New handsets 2016

Mik

Thought to make a thread where people can post all the latest handsets that have arrived/due to arrive in 2014. A lot of threads tend to appear when people need an upgrade and possibly this thread could go a long way to see at a glance what's new on the market.

I will start with HTCs new release the HTC One M8. Suceeder to HTCs flagship HTC One.

specs at a glance:

Screen size: 5" LCD

Procesing power: Snapdragon 801 quadcore 2.3GHz (2GB RAM)

Software: Android 4.4 KitKat/HTC Sense 6.0

Back Camera: Ultrapixel (eq. 4MP) with two sesnors to capture light and depth.

Front Camera: 5MP

Capcity: 16/32GB w/ MicroSD 128GB expansion available.

4G capable

Twin front facing speakers (HTC Boomsound)

er_photo_218299_52.jpg

The only thing that irks me a bit surrounding the M8 is the back facing camera and continuing with the ultrapixel that was on the One. Although the depth sensor and the ability to change the point of focus after the picture is taken, it strikes me as slightly gimmicky. That said, it's meant to work great in reduced light.

What i do like is the capacity expansion slot (which wasn't a feature in my current handset the HTC One X) and also the front face camera has been beefed up to 5MP. The latest Snapdragon is an added bonus and should ensure the handset is like lightning. I've always liked the build of the HTCs and the Sense/Android UI so I will be plumping for this one

Edited by Mik

Samsung Galaxy S5

specs at a glance:

Screen size: 5.1" AMOLED (Dust + Water resistant)

Procesing power: Quadcore 2.5GHz (2GB RAM)

Software: Android 4.4 KitKat/ Samsung TouchWiz

Back Camera: 16MP

Front Camera: 2MP

4K Video

Capcity: 16/32GB w/ MicroSD 128GB expansion available.

4G capable

In-built fingerprint scanner + heart rate sensor

galaxys5charcoalBLACk02-580-100.jpg

Some of the features of this are mighty, mighty impressive! Seems Samsung have absolutely packed the device to the brim, how much of it is gimmick is up to you I suppose. Personally, the novelty of the fingerprint scanner and heart rate sensor will wear off...and I'm not overly impressed by the build in comparison to HTCs all metal chasis, however the perforated-style back plate is quite nice and comes in a variety of colours. The Ultra HD 4K video mode is rather impressive though, as is the back 16MP camera and has the power and processor to back it up. I might need to rethink my options

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sony Xperia Z2 - Release date: End of April

specs at a glance:

Screen size: 5.2" IPS LCD (Dust + Water resistant)

Procesing power: Snapdragon 801 Quadcore 2.3GHz (3GB RAM)

Software: Android 4.4 KitKat

Back Camera: 20.7MP

Front Camera: 2.2MP

4K Video

Capcity: 16GB w/ MicroSD 128GB expansion available.

4G capable

xperia-z2-hero-white-1240x840-f32a46b85e

An update to the Xperia not too long after the release of the Xperia Z1 will see a few Sony fans quite miffed. The first thing that jumps out at you though is the 20.7MP back camera which seems to blow the competiton out of the water in this aspect of the design and that they've managed to pack in a 3200mAh battery to boot whereas it's competitors the Galaxy S5 (2800 mAh) & HTC M8 (2600mAh). Although, it is non-removable akin to the HTC. I like the overall design of the Sony and it looks like a solid purchase. Sony have been banging on aobut a feature that will adjust noise reduction to suit your environment which again sounds really impressive as I tend to listen to a lot of music in the office and on public transport. However, they say it only works with Sony earphones.

Edited by Mik

Excellent idea for a thread Mik :thumsup2

The One M8 looks absolutely stunning, and the expandable storage is a great addition (although why it wasn't there before is a mystery )but the camera is a disappointment.

Liking the look of the LG G Pro2 as well, althought it's bit on the big side at 5.9". Are we doing phablets here to?

Excellent idea for a thread Mik :thumsup2

The One M8 looks absolutely stunning, and the expandable storage is a great addition (although why it wasn't there before is a mystery )but the camera is a disappointment.

Liking the look of the LG G Pro2 as well, althought it's bit on the big side at 5.9". Are we doing phablets here to?

Yeah the camera on the M8 is the only thing that's putting me off slightly.

Aye Thablets are on the up, I think the new Galaxy Note 4 out this year too? Possibly Q3. It's meant to have a 4K display!

My contract isn't up until January and have been an iPhone user since June 2009. The M8 is beginning to temp me however. Looks slick. Perhaps HTC will will have an even better model out by then?

My contract is up in about 3 weeks.

I'm torn between the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2.

Discounted the HTC One M8 due to the camera, and having had a Windows phone for 2 years, it can f**k right off.

I've had a look on T-Mob's website and both look good. Decisions are a c**t.

The thing that attracts my attention about the M8 is the dot view case that works with it: double-tap the front and it'll tell you the time (and other notifications) without having to open it up and use the phone.

htc-dotview-case-app.png

Edited by bunglebonce

Waiting to see what goes down with Windows Phone 8.1 before making any decisions

Definitely not Apple though because they are so naff

Contract is up in November

The thing that attracts my attention about the M8 is the dot view case that works with it: double-tap the front and it'll tell you the time (and other notifications) without having to open it up and use the phone.

I also love the dot case, I don't think it's available yet though, but will be purchasing one when it is (£35 though). I've ordered my M8 so just patiently waiting on it arriving now. 750min; ultd text; 1GB data - £32p/m + free HTC Fetch, thats pretty good value I thought for a brand spanking new phone. Can't imagine you'll get an S5 for around the same price.

I also love the dot case, I don't think it's available yet though, but will be purchasing one when it is (£35 though). I've ordered my M8 so just patiently waiting on it arriving now. 750min; ultd text; 1GB data - £32p/m + free HTC Fetch, thats pretty good value I thought for a brand spanking new phone. Can't imagine you'll get an S5 for around the same price.

That seems a good deal, where from?

My contract is up in five weeks and I'm between the M8 and an iPhone 5s, with the latter's form factor swaying it for me.

That seems a good deal, where from?

My contract is up in five weeks and I'm between the M8 and an iPhone 5s, with the latter's form factor swaying it for me.

Tesco Mobile (who piggyback the o2 network so coverage isn't an issue).

Waiting to see what goes down with Windows Phone 8.1 before making any decisions

Definitely not Apple though because they are so naff

Contract is up in November

im on the 1520 now and its fantastic on windows phone 8.0, hoping 8.1's functions are as good as cracked up to be

Tesco Mobile (who piggyback the o2 network so coverage isn't an issue).

Gotcha. I work in Dingwall where o2 and Tesco (who my other half is with) don't have 3G reception north of Inverness, so I'll be looking at 3, or the EE subsidiaries I think.

• 2 weeks later...

im on the 1520 now and its fantastic on windows phone 8.0, hoping 8.1's functions are as good as cracked up to be

Trying 8.1 on my htc 8x today and it is excellent, only problem I have had is network connection but that is probably a problem because its BETA.

1016949_10203273233543650_12349565516038

Edited by itzdrk

Trying 8.1 on my htc 8x today and it is excellent, only problem I have had is network connection but that is probably a problem because its BETA.

1016949_10203273233543650_12349565516038

was tempted to do the beta.

if you want cortana to work change your region settings to America and restart

eta: instructions http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-you-get-cortana-windows-phone-81-outside-united-states

Edited by weirdcal