Bloody Edinburgh trams

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Genuine question, as Im not that familiar with the ins and outs of Edinburgh geography, but why? A route from the city centre out to the airport, taking in Waverley Station, Murrayfield and the zoo seems like a decent start. It would have been better if it extended down to Leith, but as a starting route Im not sure whats wrong with it.

The first Sheffield route was from the city centre out to the Meadowhall shopping centre, past the Don Valley stadium. Theres now a huge cinema/bowling/food complex just beside the stadium, presumably as a result of the tram route.

It took years to extend that, and add other, routes to the university campus and into more residential areas

Mr X get away from this thread you speak too much sense

The first Sheffield route was from the city centre out to the Meadowhall shopping centre, past the Don Valley stadium. Theres now a huge cinema/bowling/food complex just beside the stadium, presumably as a result of the tram route.

It took years to extend that, and add other, routes to the university campus and into more residential areas

Forgot about centretainment but yes I would presume all that was built there because of the tram root and it only takes 10 minutes from city centre or 2 minutes meadowhall to get there. These places are rammed every midweek night and even more so on Saturday and Sundays as you have everything there for everybody even young kids plus you have about 6 food restaurants there too. There also in the starting stages of building a massive IKEA which again will make people take the tram because it will be easy to get to.

But in five, or ten years time - maybe sooner - that will all be forgotten about and you'll be left with a very useful tram system.

Not unless they actually complete the envisaged project. They should at least get it running down to Ocean Terminal.

Ocean terminal is a must, to get it to go up Leith walk would pay for itself in no time its one of the busiest streets in Edinburgh and a good chunk of the population commute up and down it on a daily basis its always mobbed!

It was actually meant to go right at the zoo though and the plan changed, ten minute walk is hardly ideal!

Obviously, going right past it would have been better, but a short walk is hardly the end of the world

Not unless they actually complete the envisaged project. They should at least get it running down to Ocean Terminal.

That would certainly make a big difference. Doesnt mean the current route cant/wont be successful though.

I think the route will be successful but because of the time it took an how much of a f**k up it was for a good while its got off to a bad start. It won't benefit me or anyone i know in the city because of where we are so I'm not exactly triumphing just yet. The sheer amount of tourists that will use it will make it a success to some extent but it could be a lot better

Obviously, going right past it would have been better, but a short walk is hardly the end of the world

That would certainly make a big difference. Doesnt mean the current route cant/wont be successful though.

According to their business plan it does. I'm sure I read that the thing was expected to run at a loss, due to the shortened route. However, you never know.

According to their business plan it does. I'm sure I read that the thing was expected to run at a loss, due to the shortened route. However, you never know.

Really? I know it would be a busy route, but it does seem odd that the financial success would depend on that short part.

I was speaking more generally about "success", rather than just financially

Chances are I'll pretty much never use it unless the route is extended. If I'm going to the airport with luggage, I'll get a taxi. Been out to the RBS site for a work event once and having to go there again would be the only reason I can think of where it would be most conveniant to use the tram.

Sure it will have some advantages for the city in terms of tourism links / easing traffic around Murrayfield etc though, as well as crearing jobs. Will take a long time to know whether its had a net benefit to the city or been a total waste of time.

Really? I know it would be a busy route, but it does seem odd that the financial success would depend on that short part.

I was speaking more generally about "success", rather than just financially

Aye.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23002679

It will be subsidised by the buses.

I was all for the trams at the start, but the way the project has been mismanaged has severely dented my enthusiasm for them. The truncated line, blown budget, various scandals and general disruption have not been a good start. Depending on how they go though, I would like to see the original plans come to fruition.

That says it will run at a loss, initially, which isnt surprising. It doesnt say that running the route to Leith would have made it profitable

Come on now, Mr X. That's how projects get the stamp of approval. The original plans showed the line making a profit.

Think the line was originally meant to terminate at Granton and a new QMU campus was going to be built down there.

From memory, initially there was going to be a circle line in the centre of town, then a line out to the airport. There were then plans to take a line out to Newcraighall. Might yet happen of this line is successful, and they can find some more politicians willing to stick their political necks on the block.

Come on now, Mr X. That's how projects get the stamp of approval. The original plans showed the line making a profit.

Think the line was originally meant to terminate at Granton and a new QMU campus was going to be built down there.

From memory, initially there was going to be a circle line in the centre of town, then a line out to the airport. There were then plans to take a line out to Newcraighall. Might yet happen of this line is successful, and they can find some more politicians willing to stick their political necks on the block.

Not Leith then ;)

As I said, it would have been a surprise if the route from the city centre down to Leith would have turned it from loss making into profit. Given the original plans were for a much bigger route (twice as long as what we've got, according to this article) its not really surprising its going to run at a loss initially.

Archived