New handsets 2016

Mik

My LG G2 is starting to show signs of heading to silicon heaven, so I've been contemplating picking up a G4 for around £250. Would I be better spending the extra cash and plumping for a OnePlus 3?

I have the G4. Good phone all in all, removable battery a big plus for me, but it has one flaw that drives me insane. The phone rocks when sitting on a flat surface.. Sounds like its not a big deal but does my absolute head in.

I have the Z5. It does get quite hot from time to time but nothing really to worry about. It's an excellent phone. The only drawback I'd say is the battery life which has been commended elsewhere

Hmm. I'm a bit torn between this and the oneplus 3 now. The 3 looks immense but I use a phone camera quite a lot and the camera on the Z5 looks great---with the hardware camera button being a serious plus.

I've got an expensive month coming up so I'll see what the prices are like in a month or so.

• 1 month later...
On 22/06/2016 at 15:38, KnightswoodBear said:

My LG G2 is starting to show signs of heading to silicon heaven, so I've been contemplating picking up a G4 for around £250.  Would I be better spending the extra cash and plumping for a OnePlus 3?

I ended up going for the OnePlus3.  Glad I did, it's a fantastic phone for the money.  And they appear to have accidentally sent me the dash charger rather than the bog standard one without me having to pay the extra £20.  Result.

I'm not really into my expensive mobile phones, I bought a new iPhone 4 when they first came out in 2010 and worried about it too much. It packed in about a year ago and decided to buy a cheap phone to replace it. I only really use it for Calling, WhatsApp, Emails, web browsing and listening to music on occasion. Got a Vodafone Smart Prime 6 based on strength of reviews and it was very impressive. Android's poor use of external storage being it's main drawback. I tried using a GPS golf rangefinder app but the GPS accuracy was dreadful.

I dropped it on holiday and stayed on the cheapo road, got a Nokia Lumia 540 for 40 bucks and have been very happy with it to this point. Some of the missing apps are a bit of a pain, but bearable for someone like me. The email client is fantastic, GPS accuracy is great and although it only has 8GB of internal storage it handles the SD card way better than my old Android phone. It also has an excellent WiFi antenna meaning I can watch a bit of filth before I get out my scratcher.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Been reading about the new Note 7, Its been recalled in the US and China because batteries have been exploding when the phone is charged. When i charge my S7 it gets pretty warm, wont lie rather concerned after reading this. Considering phoning my provider to discuss changing phones. 

Every phone Ive ever had gets warm when its charging. I wouldnt worry about it. Given how high profile the Note 7 stuff was theres no way Samsung would leave other handsets out there if there was a chance they had the same problem.

I was going to go for a Note 7 next. Not sure if the battery issue has put me off but the wait time certainly has

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Every phone Ive ever had gets warm when its charging. I wouldnt worry about it. Given how high profile the Note 7 stuff was theres no way Samsung would leave other handsets out there if there was a chance they had the same problem.

I was going to go for a Note 7 next. Not sure if the battery issue has put me off but the wait time certainly has

Never noticed it with any prior handsets ive had, but your probably right.

I wouldnt touch the Note 7 after those reports. Not on the same number as the Note 7 but there's also been a few reports of Iphone 7's exploding as well. 

I've never been into this part of the forum before - how exciting.

Anyhow, on any plan I've ever had with any company on any handset I've consistently averaged between 2-3GB data usage per month. However this month after 10 days I had somehow managed to eat up my full 6GB allowance and have since had 3 text messages every 2 or 3 days telling me they're automatically adding on another 1GB for $10 as I've used the last add-on already. According to my settings the vast majority of my data is getting used up by Google Chrome. I only have about 4 browsers running that I regularly use and I have come to the conclusion that it is this site with the permanently running video ads at the top of the page as I can see no other reason for using up all that data.

Can anyone confirm if this is a possibility? 

Thank you.

I've never been into this part of the forum before - how exciting.

Anyhow, on any plan I've ever had with any company on any handset I've consistently averaged between 2-3GB data usage per month. However this month after 10 days I had somehow managed to eat up my full 6GB allowance and have since had 3 text messages every 2 or 3 days telling me they're automatically adding on another 1GB for $10 as I've used the last add-on already. According to my settings the vast majority of my data is getting used up by Google Chrome. I only have about 4 browsers running that I regularly use and I have come to the conclusion that it is this site with the permanently running video ads at the top of the page as I can see no other reason for using up all that data.

Can anyone confirm if this is a possibility? 

Thank you.

Sounds unlikely to be honest, unless you're spending a lot of time on here.

I think the mobile app is still ad free, so try that for a while and see if you're usage goes down.

On Firefox mobile if you use private browsing it blocks a lot of ads, might also be worth seeing if chrome does the same.

Google have announced their new Pixel phones today.  The basic model will set you back £599.  If you go for the XL version with 128GB of memory that'll set you back £819 :blink: 

https://store.google.com/config/pixel_phone?utm_source=madeByGoogle&utm_medium=MS&utm_campaign=pixel_phone_Config_BN

Bit of a surprise that, I thought that these would be to replace the Nexus 5X and 6P, not as a high end iPhone-killer.

5 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Bit of a surprise that, I thought that these would be to replace the Nexus 5X and 6P, not as a high end iPhone-killer.

It had been rumoured for a while that the Nexus brand was coming to an end and something different was coming to replace it.  My last 3 phones have been a Nexus 4, 5 and currently a 5X.  I've liked the Nexus phones as they are pretty good phones, reasonably priced and you get regular updates without the bloatware you get from other handset manufacturers.  

I'll need to wait and see what my next phone will be.  I tend to stay a generation behind and only got my 5X a few months ago so I won't be upgrading for a while.  Maybe by the time I come to upgrade the Pixel will be cheaper or something else will have slotted into the Nexus niche.      

Meh. The Google Pixel doesn't look that exciting to be honest. There's nothing really new to it that isn't already available in most new smartphones, Samsung 7/HTC 10 etc. Higher RAM, better processor, fingerprint scanner - it's the expected upgrades for a high-end handset. The new thing is really the Google Assistant which I wouldn't mind having a play about with, but like most software of this kind, v1 usually has its problems/bugs. No MicroSD expansion is a big negative for me, although I don't think the nexus had this either? The battery is 2770mAh -  not brilliant, especially with the upgrade of processing power that the phone will need running Google assistant and Android Nougat.

33 minutes ago, Mik said:

Meh. The Google Pixel doesn't look that exciting to be honest. There's nothing really new to it that isn't already available in most new smartphones, Samsung 7/HTC 10 etc. Higher RAM, better processor, fingerprint scanner - it's the expected upgrades for a high-end handset. The new thing is really the Google Assistant which I wouldn't mind having a play about with, but like most software of this kind, v1 usually has its problems/bugs. No MicroSD expansion is a big negative for me, although I don't think the nexus had this either? The battery is 2770mAh -  not brilliant, especially with the upgrade of processing power that the phone will need running Google assistant and Android Nougat.

Google assistant is available, as a preview, in the Allo chat app.

On 06/10/2016 at 07:57, Mik said:

You're right, the Nexus phones never had a MicroSD card slot.  I personally never found that to be a problem.  Guess we'll see about the battery.  Upgrading processing power doesn't necessarily mean a direct negative impact on the battery.  You often hear when they announce a new phone that the processor is X times more powerful but X% more power efficient then the previous processor they were using.

Edited by NorthernLights