New handsets 2016

Mik

I've just bought a oneplus one, managed to grab an invite from another forum. Finally time to retire my old galaxy note. I was going to wait for the Note 4, but it'll be double the price for not much gain in specs really.

Interesting to see what you make of it. I was unsure, but wouldn't go back to the nexus now.

S3 user too...although due an upgrade now and will likely go for S5. What do you lose when you do a factory reset?

My data is always on and wifi only on at home and battery always last more than a day.

You lose everything that is stored on phone if you do a factory reset. It is important to back up your content before doing one.

just upgraded from the s3 to the s5, so far it certainly looks and feels like you'd expect from a 2 generation upgrade, its very smooth going through the menus and apps, will take a bit of getting used o with the buttons doing different things from the s3

now need to have a look at rooting it, was comfortable doing it to my s3 as it was the equivalent of rocky in rocky 5 (still going but clearly fubar) but im not sure i wanna f**k about with this just now

just upgraded from the s3 to the s5, so far it certainly looks and feels like you'd expect from a 2 generation upgrade, its very smooth going through the menus and apps, will take a bit of getting used o with the buttons doing different things from the s3

now need to have a look at rooting it, was comfortable doing it to my s3 as it was the equivalent of rocky in rocky 5 (still going but clearly fubar) but im not sure i wanna f**k about with this just now

And what would be the advantage of rooting?

And what would be the advantage of rooting?

im not that techy minded, other people flash custom roms etc, i rooted my old phone to change the android ID (needed to for an app) and also it means i can download apps not from the app store that may require a rooted device

but there wasnt too much of a concern with my s3 as it was about 2 drops away from kicking the bucket, kinda dont wanna f**k about with my s5 that i now have for 2 years

S3 user too...although due an upgrade now and will likely go for S5. What do you lose when you do a factory reset?

My data is always on and wifi only on at home and battery always last more than a day.

The S5 Is too big for your pocket, im due an upgrade as well but ill just keep the S3 and sell the new one.

A factory reset wipes everything..so just save anything first to the memory card.

The S5 Is too big for your pocket, im due an upgrade as well but ill just keep the S3 and sell the new one. A factory reset wipes everything..so just save anything first to the memory card.

Each to their own and all that but, what's the point in that? you're still paying for the brand new phone through your contract, so anything you sell it on for will still be costing you money per month in a direct debit for the next 2 years, meanwhile your S3 will become obsolete. Android seem to be going down the route of Apple where if you don't have the latest software then a lot of apps just stop working, I suppose you could flash new ROMs on to the S3, but the ROMs will surely take up a greater capacity than its predecessor and could slow your phone down significantly.

That said, if you're happy with the S3 then go for SIM only and get a cheap as hell tariff!

Interesting to see what you make of it. I was unsure, but wouldn't go back to the nexus now.

Phone arrived yesterday. Coming from an original galaxy note, it actually feels really light and much easier to hold, even with the 5.5" screen. I was expecting something huge from the reviews. Really like the back cover material, nice and grippy. Battery life is amazing, I don't know how it's doing it but it seems to be lasting for ages. Glad I took the gamble anyway, comparing it to some of the other flagships it's difficult to see what else you are getting over the one except a huge pricetag.

on another point, my S5 was last charged to 100% tuesday evening, i took it off charge when i went to my kip that night

now at thursday afternoon and it has 43% left in it, granted ive only used it for calls, texts, listening to music on way to and from work and the occasional web browsing on my break in work, waiting on the bus etc, but i still thought that was pretty good going

Is anyone here on 3? If so you may be able to answer my question.

Basically my contract is up on 3rd November but I can upgrade on the 3rd October (tomorrow). On the website it says I can upgrade for free online - but i will be charged for the early upgrade if I go I shop. Surely this won't be the case if it's within the 30 days quota.. Anyone any idea if I can upgrade in shop for free or not with 3? If not I'll go online no sweat.

Good thread but it seems opinions are divided. Some people like certain models, others don't. I just want one that is reliable and works for a few years. I will try to distill the above info and make a decision. (OnePlus One sounds good but I really want a cheap 2nd hand phone). Problem is trusting the seller, been disappointed before. I'd have to actually use it before buying. My current phone is the HTC One which I was given because the wifi signal was weak. It has now gone completely (as detailed in another thread) that's why I want an old, trusty model. The quest continues. I'll follow this thread.

