New handsets 2016

Mik

Big changes for the S6, copying Apple's lead with no removable battery, no expandable memory, handsets set to 32GB, 64GB and 128GB, no longer waterproof. Just some things to consider.

Big changes for the S6, copying Apple's lead with no removable battery, no expandable memory, handsets set to 32GB, 64GB and 128GB, no longer waterproof. Just some things to consider.

Not to mention it's absolutely extortionate starting at £599.99 for the normal s6 and a whopping £760 for the edge!!!

Edited by #Gary

Wife dropped her iPhone5 down the loo (fell out her back pocket) and after working for about a week is just died. She wanted to move away from Apple as she wanted a better camera and eventually plumped for a Sony Z3 Compact over a Samsung Galaxy S5 Compact.

The transition from iOS to Android is proving painful to us both

Wife dropped her iPhone5 down the loo (fell out her back pocket) and after working for about a week is just died. She wanted to move away from Apple as she wanted a better camera and eventually plumped for a Sony Z3 Compact over a Samsung Galaxy S5 Compact.

The transition from iOS to Android is proving painful to us both

What is it with women? Daft bint in my work has done that 3 times!!!!!! Most women I've seen keep theirs in back pocket....They surely have more room in the front than blokes?

What is it with women? Daft bint in my work has done that 3 times!!!!!! Most women I've seen keep theirs in back pocket....They surely have more room in the front than blokes?

Front pockets in women's trousers aren't very deep.... apparently

Asked this in the quick question thread too...

Anything better than a second gen Moto G for less than £150?

No idea. I only just realised there are two versions of the moto G, the Moto G 4G and the Moto G 5 (which is 3g)..both are 5 inch screen phones but I think the diff is the camera (difference of 3mp).

Can't decide between the two, how important is 4g for future-proofing yourself?

I'm looking at getting a new phone, I've got an iPhone 5 just now. I've had it about two and a half years and just fancy a change so going to try an Android phone. I just bought the iPhone outright and will probably do the same as just now I'm paying £7.50 a month for 2GB data, unlimited texts and 500 minutes.

I'd consider myself to be clued up on most things tech but mobile phones are something I don't keep up to date with, especially Android ones as the manufacturers are releasing a new model every other week... Here are the handsets I've shortlisted so far, anyone care to give any pointers on any, or offer other suggestions?

Motorola MotoG 2nd Gen model

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy A5

Samsung Galaxy S4

Huawei Ascend G7

Huawei Ascend P6

Cheers

Edit - sorry mods, never saw this thread!

Sony Z3 compact is about £240 to buy from o2 currently.

Thinking about changing phone/deal.

Have a Samsung Galaxy Ace just now, had it for over two years and haven't been arsed to go get a new handset.

Paying £25 a month for unlimited everything just now. My two year contract has now expired so just need to give Virgin 28 days notice if I plan to cancel.

Anybody any good advice on handsets or good deals going just now?

Same handset as mentioned in other post. £28 a month for z3 compact - unlimited mins, texts and 2gb data. If you're a student or work for certain companies you get discount which would make it about £23 a month.

No idea. I only just realised there are two versions of the moto G, the Moto G 4G and the Moto G 5 (which is 3g)..both are 5 inch screen phones but I think the diff is the camera (difference of 3mp).

Can't decide between the two, how important is 4g for future-proofing yourself?

I've been reading about this this week. Motorola just released a new version of the 4G model and they really haven't given them good names to differentiate between them all.

Basically, there are now two versions of the Moto G---"first generation" and "second generation"---and they both come in 3G and 4G versions. The second gen ones have a 5" screen and a better camera as the most obvious differences to the first gen.

The second gen 4G model is only £10 more than the second gen 3G model, but the 3G model is dual-sim (which might make a difference for some) and the 4G isn't. Personally I'll be getting the second gen 4G because I'm with 3 who give you 4G as standard.

I've been reading about this this week. Motorola just released a new version of the 4G model and they really haven't given them good names to differentiate between them all.

