Bloody Edinburgh trams

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

£207 Million to extend by 2.8 miles :o

Will this involve relaying track where they dug up the streets at leith Walk to lay track for a 2nd time ?

Works out as £45,000 a metre if my sums are right. They should build a hyper loop instead.

• 1 month later...

In a surprise to no one the extension to Newhaven has been given the go ahead.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/2630/all_aboard_for_trams_to_newhaven_as_project_gets_the_green_light

I'm certainly not against the tram line being extended but it does seem like it's being rushed through. The plans to send traffic up Easter Road as a diversionary route are mental, the area it will travel along has some of the most frequent bus services in the city and it's another 3 or 4 years of roadworks for the good folk of Leith to have to deal with. Also means the money spent on doing up parts of Leith Walk has been pissed away as the street will now be torn up again for the tram line. No wonder local authorities are broke.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:27, MEADOWXI said:

£207 Million to extend by 2.8 miles :o

Will this involve relaying track where they dug up the streets at leith Walk to lay track for a 2nd time ?

It's a heavily populated area, and it's becoming more dense all the time to be fair. If they find a way to extend it out to the ridiculous amount of flats in Brownfield being built, or even take the old railway line to Portobello then it's becomes well worth the cost IMO.

26 minutes ago, RiG said:

In a surprise to no one the extension to Newhaven has been given the go ahead.

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/2630/all_aboard_for_trams_to_newhaven_as_project_gets_the_green_light

I'm certainly not against the tram line being extended but it does seem like it's being rushed through. The plans to send traffic up Easter Road as a diversionary route are mental, the area it will travel along has some of the most frequent bus services in the city and it's another 3 or 4 years of roadworks for the good folk of Leith to have to deal with. Also means the money spent on doing up parts of Leith Walk has been pissed away as the street will now be torn up again for the tram line. No wonder local authorities are broke.

It's the right thing to do long term as it will only get worse with the amount of cars, while reducing the amount of buses between Leith walk and Easter Road, but I will definitely be buying a bike to negotiate traffic for the next 3-4 years.

Archived