New handsets 2016

Mik

I'm going for a Samsung A51 or A71 the next time either drop in price. Have £75 of Amazon vouchers and given I can probably get the A71 for around £300 in the near future (probably under £250 for the A51 if that drops) it seems like really good value. Already have an excellent sim only deal which I won't be dropping and can't justify upwards of £600 on a handset. I spent plenty on the S7 edge I've had for nearly 4 years now and to be fair it's been really good. It's starting to die a wee bit now but either of the above look like great, reasonably priced replacements.

On 09/05/2020 at 20:38, TheScarf said:

Got the new SE on Tuesday. It runs fucking beautifully.  It’s actually smaller than I thought it would be. Will take some getting used to.

Ordered a wireless charger for it so that should be a good gimmick. Never had a wireless charging phone before.

How are you getting on with it now? I'm due an upgrade and I'm tempted by the SE. I had the previous version and it was great, then changed to the Galaxy S9 which I've hated for the past two years. Among the many issues I've had with it is the battery life but it seems the battery on the SE is atrocious. And there's no headphone socket, which is an issue as well.

No idea what else is out there at the moment so the SE would be the easy option.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

How are you getting on with it now? I'm due an upgrade and I'm tempted by the SE. I had the previous version and it was great, then changed to the Galaxy S9 which I've hated for the past two years. Among the many issues I've had with it is the battery life but it seems the battery on the SE is atrocious. And there's no headphone socket, which is an issue as well.

No idea what else is out there at the moment so the SE would be the easy option.

It’s been fine so far. It runs like a dream, even just with the 3GB of RAM, but with the powerful chip in it it’s so smooth.

Because of the latest Apple chip, you don’t notice the small battery as it does everything so efficiently. I can easily get a day out of it without charging. 

Wireless charging is a winner too. 

14 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It’s been fine so far. It runs like a dream, even just with the 3GB of RAM, but with the powerful chip in it it’s so smooth.

Because of the latest Apple chip, you don’t notice the small battery as it does everything so efficiently. I can easily get a day out of it without charging. 

Wireless charging is a winner too. 

Cheers. Might gamble on it then. Most of the time when I'm inside I have my phone plugged into my laptop and when I'm out I only turn data on if I need to use it, so hopefully that'll help the battery. Just a bit worried given my S9 battery isn't great and it's flagged up as an issue with every SE review I've read. 

Only major issue now is it looks like I'll have to port my number onto a month long sim only contract then return to a new deal on Vodafone - they have the best reception round here but doubt I'll be able to haggle the same deal from retentions I can get as a new customer from some of the online places.

• 2 weeks later...

New SE is brilliant. Only thing I'd ever want to change about it is returning to the original SE case, but alas that will never happen. It runs brilliantly and the battery is very good for an iPhone. 

• 1 month later...
I got the P30 Pro as an upgrade in late Feb. 
Very impressed with it so far and for £32 per month with a smartwatch as well it's the first time I've felt I'm getting value for my money. 
Just ordered this, how is it?;it's similar size to my current handset and a previous one so that ain't going to be an issue for me.
Just not happy losing Android one for their own interface.

1 hour ago, weirdcal said:

Just ordered this, how is it?;it's similar size to my current handset and a previous one so that ain't going to be an issue for me.
Just not happy losing Android one for their own interface.

Spot on, so far. The Huawei skin looks pretty good, especially the dark one. 

Battery life is immense, too.

Spot on, so far. The Huawei skin looks pretty good, especially the dark one. 
Battery life is immense, too.
That's good to hear, I have same size battery in current handset but wasn't sure about settings on the phone making not last long.
Looking forward to wirelessly charging again. Missed that from current phone.
Got airpods so the missing jack won't be an issue either

1 minute ago, weirdcal said:

That's good to hear, I have same size battery in current handset but wasn't sure about settings on the phone making not last long.
Looking forward to wirelessly charging again. Missed that from current phone.
Got airpods so the missing jack won't be an issue either

If the buds need charging there's a wired set of headphones in the box as well, plugs in to the charging slot.

Would recommend switching from the traditional android navigation to Huawei's gesture version, much easier especially when the screen is as big as it is.

If the buds need charging there's a wired set of headphones in the box as well, plugs in to the charging slot.
Would recommend switching from the traditional android navigation to Huawei's gesture version, much easier especially when the screen is as big as it is.
Had to switch back to android navigation, bloody curved screen and holding it made gestures a bit odd (might try again when new case arrives) .
The icon size is ridiculously large. I had an android one phone before so its definitely their own settings on that.
Fairly nice phone. Camera is insane, super charging is mad too.
Did also manage to move the pnb app from old phone to this one and get it running (small mercies).
Fairly impressed

Can't say I've noticed the large icon size. This is what my menu looks like - please feel free to judge by my apps.

Screenshot_20200719_114853_com.huawei.android.launcher.thumb.jpg.971982cb37a3833e514c7b553ca6d9c3.jpg
First one is screenshot of smallest, pic is old phone and layout (won't judge your apps if you don't judge mine) Screenshot_20200719_125117_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpegImage.jpeg

On 18/05/2020 at 21:55, GiGi said:

I'm going for a Samsung A51 or A71 the next time either drop in price. Have £75 of Amazon vouchers and given I can probably get the A71 for around £300 in the near future (probably under £250 for the A51 if that drops) it seems like really good value. Already have an excellent sim only deal which I won't be dropping and can't justify upwards of £600 on a handset. I spent plenty on the S7 edge I've had for nearly 4 years now and to be fair it's been really good. It's starting to die a wee bit now but either of the above look like great, reasonably priced replacements.

Prices haven't dropped on either so I'm now looking at the Oneplus Nord which is just a bit better in most regards and similar in the rest. Main thing I was after was a great amoled screen which the Samsungs do have but the Oneplus has 90hz refresh rate which is a big plus for me. £349 on Amazon for prime members.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the Huawei p40, although at my age and usage I'm probably best just going for the p30. (I have the Mate 20 Pro currently, best phone I've had). 

Does anyone have either of the other 2 and is the 40 really worth the extra £15ish per month considering 5g is basically non existent up here and you're not getting Google play (is that the same on the 30?)

Went for the p40, got it on a 36 month deal. Hopefully it performs as well as my current does as I could easily have seen this lasting another 12months but the offers there so I upgraded. I've already flogged this for £160 so not all bad. 
Hadn't seen this, I went p30 pro due to lack of Google apps. The huawei app store covers most of what you need, if you haven't wiped old phone yet, the app send anywhere will allow you to send apps from old phone to new phone. That's how I got the p and b app transferred over and am still able to use it.
The power of the camera and battery life on these things are something else.

It's going back. Underestimated just how many apps I use from Google play. It could be worked around but it'd be a pain in the arse constantly having to go through browser etc. Got a free audible sub with the phone too, can't get audible. [emoji38]
If you can trade for the p30 it's worth it. Cracking phone. Get a cover though I have already cracked the glass on the back, first phone I have had that I have managed that since I shattered the lens of my Samsung s6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 20:33, Mr. Alli said:

Going to try again - Oppo Reno4 Pro ordered. Hopefully better luck this time. 

Going to be keeping this. It's perfect for what I need - decent camera, battery life good (even if it wasn't, full charge in under 40 minutes) and that's basically all I use it for - calls and internet aside.

The reviews seems to be it falls down with gaming but that's not something I'll ever need it for.