Basically, there are now two versions of the Moto G---"first generation" and "second generation"---and they both come in 3G and 4G versions. The second gen ones have a 5" screen and a better camera as the most obvious differences to the first gen.

The second gen 4G model is only £10 more than the second gen 3G model, but the 3G model is dual-sim (which might make a difference for some) and the 4G isn't. Personally I'll be getting the second gen 4G because I'm with 3 who give you 4G as standard.

So 4G is only relevant if you surf using mobile packet data? My current rolling monthly sim-only doesn't include data, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it - wi-fi only can be a pain sometimes but worried about going way over-board data plans due to background apps and stuff.

So 4G is only relevant if you surf using mobile packet data? My current rolling monthly sim-only doesn't include data, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it - wi-fi only can be a pain sometimes but worried about going way over-board data plans due to background apps and stuff.

My sim-only contract is something like £12 a month with 3 and gets me unlimited data.

Its actually really hard to go mental on data use unless you're really hammering it with streaming videos and songs or video calls. Before I got unlimited data I used to keep an eye on my usage and rarely went over 750 Mb a month, and that was with me doing quite a lot on it.

My sim-only contract is something like £12 a month with 3 and gets me unlimited data.

Its actually really hard to go mental on data use unless you're really hammering it with streaming videos and songs or video calls. Before I got unlimited data I used to keep an eye on my usage and rarely went over 750 Mb a month, and that was with me doing quite a lot on it.

Fair enough.

My gf does it fairly regularly, getting warning texts from Vodafone too. But she is pretty frivolous and uses it to watch netflix and tethering etc. I'm pretty consicious of my internet usage anyway (e.g making sure all apps update on wi-fi only but there are some sneaky apps out there].

Due an upgrade just now, am currently on 3 - 35 quid p.m for 600 minutes, 3k texts and unlimited data. Had a look at a demo version of both galaxy s6's yesterday, and can get the non edge version with 7gb data (enough for me) and unlimited texts and minutes for less than I'm paying now. Will also get the free wireless charger, free case, and 2 years free Sky Sports Mobile TV. Really tempted...

Edited by mozam76

Due an upgrade just now, am currently on 3 - 35 quid p.m for 600 minutes, 3k texts and unlimited data. Had a look at a demo version of both galaxy s6's yesterday, and can get the non edge version with 7gb data (enough for me) and unlimited texts and minutes for less than I'm paying now. Will also get the free wireless charger, free case, and 2 years free Sky Sports Mobile TV. Really tempted...

If you've been offered that you should definitely take it as doubt that could be beaten elsewhere.

I pre-ordered the s6 non edge model from carphone warehouse on 02 upgrade.

£129.99 up front, £31 per month for unlimited texts, minutes and 3GB data and a free wireless charger. Would rather pay a bit upfront to keep my monthly bill down.

I already have a lot of wireless charging stuff for my nexus 4 and I find it quite handy, so was keen to go with another phone with wireless functionality.

Phone looks awesome too!

I'm such a wean, i'm choking for a new phone even though I only got my M8 a year ago....

Finding myself starting to struggle with mobile data. I only have a 2GB allowance, which is a pittance compared to todays standard. It used to be more than enough when I was using the works WiFi but since i've moved site i've not been able to :thumbsdown . I might weigh up the option to buy out my contract (only need to pay the outstanding phone balance rather than the whole monthly tarrif) and get a sim only and beef up my allowances. Depending on how it works out....hmmm

I'm such a wean, i'm choking for a new phone even though I only got my M8 a year ago....

Finding myself starting to struggle with mobile data. I only have a 2GB allowance, which is a pittance compared to todays standard. It used to be more than enough when I was using the works WiFi but since i've moved site i've not been able to :thumbsdown . I might weigh up the option to buy out my contract (only need to pay the outstanding phone balance rather than the whole monthly tarrif) and get a sim only and beef up my allowances. Depending on how it works out....hmmm

BT deal with discount for BT customers.

20GB unlimited texts and calls for £20 pm.