Kilmarnock Transfer Summer 2014

Josh Magennis on trial at Killie according to Twitter

Thank christ.

A tall Northern Irish striker who's previous club is Aberdeen? Just shouts future St Johnstone dud to me - fingers crossed we leave that one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if it was for cover, that would be an abysmal signing. The guy looks exactly like what he is - a goalkeeper who has been asked to play outfield. He has pace and power but he doesn't know how to do anything useful with it.

craigkillie, on 30 Jun 2014 - 14:14, said:

Even if it was for cover, that would be an abysmal signing. The guy looks exactly like what he is - a goalkeeper who has been asked to play outfield. He has pace and power but he doesn't know how to do anything useful with it.

We're looking for a striker with pace and power to play the one man up front role. Paul Hartley will probably know him from Aberdeen too. So if you lot can hurry up and sign Magennis that'd be smashing, thanks.

He looks like the sort of player who would be a handful to play against. How was he at St Mirren?

Powerful, athletic and seemingly a nice guy off the pitch.

He was a handful with his presence but when it comes down to it he isn't up to the standard of this league even as a squad player.

Would be astonished if Killie sign him.

How many more chances can we afford to give Ohara? He's not done it so far.... I would loan him out down the league to toughen him up and see what he's got and if he's not got it get rid of him.

As others have said, he's basically a wee boy. Trying not to sound too creepy here, but he posted a picture on Instagram of him and mates on holiday and by christ, he's built like a brick shithouse. Hopefully that indicates that he's been working on that part of his game over the last while. If he can become stronger then he has most of the other attributes needed to do very well in this game. Muirhead likewise, if he can build up his body strength then there's no saying what he can achieve.

Why did reguero not get a game? Far better than Samson.

"Far better"? Really? I was comfortable with Reguero signing as first-choice at the time because I felt he had it in him to perform adequately at this level, but Samson and he are much of a muchness. A ludicrous decision to sign two 'keepers of similar ability on decent wages.

I see that we've reached that point in every season where folk are getting concerned about our squad despite the fact we haven't even started pre-season.

Plenty of players have left, but Boyd is the only massive loss so far and I'm sure we'll bring in someone to replace him. It would be good to get Eremenko for next season too.

I would have kept Fowler, but he hardly featured last year. Maksimenko and Irvine were decent enough and might be worth looking at again. Clohessy is pish and would have been 2nd choice anyway. Reguero didn't play a game, Gardyne was hopeless, Nicholson was past it, McKeown barely featured. Hopefully Tesselaar leaves too, because he's not good enough.

Looking at what's left, we still have Samson in goals, Barbour, Pascali, Ashcroft as 3 of our back 4 plus O'Hara as cover, Hamill, Clingan and Slater for central midfield, McKenzie/Muirhead, Johnston and Kiltie for the wide areas and Muirhead/McKenzie up front.

We wouldn't want to go into the season looking like that obviously, but it's not actually that bad a team if you stick O'Hara at left-back. I'd expect us at the very least to bring in one left-back, another centre-back, an attacking midfielder and a striker. The main issue will be whether Johnston is able to identify good targets who are actually capable of playing at this level - his record last season was dreadful in that respect.

Agree with pretty much most of this.

I'd imagine that we'll start the season playing a 4-3-1-2, so I like the idea of a deep midfield three with Hamill, Clingan and Slater (Hamill providing the defensive work to allow Clingan and Slater to roam) with a creative midfielder sitting behind the front two of as yet unannounced striker (target man type) and Rory McKenzie.

Magennis would be ok for Killie imo. Presumably would not break the bank either was on a very low wage at the dandies.

Boyd & Goodwillie versus Miller and Magennis is not ideal

but will stick my neck out and say those two strikers would still be good enough to keep you in the division

He might be on trial, but your lot took him on loan last year. No position to laugh at anyone.

And he was pish :lol:

The fact that Killie are even looking at him shows how far you've fallen in terms of caliber of player you're looking at.

As others have said, he's basically a wee boy. Trying not to sound too creepy here, but he posted a picture on Instagram of him and mates on holiday and by christ, he's built like a brick shithouse. Hopefully that indicates that he's been working on that part of his game over the last while. If he can become stronger then he has most of the other attributes needed to do very well in this game. Muirhead likewise, if he can build up his body strength then there's no saying what he can achieve.

"Far better"? Really? I was comfortable with Reguero signing as first-choice at the time because I felt he had it in him to perform adequately at this level, but Samson and he are much of a muchness. A ludicrous decision to sign two 'keepers of similar ability on decent wages.

How many games has Killie won with Ohara playing? I am going to disagree with you. He doesn't track runners he just points at them....it happened against celtic at rugby park, a runner from midfield just glided past him and scored....in my opinion lee Ashcroft is twice theplayer Ohara will be

Agree with pretty much most of this.

I'd imagine that we'll start the season playing a 4-3-1-2, so I like the idea of a deep midfield three with Hamill, Clingan and Slater (Hamill providing the defensive work to allow Clingan and Slater to roam) with a creative midfielder sitting behind the front two of as yet unannounced striker (target man type) and Rory McKenzie.

Cairney and Magennis. Boom.

And he was pish :lol:

The fact that Killie are even looking at him shows how far you've fallen in terms of caliber of player you're looking at.

I take this silly season "on trial" status with a pinch of salt. What the press may call "on trial" could just as likely be us offering him training facilities whilst at the same time keeping an eye on him. We had plenty "on trial" in the last few years, and most haven't signed for one reason or another.

Your lot actually signed him (albeit on loan) and chose him to start SEVEN first-team matches. Once he signs for Killie then we can discuss it further, but as it stands - you can't mock anyone about Mr Magennis.

I think Cairney was discussed earlier in this thread and I said I'd be pretty happy to bring him in. Don't think he's going to be a nailed down regular every week, but he's definitely a good option to have in the squad. Hits a very good dead ball and is good at creating chances. Now we just need to find someone (not Magennis!) to get on the end of those chances.

Archived