New handsets 2016

Mik

Samsung have £100 off the Note 9 just now. I got mine delivered yesterday through the upgrade program (£80 up front plus £29 a month for two years with a option to upgrade after 1). I really like it, so smooth to use, really responsive with great screen and camera
Is it a phone or tablet?

15 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
3 hours ago, Mr X said:
Samsung have £100 off the Note 9 just now. I got mine delivered yesterday through the upgrade program (£80 up front plus £29 a month for two years with a option to upgrade after 1). I really like it, so smooth to use, really responsive with great screen and camera

Is it a phone or tablet?

Its a phablet ;) 

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Think I'm going for the mate Pro 20, the reviews seem fantastic, excited to see what the camera is all about. 

I go the Pro 10 and it's brilliant. Would love the 20 but will just need to wait a bit longer til my contract is up.  Let us know if it's any good

• 5 weeks later...

Got the Mate 10 Pro in November (ish) as it was halved in price with the Mate (or P) 20 arriving. It's been excellent for me and the battery was great to begin with as I was easily get over a day if not two days despite absolutely battering it.

However it recently got upgraded to Android P and since then the battery life has plummeted and I'm back to charging a phone around once a day. Anyone else seen a drop in battery life with the P update?

On 1/16/2019 at 20:46, RiG said:

Got the Mate 10 Pro in November (ish) as it was halved in price with the Mate (or P) 20 arriving. It's been excellent for me and the battery was great to begin with as I was easily get over a day if not two days despite absolutely battering it.

However it recently got upgraded to Android P and since then the battery life has plummeted and I'm back to charging a phone around once a day. Anyone else seen a drop in battery life with the P update?

I'd say my battery usage is about the same as it always has been.  Certainly haven't noticed a big difference after the most recent update battery wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a decent upgrade deal on an iphone XR on three. At last have been able to bin my other phone as it's dual sim(esim) and got an EE contract for my other number. Pretty impressed withhow it handles the dual sim but as far as the features I've not noticed  a huge difference from my iphone 6s other than face id.

Edited by Joe Terrapin

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Is this some kind of retro approach where we go back to carrying around literal bricks?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, paisleysaints said:

Good choice? I'm looking at Huawei p30

It's great. I totally love it. Went from iPhone then Samsung to this. Was thinking about the s10, as I had the s8 and liked it. Glad I opted for the Huawei.

Camera is fantastic & the screen is top notch.

• 5 weeks later...

I got the Huawei Honor 8X on Android 8 in January and the battery was unreal (indeed it's been voted by various tech outlets as the best budget phone you can get for overall performance).

However it recently updated to Android 9 with the Huawei EMUI on top of it and its laggy as fuck now and the battery life is definitely worse.

• 1 month later...

Looking for a new phone to replace my iPhone 5s; I'd imagine pretty much anything recent would be an upgrade, but I know f**k all about phones.

Had a quick scout about the interwebs, and the Galaxy S10 Plus seems to be considered one of the best, but I see Huawei phones are getting much love on here. Been reading that they might not have access to Android updates and suchlike due to the whole Chinese paranoia thing going on just now, so I'm curious if anyone thinks that should affect the purchase of Huawei phones just now. Also interested in people's opinions on the Samsung Galaxy line, and if there are better alternatives I should be considering. I'm a light user, but need a decent quality camera for work, and I'm sure an up-to-date phone would have plenty of options I'd find myself using. Frankly, I've found the iPhone to be a bit pish.

• 3 weeks later...
Looking for a new phone to replace my iPhone 5s; I'd imagine pretty much anything recent would be an upgrade, but I know f**k all about phones.
Had a quick scout about the interwebs, and the Galaxy S10 Plus seems to be considered one of the best, but I see Huawei phones are getting much love on here. Been reading that they might not have access to Android updates and suchlike due to the whole Chinese paranoia thing going on just now, so I'm curious if anyone thinks that should affect the purchase of Huawei phones just now. Also interested in people's opinions on the Samsung Galaxy line, and if there are better alternatives I should be considering. I'm a light user, but need a decent quality camera for work, and I'm sure an up-to-date phone would have plenty of options I'd find myself using. Frankly, I've found the iPhone to be a bit pish.
Something like the pixel 2/2xl would prob be a decent bet if you could pick one up at a decent price. Both still really fast phones with really good cameras.
Will both get updates from Google for the foreseeable since they are first party handsets.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally upgraded my s5, got the galaxy a50, by f**k the screen is much bigger for a start lol

Phone seems really good so far, few quirks i need to either tinker with or get used to (the notifications system is a bit pish tbh) and unable to hide apps from one screen when they are on another as well is a pain but I can live with that

Like BigFatTabbyDave I too am looking to replace my iPhone 5S whilst also being a complete n00b when it comes to phones.

I'm a MacBook w****r but I'm not overly fussed about staying with Apple - the iPhone layout is just a bit... uninspiring really. The main appeal of the iPhone was their much vaunted "security" as well as being easier to hook up with my laptop. But the never phones are a little bit steep for my budget, and the lack of a headphone jack is something that pushes me away from them.

My brother has a Pixel 3A and it looks very nice. However, a lot of folk are pushing me towards Samsung.

Help a brother out.