New handsets 2016

Mik

On 21/10/2020 at 23:43, UpInTheAyr said:

Anyone got the Pixel 4a and would you recommend it? Thought I might treat myself to this considering I've been rockin the same phone for six years now and the stock android is fairly appealing as well as the three years of updates.

I had a couple of the Nexus variants over the years and always found that the Google phones were great for cameras and getting updates and big fixes to you quickly. Always been a fan of stock Android as well. However battery life was always a bit iffy. From a look at the reviews of the Pixel 4A that pattern seems to be continuing.

Have you looked at the OnePlus Nord? Could be an alternative option for you and it's even cheaper than the Pixel 4A whilst rocking a lot of similar features.

On 28/10/2020 at 11:25, RiG said:

I had a couple of the Nexus variants over the years and always found that the Google phones were great for cameras and getting updates and big fixes to you quickly. Always been a fan of stock Android as well. However battery life was always a bit iffy. From a look at the reviews of the Pixel 4A that pattern seems to be continuing.

Have you looked at the OnePlus Nord? Could be an alternative option for you and it's even cheaper than the Pixel 4A whilst rocking a lot of similar features.

hmm, that OnePlus seems to be even more than the Pixel, but they all are 5g so maybe the line was just recently updated and they've removed the previous models

Edited by UpInTheAyr

On 21/10/2020 at 23:43, UpInTheAyr said:

Anyone got the Pixel 4a and would you recommend it? Thought I might treat myself to this considering I've been rockin the same phone for six years now and the stock android is fairly appealing as well as the three years of updates.

Sorry fella, late to reply here - but, judging by the tech guys on YouTube the consensus is that the Pixel 4A is amazing value for money, and you're getting a flagship quality camera on a budget price.

9 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

hmm, that OnePlus seems to be even more than the Pixel, but they all are 5g so maybe the line was just recently updated and they've removed the previous models

Ah I was looking at the Pixel 4A with 5G when I made that comment. "Standard" Pixel 4A is cheaper than the Nord.

If you buy them from the Google store you can pay it off monthly over 2 years at 0% APR which is handy. Also, if you hold off for another week or so and buy either a Pixel 4A (5G) or Pixel 5 you get a pair of Bose QC 35 IIs for free. These head phones are worth around £230 to £250 so if you are in the market for a new pair of headphones and can spare some extra cash to move up the Pixel line that offer might be appealing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gone back to Apple and ordered the iPhone 12 Pro Max.  Only 128 GB storage but that's plenty for this cat.  Been checking out quite a lot of comparison articles and videos with its Android rivals and it comes out on top in the majority.

On 13/01/2021 at 10:42, TheScarf said:

Gone back to Apple and ordered the iPhone 12 Pro Max.  Only 128 GB storage but that's plenty for this cat.  Been checking out quite a lot of comparison articles and videos with its Android rivals and it comes out on top in the majority.

He's here and he' perfect! ❤️

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Due an upgrade so have been looking at phones. Currently have a P30 Pro which I am happy with, although it's been dropped too many times and therefore is a bit cracked. Usually I will just drop to a 30 day rolling contract, but am considering going for a new phone. 

Well aware that this is an absolute yer da question, but so they still make phones with a 3.5mm jack? Bluetooth headphones just aren't the same. 

On 03/08/2021 at 22:41, Michael W said:

Well aware that this is an absolute yer da question, but so they still make phones with a 3.5mm jack? Bluetooth headphones just aren't the same. 

It's rare that high-end phones come with a headphone jack nowadays. Have you looked into getting a headphone jack to USB-C adaptor? Might be your best shout.

• 4 months later...

Got a Samsung A12 about 6 months ago which I've been pretty pleased with. There is an issue which crops up intermittently in that audible notifications for emails often arrive several minutes later, or sometimes not at all.  Have gone through all the usual youtube guides, suggestions, but the problem remains.

Anyone else suffer from this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2021 at 23:27, ICTJohnboy said:

Got a Samsung A12 about 6 months ago which I've been pretty pleased with. There is an issue which crops up intermittently in that audible notifications for emails often arrive several minutes later, or sometimes not at all.  Have gone through all the usual youtube guides, suggestions, but the problem remains.

Anyone else suffer from this?

I've been looking for a new phone and this is the first thing I saw that looked like it fit my needs. Is it any good?

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've been looking for a new phone and this is the first thing I saw that looked like it fit my needs. Is it any good?

I've been very happy with it - does everything I need from a phone. The 48mp camera is superb, and the display is excellent. I'm not much into games, but for some, I gather it's not all that great in that respect. Works well in the car for me when hooked up to the Ford Sync 3 display, for satnav, google maps. The issue I had with audible notifications for emails seemed to resolve itself - I gather it was down to a compatibility issue between Samsung and gmail.

Got a great battery in it, which for me can generally go for 3 days without charging. Really good value phone, which I can highly recommend.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've been very happy with it - does everything I need from a phone. The 48mp camera is superb, and the display is excellent. I'm not much into games, but for some, I gather it's not all that great in that respect. Works well in the car for me when hooked up to the Ford Sync 3 display, for satnav, google maps. The issue I had with audible notifications for emails seemed to resolve itself - I gather it was down to a compatibility issue between Samsung and gmail.

Got a great battery in it, which for me can generally go for 3 days without charging. Really good value phone, which I can highly recommend.

I will be needing it for even less intensive purposes than you, so that sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...