Bloody Edinburgh trams

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the project was a complete financial disaster but from an entirely selfish point of view they're brilliant.

There's a stop two minutes from my house and it gets me to the center of town about twice as fast as the bus would. Maybe only 30% faster when the roads are quiet.

Pleasing.

Got on at York Place and nipped across to Shandwick Place and back. We sat at the lights at the Lothian Road junction for ages though and we got off at St. Andrews Square as there was another tram sitting at York Place ours was waiting on. I think they're pretty nifty but no air con? It was sweltering in them.

I haven't seen the trams as I no longer live in Edinburgh but I've never understood exactly where the tramlines could fit in as the roads in the centre of Edinburgh are permanently in a traffic jam aren't they?

Ah, that explains it.

I mean I'm assuming they fit them in somehow, and the extra expense wasn't incurred by introducing some warping of the space-time continuum to double the size of Princes St. Although admittedly it wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened in Edinburgh.

I mean I'm assuming they fit them in somehow, and the extra expense wasn't incurred by introducing some warping of the space-time continuum to double the size of Princes St. Although admittedly it wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened in Edinburgh.

Have a look here to see where they fit in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-27602618

People who make a special trip to sit on a fucking crowded sweltering tram on launch day, with no actual journey that they require to make, just so they can say that they did it, thus bragging about probably the most un-bragable thing in the history of the world, are the scum of the earth.* Don't get me fucking started on the #tramselfie #dingding cretinous c***s on twitter.

*P&B posters very much included.

e: <<< seething

On the 31st of May, no one died.

On the 1st of June, no one died.

On the 2nd of June, no one died.

On the 3rd of June, no one died.

Have there been any incidents with pigeons getting inside the trams?

People who make a special trip to sit on a fucking crowded sweltering tram on launch day, with no actual journey that they require to make, just so they can say that they did it, thus bragging about probably the most un-bragable thing in the history of the world, are the scum of the earth.* Don't get me fucking started on the #tramselfie #dingding cretinous c***s on twitter.

*P&B posters very much included.

e: <<< seething

Thank Christ I waited until the second day then before we embarked on our non- journey

I actually saw a working tram for the first time yesterday and the first thing that went through my head was "I wonder when the first serious accident / fatality / cyclist going under a tram" will happen.

I bet it's this week.

1direction gig tomorrow night, nailed on certainty.

Have a look here to see where they fit in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-27602618

I knew it was a screw up, but not quite how much of one:

The Edinburgh tram route cost £776m and covers 8.7 miles (14km) from the New Town to Edinburgh Airport.

In the decade since the first money was allocated to the project, the price has doubled, the network has halved and it has taken twice as long to build as originally planned.

Edinburgh has 27 trams in its fleet, although only about half of these will be in service at any one time.

The reason for all the unused trams is that they'd already bought them when they halved the size of the network. They'd also paid for all the extra track, so presumably there's 9 miles of it rusting in a pile somewhere. A quick check on Edinburgh Airport's website tells me that the tram takes 5 minutes longer than the bus.

Archived