New handsets 2016

Mik

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i need a new handset mine is fucked. It is cheaper fo me to pay up my t mobile contract and start again as a new customer. Can i use a pac code to go to the same network and keep my number. Or would i have to change networks

i need a new handset mine is fucked. It is cheaper fo me to pay up my t mobile contract and start again as a new customer. Can i use a pac code to go to the same network and keep my number. Or would i have to change networks

You can't use a PAC while staying on the same network. Or in the case of T-mobile going to EE as well. To get round this you can use your PAC to move your number to a PAYG carrier then move it again to your new T-mobile contract.

Better phoning them and asking what your options are, difficult to give ore specific advice without knowing when your contract expires, the monthly cost and what new phone you want

I rang up last night and they wanted money to cancel the deal. Fair enough then £150 for a new phone and a contract £10 a month dearer than what I am on.

Asked for my pac code with the intention of settling up and starting a new deal when I get a chance to have a look around.

Low and behold they rang up today waived all the fees offered me a free phone of my choice and a contract with more minutes texts and data than I have now for a cheaper monthly bill than I am paying now.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the Samsung galaxy alpha. Which is essentially a better looking s5 with a slightly smaller screen.

So far really pleased. It's fast smooth and the perfect size phone for my hand. It feels better than the bigger s4 it's replaced and more user friendly in a strange way.

More importantly I've stopped dropping it every 5 mins which was an issue with its predecessor.

• 3 weeks later...

After having three incarnations of the iPhone I have now moved over to a Sony Z3 compact.

Brilliant and powerful phone without having to go up to some of the bulky handsets.

Got one just over a week ago as an upgrade from an HTC One M7. Haven't noticed it being markedly better in any particular department apart from the size (as you mention) and in battery life. They claim battery life lasts 2 days between charges and it's now living up to that claim but it did take a fair bit of faffing about with the power saving settings to get there.

I was a bit worried about the smaller screen compared to the HTC but it's not really that much smaller, it's the rest of the phone that's smaller, and I must admit that I'm finding the Z3 much more comfortable for everyday use, much easier to stick away in a pocket and the like.

HTC M9 conference today. Looks fairy similar to the M8 but packed with some very decent hardware upgrades. Snapdragon 810 (octocore) being one, 3gb Ram and an impressive camera on the rear. Looks class.

HTC M9 conference today. Looks fairy similar to the M8 but packed with some very decent hardware upgrades. Snapdragon 810 (octocore) being one, 3gb Ram and an impressive camera on the rear. Looks class.

I think it looks disappointing and hasn't improved enough. They should have brought one out with a larger internal memory.

Samsung 6 and Samsung 6 edge announced too.

I think it looks disappointing and hasn't improved enough. They should have brought one out with a larger internal memory.

Samsung 6 and Samsung 6 edge announced too.

I know what you mean there isn't much of a difference, not aesthetically anyway apart form moving the power button and volume rockers, but i'm happy with the design tbf. Memory isn't really a probably though because it's expandible.

Samsung hadn't been announced yet, but checked it out this morning. That curved screen looks a touch of class. I see they've ditched the cheap looking plastic covers and went for a metal frame with glass back (at the expense of losing its IP rating). I've never been a fan of Samsung dating back to when I had a Samsung Toco ( :lol: ). TouchWiz, at the time was f*cking horrific and i've had a shot of the Galaxy models and still can't really get on board with it. Surprised they havn't really upgraded their speakers as I think that is one of the thing HTC is crushing at the moment with their Boomsound. Also surprised they got rid of the MicroSD slot...

I know what you mean there isn't much of a difference, not aesthetically anyway apart form moving the power button and volume rockers, but i'm happy with the design tbf. Memory isn't really a probably though because it's expandible.

Samsung hadn't been announced yet, but checked it out this morning. That curved screen looks a touch of class. I see they've ditched the cheap looking plastic covers and went for a metal frame with glass back (at the expense of losing its IP rating). I've never been a fan of Samsung dating back to when I had a Samsung Toco ( :lol: ). TouchWiz, at the time was f*cking horrific and i've had a shot of the Galaxy models and still can't really get on board with it. Surprised they havn't really upgraded their speakers as I think that is one of the thing HTC is crushing at the moment with their Boomsound. Also surprised they got rid of the MicroSD slot...

I have M7 and find that a lot of content I have can only be installed on internal memory. Would liked to have seen a 64gb option. I really like it though due to the music quality on it.

I'm interested to see what new sony phones are like.

I dont actually get all the hate for plastic. They've now sacrificed removable batteries and an SD slot to have a glass back which, despite what they say about it, is obviously more likely to break. I have a note 4 and I certainly don't think it feels cheap because of its plastic back. If anything it's the metal edge being damaged easily which cheapens the phone.

Overall I think Samsung will struggle with this like they did the s5. Could it just be that range has run its course? Possibly. The edge is a neat touch but that's about it.

I actually think the industry has been about bit stagnant for a while now. Can mobile phones go any further really?

Edited by #Gary

I dont actually get all the hate for plastic. They've now sacrificed removable batteries and an SD slot to have a glass back which, despite what they say about it, is obviously more likely to break. I have a note 4 and I certainly don't think it feels cheap because of its plastic back. If anything it's the metal edge being damaged easily which cheapens the phone.

Overall I think Samsung will struggle with this like they did the s5. Could it just be that range has run its course? Possibly. The edge is a neat touch but that's about it.

I actually think the industry has been about bit stagnant for a while now. Can mobile phones go any further really?

Was thinking the same on both points. It kind of seems like Samsung have taken a step backwards, their edge over the competition was the removable battery/card slot/IP rating which has all been stripped. They've effectely made an iPhone.

Both Samsung and HTC have launched VR headsets, interesting to see where that goes. Gaming could become a lot more serious on the mobile platform. I don't really know where the manufacturers can really go from this point in terms of handset hardware, all the bells and whistles now come in app form and 'wearable tech' is growing considerably. Let's say......"lazers". We need lazers. :lol:

Samsung's move to remove the SD card slot is baffling as like Mik says, it was one of the things that gave it the edge over Apple. I'm due an upgrade in June and my last 2 phones have been the S2 and S4 and loved them both, so naturally I was really keen on the S6 but I'm definitely going for either the HTC One M8 or M9 now.

Edited by Cityfan