Bloody Edinburgh trams

Well nothing - might not make up for all the tourists that visited over the last seven years and thought I'm not coming back to this fucking eyesore of a city !

Ok Bawjaws, so you you nothing about M& T

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were you looking for the Welsh thread :blink:

I take it you have f**k all say on the subject?

er st

What do they say Ned on these thread "swing and a mi....

No I would say "scrambl......

wit an arse - SlippperyP

Eta - Sorry Ned, I've had the word bawjaws circulating in the mind for 2 weeks, I know it comes from somwhere, but never had the chance....Yer a git c**t Ned I like you...but you still not a clue about M & T

I take it you have f**k all say on the subject?

er st

What do they say Ned on these thread "swing and a mi....

No I would say "scrambl......

wit an arse - SlippperyP

Eta - Sorry Ned, I've had the word bawjaws circulating in the mind for 2 weeks, I know it comes from somwhere, but never had the chance....Yer a git c**t Ned I like you...but you still not a clue about M & T

Popty ping !?

Not Leith then ;)

As I said, it would have been a surprise if the route from the city centre down to Leith would have turned it from loss making into profit. Given the original plans were for a much bigger route (twice as long as what we've got, according to this article) its not really surprising its going to run at a loss initially.

From the wiki article it wasn't Leith or Granton, it was Newhaven where the line was to terminate. Does Newhaven count as Leith?

The construction costs are huge. I don't think those were considered when talking about profit/loss. If they did finish the job and take the line to Newhaven then obviously the construction costs would rise substantially.

From the BBC article I posted they talk of £85 million in maintenance and refurbishment costs over 15 years. Those being operational costs, rather than the initial construction costs.

If they had forecast that the line would go further and more people would use it, then I agree that's no surprise it will run at a loss.

You never know though. Edinburgh Castle visitor figures were up again. That sort of thing keeps up and who knows. Then you just need to find some brave councillors to back the rest and some competent consultants and contractors to complete it.

I'm expecting this to be a success. The construction was a shambles, but the finished project looks brilliant.

Once they find the funds to build Phase II to Leith, I'm expecting Phase III to follow-on quickly - I'd say Newington / Cameron Toll / ERI (inc new sick kids hospital) / Sheriffhall P&R / Shawfair Railway / QMU / Musselburgh would be popular.

On a tram related note, read this story, look at the wee boy's name. CHAPMAN for fucks sake, what kind of a first name is that??

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/tram-bosses-use-father-ted-slogan-for-safety-1-3360034

Chapman Whitfield Mathers, no less.

Guaranteed to be white settlers from Darn Sarf. Daddy will be something in the Edinburgh hedge fund scene and mummy will be a big fan of car boot sales and decoupage.

(Sorry, I've had a shite day.... :( )

most projects in my lifetime in Edinburgh have been clusterfucks: there was a big hole in the ground at Greenside Place that had a sign on it "New BBC Scotland HQ". Then they made it into a car park in the late 80s. It was meant to be a hotel but the recession came. Eventually they completed it and it's a cinema and pub complex.

There was another hole in the ground at Castle Terrace that was meant to be Edinburgh's opera house- that was eventually filled by offices.

The Central Mosque at Potterow was started in the late 80s - then Gulf War I broke out and the mosque was left unfinished for years.

There is the mess that is the Scottish Parliament- built by the wrong architecture on the wrong site and still half falling down.

You'd think the grand monument to clusterfuckery that is the half built acropolis on Calton Hill would remind people to be careful starting projects in Edinburgh..

anyway I watched a couple of trams tootling past Haymarket the other day and thought they brought the air of a continental city to Edinburgh. OK that continental city was Moscow in December but you can't have everything...

From the wiki article it wasn't Leith or Granton, it was Newhaven where the line was to terminate. Does Newhaven count as Leith?

The construction costs are huge. I don't think those were considered when talking about profit/loss. If they did finish the job and take the line to Newhaven then obviously the construction costs would rise substantially.

From the BBC article I posted they talk of £85 million in maintenance and refurbishment costs over 15 years. Those being operational costs, rather than the initial construction costs.

If they had forecast that the line would go further and more people would use it, then I agree that's no surprise it will run at a loss.

You never know though. Edinburgh Castle visitor figures were up again. That sort of thing keeps up and who knows. Then you just need to find some brave councillors to back the rest and some competent consultants and contractors to complete it.

As I said, I dont know Edinburgh that well. I just presumed that Newhaven and Granton were more or less the same place - they look kinda close on the map :ph34r:

It will take brave councillors to push for further routes, you're right. That, probably more than the success of the first route, will determine whether or not there ever are any further routes. In the long term, there really has to be to make the whole thing worthwhile.

As I said, I dont know Edinburgh that well. I just presumed that Newhaven and Granton were more or less the same place - they look kinda close on the map :ph34r:

It will take brave councillors to push for further routes, you're right. That, probably more than the success of the first route, will determine whether or not there ever are any further routes. In the long term, there really has to be to make the whole thing worthwhile.

I'm not really sure what's classed as Leith, and where Newhaven ends and Granton begins. From driving through them Newhaven (more so the nearby Trinity area) look reasonable. Granton looks a bit dodgy. Next destination is Muirhouse and that's grim.

If they don't complete the project, then it's all just been a bit of a waste of time. They would have been better just taking the railway line out to the airport.

June 2020.

Really? :o

Kidding. This June.

Oh, I see what you did :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what's classed as Leith, and where Newhaven ends and Granton begins. From driving through them Newhaven (more so the nearby Trinity area) look reasonable. Granton looks a bit dodgy. Next destination is Muirhouse and that's grim.

If they don't complete the project, then it's all just been a bit of a waste of time. They would have been better just taking the railway line out to the airport.

Agreed. You've got to start somewhere, though. Which was my original point ... I think :lol:

Oh I wonder where on earth they'll find glorified busy-body councillors who'll want to spend bucket-loads of other people's money? That's a tough one.

:lol:

Fair point. They might not find themselves councillors for much longer afterwards though. So, who would win in a battle between self-preservation and spunking loads of public money?

Fair point. They might not find themselves councillors for much longer afterwards though. So, who would win in a battle between self-preservation and spunking loads of public money?

Hmm. "Well Mr Building Contractor, here's a multi-billion pound contract. Any chance of a "consultancy" job in a few months?

It certainly used to be seperate a long time ago.

The question is similar to the "Do Hibs Play in Leith?" one only more confused because the Newhaven stop would principally be serving the new Western Harbour development

western_harbour_aerial.jpg

Which is build on land that wasn't even there 100 years ago.

Archived