Hamill. Also hopefully this transfer window is the window in which Frimpong finally comes to his favourite club. ;)

Hamill can f**k right off, as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take him to be honest.

I quite like him too. Better than any of the full backs we've got just now.

Really? I'm surprised at you lads. Not just on principle would I not take him back, I don't believe he's actually all that good any more.

Really? I'm surprised at you lads. Not just on principle would I not take him back, I don't believe he's actually all that good any more.

I think he'd be good in midfield, as the foil to a fit Eremenko. Break up play, lay it off to Slater/Clingan who can set up Eremenko or the wide players. Don't ask him to do too much intricate work and he could benefit the team.

Hamill would be a better option than Clohessy at right-back, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near our midfield. Don't think I'd bother with him given the wages he commands.

Priority number 1 for me would be attempting to empty pretty much everyone Johnston signed in the summer. Barr could still do a job if we kept him fit, but he's far too big a wage to be taking that sort of gamble on. Get rid of Tesselaar too because he hasn't played well often enough. I have mixed opinions on Fowler - I still think he could offer something, but that would depend on wages and his willingness to be a bit part player like Garry Hay was last season.

I fear for the sort of absolute rubbish that will turn up in the summer if we keep Johnston though. His transfer record so far has been utterly abysmal.

Hamill would be a better option than Clohessy at right-back, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near our midfield. Don't think I'd bother with him given the wages he commands.

Priority number 1 for me would be attempting to empty pretty much everyone Johnston signed in the summer. Barr could still do a job if we kept him fit, but he's far too big a wage to be taking that sort of gamble on. Get rid of Tesselaar too because he hasn't played well often enough. I have mixed opinions on Fowler - I still think he could offer something, but that would depend on wages and his willingness to be a bit part player like Garry Hay was last season.

I fear for the sort of absolute rubbish that will turn up in the summer if we keep Johnston though. His transfer record so far has been utterly abysmal.

Not just an Allan Johnston problem. A host of ludicrous signings has plagued Kilmarnock for the last decade or so. Jefferies, Mixu, Shiels and AJ all signed more diddys than stars.

Not just an Allan Johnston problem. A host of ludicrous signings has plagued Kilmarnock for the last decade or so. Jefferies, Mixu, Shiels and AJ all signed more diddys than stars.

This statement applies to every manager there ever has been to be fair .

Even Alex Ferguson signed a few duds , better quality duds but duds when compared with the "star" players

This statement applies to every manager there ever has been to be fair .

Even Alex Ferguson signed a few duds , better quality duds but duds when compared with the "star" players

No it doesn't. Not when it's at the level that we've endured. I think for every good player we've signed in the last decade, you could name three awful additions.

For every Fernandez there was Paul Dalglish, Alan Morgan and Martyn Corrigan. For every Eremenko there was Billy Berntsson, Benjamin Laurant and Scott Evans. For every Heffernan there was Leon Panikvar, Patrick Ada and Zdenek Kroca.

As for the thread itself, I'll look at the squad and see who we should keep and who we should punt etc on the proviso that we stay up. Starting with those that seem to be out-of-contract:

Jeroen Tesselaar - An interesting one, as I feel he's improved in recent weeks. Could that be because his contract is about to run out? I personally think we could do better than Tess for the money he'll be on, and he hasn't really grown into the player we all hoped he could after making the step up to a much bigger side. So unfortunately, I think it should be - PUNT

Ismael Bouzid - Looked to be forming a decent partnership with Barr in the few games they played together, and no doubt a classy defender. However, far too injury prone, and hasn't really had much of a chance to shine. If he was on small wages then perhaps he might be worth a risk, but for me it's - PUNT

Darren Barr - Another that has struggled with injury issues since joining, but had impressed in the first half of the season. Many seemed to write him off because of his performance levels at Hearts, but I feel he had slotted in to our side well. If he can get himself fit then I'd be willing to keep him, as I think he offers us something - especially in terms of the number of positions he can play - KEEP

James Fowler - A Killie great, that has given his all to us for seventeen years. But there's no place for sentimentality in our position, and the continual selection of Garry Hay last season for example was one of the factors in us not finishing top 6. He isn't cut out for football at this level anymore, so it's a PUNT (but I'd keep him on in a coaching role if he wishes to).

Barry Nicholson - A decent back-up option, but is getting to the stage when he probably can't be relied on for another full season. Thanks for the goal against Hibs Barry, but it's a PUNT

Kris Boyd - Where do you start? He's almost single-handedly kept us in the division for another season, and has definitely kept Allan Johnston in employment. Such a change in him, he's almost unrecognisable to the lazy so-and-so that he was first time round in Scotland. If he chooses to have one more crack at English football, then fair play to him, he owes us nothing. If he stays, I'll cry little tears of joy. Shouldn't even need to elaborate, but KEEP

Ross Barbour - Not sure exactly when his contract ends, but I believe it's this summer. He has definitely benefitted from the 'longer you're out the side, the better you get' syndrome among football fans, and the way some fans went on you'd think he'd been world class in his first team spell last season. He'd had a decent run in the team, and looked good going forward, but shaky at the back. Hadn't looked like featuring at all this season, until the AJ/SC player tombola chose him for inclusion against 'Well. For me, not quite as good as Clohessy, but if he can get his fitness levels back to where they are then KEEP as back-up.

Alexei Eremenko - Hasn't lit up the league as we all hoped, but there'll be a number of reasons for that. He's spoken in the press about wanting to stay and get a full pre-season under his belt. Can't imagine that would do him any harm, and a fit Eremenko is still among the most talented players in the division. Provided his wage demands are reasonable - KEEP

Others that I'd like to get out the door would be Willie Gros (a shambles), Rory McKeown (a poor mans Tesselaar), Jude Winchester and Ross Davidson (not going to cut it I'm afraid). It would be nice to see Samson go too, but that seems unlikely.

If Boyd goes, then a striker would be a priority obviously, However, I'd like to see Rory McKenzie make the lone striker role his own. Pace to burn and a good finisher, I believe that's his natural position (as anyone that saw him play there for the U20s at Murray Park would testify) and he'd suit Johnston's 'raking passes' mentality well. Muirhead is improving week-on-week and will be a star, but can't be relied on yet. A new left-back would be nice, as would a solid defender with no real fitness concerns. A central midfielder to partner or rival Slater/Clingan wouldn't go a miss too.

Winchester, Gros, McKeown, Tesselaar. Nicholson, Barr, Bouzid and Fowler leave own club after out-of-contract

Anyone who doesn't think Djemba-Djemba could still play at the highest level clearly knows nothing about football. Such a graceful player.

NIce of you to supply your own (albeit thuggish) facepalm for that statement.

Allan Johnston's proportion of terrible signings has been substantially more than any other Killie manager in my time watching the club. At least the other guys all made good signings in amongst the bad ones.

Not one single player who Johnston has signed has made any sort of meaningful and consistent contribution to our season.

Archived