New handsets 2016

Mik

23 hours ago, yoda said:

Like BigFatTabbyDave I too am looking to replace my iPhone 5S whilst also being a complete n00b when it comes to phones.

I'm a MacBook w****r but I'm not overly fussed about staying with Apple - the iPhone layout is just a bit... uninspiring really. The main appeal of the iPhone was their much vaunted "security" as well as being easier to hook up with my laptop. But the never phones are a little bit steep for my budget, and the lack of a headphone jack is something that pushes me away from them.

My brother has a Pixel 3A and it looks very nice. However, a lot of folk are pushing me towards Samsung.

Help a brother out.

Depends what you want really and what your budget is

On 24/09/2019 at 23:45, yoda said:

Like BigFatTabbyDave I too am looking to replace my iPhone 5S whilst also being a complete n00b when it comes to phones.

I'm a MacBook w****r but I'm not overly fussed about staying with Apple - the iPhone layout is just a bit... uninspiring really. The main appeal of the iPhone was their much vaunted "security" as well as being easier to hook up with my laptop. But the never phones are a little bit steep for my budget, and the lack of a headphone jack is something that pushes me away from them.

My brother has a Pixel 3A and it looks very nice. However, a lot of folk are pushing me towards Samsung.

Help a brother out.

I'd keep your iPhone 5s unless the screen is cracked or the battery is fucked. 

The whole market is uninspiring and the software development still has a long way to go before its fully utilising the functionality of these phones. 

On 25/09/2019 at 23:16, Mr X said:

Depends what you want really and what your budget is

I'm not entirely sure what I want but affordability is the main thing.

I can't justify the immediate upfront cost of buying a handset itself, so I'm going to take out a contract (plus I'm due an "upgrade", not that it means anything really). The £10 p/m difference between the Pixel 3A and the Samsung phones is pushing me towards the 3A (plus headphone jack!). 

I did consider a sim only, and buying a handset alone, but the figures weren't really saving me much in the long-run; or not enough to justify the immediate upfront cost.

tl;dr - I'm probably going to get the Pixel 3A but is there any glaringly obvious reason I shouldn't pick it up.

6 hours ago, yoda said:

I'm not entirely sure what I want but affordability is the main thing.

I can't justify the immediate upfront cost of buying a handset itself, so I'm going to take out a contract (plus I'm due an "upgrade", not that it means anything really). The £10 p/m difference between the Pixel 3A and the Samsung phones is pushing me towards the 3A (plus headphone jack!). 

I did consider a sim only, and buying a handset alone, but the figures weren't really saving me much in the long-run; or not enough to justify the immediate upfront cost.

tl;dr - I'm probably going to get the Pixel 3A but is there any glaringly obvious reason I shouldn't pick it up.

Did you look at buying a chinese phone up front and going SIM only? 

Had the Galaxy S10+ for a couple of weeks now; very happy with it. Mainly pleased that I don't have to wrassle to get simple things done. Was quite surprised at how difficult the iPhone could be considering Apple fans talk about how their products are superior because they "just work" and are so simple to use.

No problems so far; takes a lovely picture and the screen looks great for videos and shit. Also helps that I've switched away from iD Mobile, whose coverage in the Forth Valley is laughable. Couldn't even get a signal in the house.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a tip if you have a loose charger connection. Mine kept on starting to charge then stopping and I thought I would need to replace the socket in the phone. Gave it a quick blow and a clump of dust came out, working perfectly now. You might need to poke about with a pin.

• 2 months later...

2nd generation iPhone SE just announced.  Its got a lot of the iPhone 11 tech in an iPhone 8 body,  including the A13 chip.  V, v, v, v, v, v, v, v, v, v tempting.  Had a budget Android phone for the last couple of years, I never get flagships.  This looks great for the price. (£400).

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Fucking ordered it eh. 

First Apple I've been tempted by, about the same size as my Sony Compact which is perfect imo. Hate these midget tablets most phones are these days.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

First Apple I've been tempted by, about the same size as my Sony Compact which is perfect imo. Hate these midget tablets most phones are these days.

In the last 5 years or so I've been sceptical about the price to spec ratio of iPhones but this is too good to ignore imo. 

Just a tip if you have a loose charger connection. Mine kept on starting to charge then stopping and I thought I would need to replace the socket in the phone. Gave it a quick blow and a clump of dust came out, working perfectly now. You might need to poke about with a pin.
Oohhhh matron.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:48, TheScarf said:

2nd generation iPhone SE just announced.  Its got a lot of the iPhone 11 tech in an iPhone 8 body,  including the A13 chip.  V, v, v, v, v, v, v, v, v, v tempting.  Had a budget Android phone for the last couple of years, I never get flagships.  This looks great for the price. (£400).

Quite fancy one.  Have an iPhone 7 and this is basically the same phone with an upgraded processor, display and camera for a decent price.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Back to Samsung for me. Upgrading to the s20 5G. Huawei p30 has been decent.

I got the P30 Pro as an upgrade in late Feb. 

Very impressed with it so far and for £32 per month with a smartwatch as well it's the first time I've felt I'm getting value for my money. 

Got the new SE on Tuesday. It runs fucking beautifully.  It’s actually smaller than I thought it would be. Will take some getting used to.

Ordered a wireless charger for it so that should be a good gimmick. Never had a wireless charging phone before.

On 09/05/2020 at 20:38, TheScarf said:

Got the new SE on Tuesday. It runs fucking beautifully.  It’s actually smaller than I thought it would be. Will take some getting used to.

Ordered a wireless charger for it so that should be a good gimmick. Never had a wireless charging phone before.

I’m definitely getting one.  Did you go for 64 GB or 128 GB

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m definitely getting one.  Did you go for 64 GB or 128 GB

Just the 64. My last phone had that and didn’t even use half the storage even with all the apps I had.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Just the 64. My last phone had that and didn’t even use half the storage even with all the apps I had.

Yeah I’ve got 128 on my iPhone seven but use well under half.

Maybe by the time I have to replace this one for a 5g model there will be a case for going back up to 128 GB.

Got my Samsung s20 5G delivered. (Was out of stock for ages)

Impressive so far. The 120Hz screen refresh rate gives the menus (as Alan Partridge would say) a nice action.

Camera is fantastic.

Battery is amazing considering I've had everything set to high & been using it all day.

Played a couple of games of COD & looked/ran great. (Did overheat a wee bit)

Nice feel in the hand with the rounded edges.

Very pleased with the upgrade.