Bloody Edinburgh trams

April fools jokes are unbelievably shite. This is probably my most hated day of the year. They make me so angry. I have been genuinely seething all morning.

Also, anyone that doesn't see the trams as a great improvement is a cretinous wee luddite.

^Prime example. Fucking imbecile.

Ooh, internet hardman.

Come on then oracle, explain to us why the trams in Edinburgh are an improvement. (Luddite should have a capital 'L' by the way, not that you are a cretin or anything...)

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April fools jokes are unbelievably shite. This is probably my most hated day of the year. They make me so angry. I have been genuinely seething all morning.

Also, anyone that doesn't see the trams as a great improvement is a cretinous wee luddite.

^Prime example. Fucking imbecile.

So they've invented a kind of bus that can't use anything but a dedicated route?

25hl4xt.gif

The trams are probably a good idea but getting the council to take on the project to try save money came back to bite them in the butt and the city has turned into a laughing stock.

Ooh, internet hardman.

Come on then oracle, explain to us why the trams in Edinburgh are an improvement. (Luddite should have a capital 'L' by the way, not that you are a cretin or anything...)

I don't agree with them when it was commissioned, or even now, but they are here. I do think it will take time for the locals to accept but over the period there here to stay, and will be an improvement than the clusterfuck of edinburgh commuting we have, however it will have to expand to other reaches so everyone benefits...f**k know how, you're on your own on that one.

I take great pleasure taken the wee ones on a tram trek when I return 8)

It's pretty obvious. Population increase from economic growth, natural population increase and peak oil all mean rapid transport investment is vital.

The real hubris comes from those who think it's a good idea for humans to continue travelling about in personal fossil-fueled vehicles. These are usually the same people who constantly complain about traffic and petrol prices. They also find April Fool's jokes amusing. Cretins.

It's pretty obvious. Population increase from economic growth, natural population increase and peak oil all mean rapid transport investment is vital.

The real hubris comes from those who think it's a good idea for humans to continue travelling about in personal fossil-fueled vehicles. These are usually the same people who constantly complain about traffic and petrol prices. They also find April Fool's jokes amusing. Cretins.

So that's it ? :huh:

As Walter Smith said to Chico "You must have been up all night working that oot.."

With living in sheffield I can safely say Trams are ideal for big cities including Edinburgh and that it will be a huge success aswell. I mean you get to places so much quicker on trams as you basically skip all the traffic and i bet a lot of workers in Edinburgh will start going on trams to work just because it's easier and faster than taking your car. You skip all the rush hour traffic when leaving work so what could be a an hour journey back home could take less than half an hour. What company is running Edinburgh trams as there gonna be making good money if it's anything like trams here as everyday there packed with commuters.

And what is wrong with marketing tourism? Keep many in jobs, also would the trams not take some of the bus commuter off their hands, also good as during certain hrs of the day it can be hectic.

in one word. Cost. Theres no way having a tram network is going to recoop funds through extra visits alone

With living in sheffield I can safely say Trams are ideal for big cities including Edinburgh and that it will be a huge success aswell. I mean you get to places so much quicker on trams as you basically skip all the traffic and i bet a lot of workers in Edinburgh will start going on trams to work just because it's easier and faster than taking your car. You skip all the rush hour traffic when leaving work so what could be a an hour journey back home could take less than half an hour. What company is running Edinburgh trams as there gonna be making good money if it's anything like trams here as everyday there packed with commuters.

I was living in Sheffield when they started work on (and completed) the first line. There were lots of complaints from locals etc - although I dont remember the same level of clusterfuckery over the management - especially businesses along the routes where roads were being dug up.

I was back last year and took a tram from, almost, one side of the city to the other, much quicker than we could have driven or on the bus. There are a load more routes than when I was last there and the whole system seemed busy.

In theory it's a good idea, but in practice they've utterly fucked up. Massive waste of resources and time due to the utter mess they've made of it. All involved should be fired and never again allowed to hold such positions where they can make such decisions.

In theory it's a good idea, but in practice they've utterly fucked up. Massive waste of resources and time due to the utter mess they've made of it. All involved should be fired and never again allowed to hold such positions where they can make such decisions.

It sounded so bad BTW - I've spoke to a few people who used to work on it, one guy had f**k all experience apart from doing labour work for civil works companies and ended up getting a job as a quantity surveyor there and had absolutely no idea what he was doing :lol:

Think the problem with it was they fucked up the concrete design and it cracked in the cold and all had to come up plus they needed to get germans in to sort it all because they tried to cut corners. An absolute embarrassment to one of Europes finest cities

But in five, or ten years time - maybe sooner - that will all be forgotten about and you'll be left with a very useful tram system.

in one word. Cost. Theres no way having a tram network is going to recoop funds through extra visits alone

You are way off the mark. The system will re coop in at least 300 years

But in five, or ten years time - maybe sooner - that will all be forgotten about and you'll be left with a very useful tram system.

But it's not that useful. If it did the intended route it would be, but the reduced route renders it pointless.

I was living in Sheffield when they started work on (and completed) the first line. There were lots of complaints from locals etc - although I dont remember the same level of clusterfuckery over the management - especially businesses along the routes where roads were being dug up.

I was back last year and took a tram from, almost, one side of the city to the other, much quicker than we could have driven or on the bus. There are a load more routes than when I was last there and the whole system seemed busy.

^^^ This...They can work and work very well... We all know the whole process/political going on of the whole shitefest, however over the long run it will be good - for your grandchildren

Were the trams originally meant to go all the way to Granton?

But it's not that useful. If it did the intended route it would be, but the reduced route renders it pointless.

Genuine question, as Im not that familiar with the ins and outs of Edinburgh geography, but why? A route from the city centre out to the airport, taking in Waverley Station, Murrayfield and the zoo seems like a decent start. It would have been better if it extended down to Leith, but as a starting route Im not sure whats wrong with it.

The first Sheffield route was from the city centre out to the Meadowhall shopping centre, past the Don Valley stadium. Theres now a huge cinema/bowling/food complex just beside the stadium, presumably as a result of the tram route.

It took years to extend that, and add other, routes to the university campus and into more residential areas

They are now 3 routes and I think there adding to that as think there trying to build a root from meadowhall right into Rotherham. So in theory right there just shows how successful it is in sheffield if there trying to add that route. I do reckon its a success because all your popular places in sheffield has a tram link. Your places like meadowhall, city centre Hillsborough are all easy to get to by tram. But then you also got trams that go near both football stadiums so everytime they play its full of supporters and if something is happening at the Motorpoint Arena like a concert then trams are busy as there's a tram stop right outside it. Also when the crucible is on you get people outside of sheffield travelling on trams just like when there a concert at the motorpoint arena as it's only a 2 minute walk in the city centre from the tram stop. If Edinburgh have put a tram line near all your popular places then I don't see how it can fail.

Archived