Tinder

So after a couple years of wanking furiously, I decided to join the world of online dating. 
Matched with a girl who is from Grenada but lives in the UK, and we got onto the topic of surnames. When I said what my surname was, she sent a load of laughing emojis before telling me that was also her surname. Very naively I said "I am really surprised that is a Grenadian surname" to which she replied "It's from when the Scots invaded Grenada and gave all the slaves surnames" 
I can fully admit I had no idea about this, and didn't know whether to apologise or not. I think my floundering and somewhat flustered reply amused her, as she wants to go for a drink at the end of the week. I will most likely relent from taking her to the Scottish Stores for a Tennants, but looking forward to it nonetheless.  

Get her pumped

If she is mixed race she is possibly descendent from both slaves and slave owners (as is fairly common in the Caribbean).

Probably best not to point that out, I'd stick to an exec summary on guns, germs and steel.

Grenada is a lovely country and the people are very friendly (in my experience) hope it goes well.

Edited by Satoshi

16 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

So after a couple years of wanking furiously, I decided to join the world of online dating. 

Matched with a girl who is from Grenada but lives in the UK, and we got onto the topic of surnames. When I said what my surname was, she sent a load of laughing emojis before telling me that was also her surname. Very naively I said "I am really surprised that is a Grenadian surname" to which she replied "It's from when the Scots invaded Grenada and gave all the slaves surnames" 

I can fully admit I had no idea about this, and didn't know whether to apologise or not. I think my floundering and somewhat flustered reply amused her, as she wants to go for a drink at the end of the week. I will most likely relent from taking her to the Scottish Stores for a Tennants, but looking forward to it nonetheless.  

In the 17th and 18thC a lot of Scots who were politically troublesome for the British authorities (ie wanted to retain our countries independence) were forcibly transported to the Caribbean as indentured servants.....effectively slaves. Its a little known (disgracefully so) part of our history.

So her surname may well be from an ancestor who was not a slave master..... but from an individual forcibly sent from Scotland to work the plantations alongside African fellow slaves.

It is very likely that this is how a large proportion of the Scottish surnames in the Caribbean originate.

https://archive2021.parliament.scot/gettinginvolved/petitions/PE01500-PE01599/PE01585_BackgroundInfo.aspx#:~:text=Jamaican%2FScottish surnames&text=The original cause of this,descent in the sugar plantations.

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

They replaced Tinder in Falkirk with the family whatsapp group chat. 

In Iceland, they apparently have an app to check that you're not too closely related to potential partners.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

something of an old bump, cant quite be arsed trawling through the last 108 pages right now (some of which may be out of date by now anyway tbh)

is it pretty much a case that you have to pay for a gold subscription at a minimum to have a fighting chance on this? I downloaded it for free a week ago and set a profile up, handful of matches and ive even messaged a couple of girls on it, but i may not be sufficiently jaded to know what I'm meant to be doing yet, literally zero replies. Is it mainly a weekend thing too, been on after work a few times swipin' away but got a feeling it prioritises paid up members over cheapskates like myself.

it's early days tbf but the hit rate so far kinda has me debating whether it'd be worth signing up after the new year or not, not really got anything to lose but im wary of falling into a trap of the app just teasing me e.g. with a bunch of bots/fake profiles to keep me using the damn thing.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 02/08/2022 at 10:43, LondonHMFC said:

Would be nice to hear what the outcome of this one was?…

56 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

something of an old bump, cant quite be arsed trawling through the last 108 pages right now (some of which may be out of date by now anyway tbh)

is it pretty much a case that you have to pay for a gold subscription at a minimum to have a fighting chance on this? I downloaded it for free a week ago and set a profile up, handful of matches and ive even messaged a couple of girls on it, but i may not be sufficiently jaded to know what I'm meant to be doing yet, literally zero replies. Is it mainly a weekend thing too, been on after work a few times swipin' away but got a feeling it prioritises paid up members over cheapskates like myself.

it's early days tbf but the hit rate so far kinda has me debating whether it'd be worth signing up after the new year or not, not really got anything to lose but im wary of falling into a trap of the app just teasing me e.g. with a bunch of bots/fake profiles to keep me using the damn thing.

The short answer to this is yes.

gold won't make anyone more attracted to you but it will allow you to get the best outcome from those who do.

There are a huge amount of time wasters on the app and a good 70 % of matches will not engage in any meaningful conversation with you, either completely ignored or a few replies then getting " ghosted" - when they stop replying to you

Gold allows you to see who has liked your profile before you decide to match with them or not, and they don't know how long you have known about this for, I called this the waiting room,  (one of them could end up being your wife, just think about that) 

by leaving potential matches in the waiting room, you can manage them much more easily, without this feature you could end up matching with someone when your at work or busy away from your phone and hours have passed before you can send a message - by that point the girl has lost interest and moved on ( remember , woman get around 10 times as many likes as blokes) 

the most amount of conversations you can manage at once is about 3 - you will still have all your other phone related distractions going on,  go to your pages of likes, select 2 or 3 at a time and chat with them, those who don't reply or are obviously going nowhere can be binned in short order where as you can dedicate the time necessary to go from ice breaking to meeting with ones who do actually engage and all this time the others can wait their turn. 

if all of these were done just by swiping and matching, you could end up with too many conversations at once and you run the risk of wasting time chasing a lost cause whilst a genuine chance slips away because you are distracted in other conversations.

Couple of other hints;

get a woman you know -trusted friend or family member to take your pictures and even pick what your wearing in them will make a huge difference, a selfie on the couch won't cut it

A depressingly high number of male users are complete wankstains, simply being respectful to women goes a long way.

you absolutely cannot afford to be timid or shy - someone else will come and take her attention from under you

it can be hard to pick a main course when there's a buffet

Aye; women get about 1000x more messages than any guy will, and most of them will be abhorrent. Need to try your best and just stand out and carry a good conversation. Even then, it doesn’t always work. Don’t let it get you down though. Things will happen eventually.