Good thread but it seems opinions are divided. Some people like certain models, others don't. I just want one that is reliable and works for a few years. I will try to distill the above info and make a decision. (OnePlus One sounds good but I really want a cheap 2nd hand phone). Problem is trusting the seller, been disappointed before. I'd have to actually use it before buying. My current phone is the HTC One which I was given because the wifi signal was weak. It has now gone completely (as detailed in another thread) that's why I want an old, trusty model. The quest continues. I'll follow this thread.

A Nokia 3210? haha in all seriousness though, new smartphones are never really built to last..that said my old HTC One X that i gave to my nephew is still on the go. If you're looking for something on the cheap side then by all means yeah go for the last flagship before the current range; Samsung S4, Sony Xperia Z1 and as much as i dislike Iphones, you should be able to pick up an Iphone 4 or 5 for relatively cheap since the 6 was launched. One comment i have to make is the HTC One M8 although is the latest "flagship" model, the build quality on the device is (IMO) second to none.

Have you looked into fixing the Wifi problem with the One? Probably wouldn't cost all that much to have it repaired

A Nokia 3210? haha in all seriousness though, new smartphones are never really built to last..that said my old HTC One X that i gave to my nephew is still on the go. If you're looking for something on the cheap side then by all means yeah go for the last flagship before the current range; Samsung S4, Sony Xperia Z1 and as much as i dislike Iphones, you should be able to pick up an Iphone 4 or 5 for relatively cheap since the 6 was launched. One comment i have to make is the HTC One M8 although is the latest "flagship" model, the build quality on the device is (IMO) second to none.

Have you looked into fixing the Wifi problem with the One? Probably wouldn't cost all that much to have it repaired

Never occurred to me to have it repaired. :1eye Looked on the net and tried the DIY cures. Opened it twice then cracked the glass on the third time. Need a dickhead smiley here.

Might find out cost of screen plus wifi repair, if there IS a wifi repair.

Edited by cyderspaceman

Old phones tend to be dodgy- I pass my old ones down the family. The HTC Desire has finally given up the ghost, the Xperia Arc isn't far behind (it has a bizarre fault that when you go to Braehead it switches off and the battery starts to overheat!).

I'd prefer, in general, to buy a lower end new phone rather than a used high end smartphone at the same price.

Each to their own and all that but, what's the point in that? you're still paying for the brand new phone through your contract, so anything you sell it on for will still be costing you money per month in a direct debit for the next 2 years, meanwhile your S3 will become obsolete. Android seem to be going down the route of Apple where if you don't have the latest software then a lot of apps just stop working, I suppose you could flash new ROMs on to the S3, but the ROMs will surely take up a greater capacity than its predecessor and could slow your phone down significantly.

That said, if you're happy with the S3 then go for SIM only and get a cheap as hell tariff!

Sim only deals or payg are guff for me , if you want a decent data and text you're looking at probably £25-30 a month anyway, so getting an upgrade on the same deal as I am just now makes sense .

Sim only deals or payg are guff for me , if you want a decent data and text you're looking at probably £25-30 a month anyway, so getting an upgrade on the same deal as I am just now makes sense .

A quick google returned Sim Only w/ Tesco Mobile

12 Months:

£12.50 - 1000min/5000tex/1GB

£15 - 2000min/5000tex/2GB

1 Month Rolling:

£12.50 - 750min/5000tex/1GB

£15 - 1000min/5000tex/1GB

A quick google returned Sim Only w/ Tesco Mobile

12 Months:

£12.50 - 1000min/5000tex/1GB

£15 - 2000min/5000tex/2GB

1 Month Rolling:

£12.50 - 750min/5000tex/1GB

£15 - 1000min/5000tex/1GB

It's the data for me,, I'm with three and have unlimited data ,1 or 2 gig is no use.,,,and that's how they get you,,,it's the extra data and picture messaging,,,,a million minutes and a million text are irrelivant ,,a few hundred of each does most people. Edited by THE KING