The Alloa Athletic Thread

Unfortunately missing this weekends fixture due to the international clash- think we are the only match in the league that hasn't been moved to accommodate. Think there will be a few others in the same boat who go to away games and also follow the national team.

Appreciate its just unfortunate due to the distance rather than pointing fingers at the respective clubs- couldn't expect the players to get up there for an evening game, and would put us at a disadvantage. A shame to be missing Peterheads social club, and the way they're going might not get back there for a while..  

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Hoping Peterhead don't get a new manager bounce, although seeing the article from the chairman it doesn't look like the clubs in a good place at all. 

The 4-2-3-1 has been quite good the last couple weeks. Hopefully Church is back so we can have a left footer in at LB. 

Anyone know what's wrong with Devine? Fair play to him, he's always in the stands watching the games but seems pointless to have kept him on loan if he's still not fit.

On 28/03/2023 at 23:01, Kevchenko said:

New episode up for anyone still sober after the Scotland game! A look back at the win at Peterhead then a preview of a blockbuster game against Airdrie.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Good listen as always. I really hope we stick with four across across the back with Robbo and Miller in front. Airdrie at their best can be the most explosive side in the league IMO.  Three at the back and midfield diamond can leave us potentially very vulnerable. With Robbo and Murray together in CM we can give their midfield a real challenge and the back four is more compact too. And while they are very dangerous with their tales up, I do feel Airdrie are there to be got at if we compete in midfield. Our real strength is our attacking midfielders. Robbo and Murray can provide a real foundation for Donnelly, Scougall, Cawley etc to do their thing a bit further up. 4-2-3-1 or something close best suits our squad and IMO particularly useful in this game. 

29 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Robbo and Murray can provide a real foundation

Think you’re bang on with that. They have definitely provided a solid platform over the last 3 weeks and I think having the 2 of them as more defensively minded midfielders allows the fullbacks to still have the confidence to push forward even with a back 4. 

On 05/04/2023 at 21:13, Kevchenko said:

That's this week's episode of the podcast up - a dissapointing defeat to Airdrie and then preview of the Queen of the South game.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Good stuff as ever. Perhaps something of a reflection on our season that there is discussion there on how best to accommodate a left back in centre midfield to get a left sided player into the side....rather than playing them at left back😁

If either Strachan or Church are fit I'd start them LB. If Scougall is fit he should invariably start. Otherwise wouldn't want to change it much. I'd agree with a lot of what was said about Cammy and I think he has been underused but probably unlikely he comes in from the cold to start here.

If I remember right, did Cammy and Scougs get contracts till the end of next season?

Agree Cammy's been underused, barring the red card against Edinburgh, he's usually been pretty good when he's been on.

9 minutes ago, Rory said:

If I remember right, did Cammy and Scougs get contracts till the end of next season?

Agree Cammy's been underused, barring the red card against Edinburgh, he's usually been pretty good when he's been on.

Yeah, both signed until 2024

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Yeah, both signed until 2024

Been disappointed with Cammy this term he has not kicked on much and  nailed down a starting berth in that team..

Just hope big Connor gets a start tomorrow. He has his critics but the other forwards we have are hardly banging in the goals for us . He was missed last week as we were no threat midfield to front . 

Worry for tomorrow as they are playing well and picking up points . Would take a draw right now 

1 hour ago, Oweny said:

Been disappointed with Cammy this term

Me too! he has hardly set the heather on fire when he has had a chance, Seems as has been said before he is a confidence player to a extent which affects his game more than some .

1 hour ago, Oweny said:

Worry for tomorrow as they are playing well and picking up points . Would take a draw right now 

Remember, we've just received the much coveted Manager of the Month jinx ...

11 hours ago, Oweny said:

Been disappointed with Cammy this term he has not kicked on much and  nailed down a starting berth in that team..

I'm not sure he's had a proper chance to kick on. He had a wee run early on which included a brilliant performance in his favoured position in midfield followed by a new contract. He seemed poised to really make a breakthrough but was immediately shunted to LB then out of the team and hasn't played 90 minutes since. Hasn't had a proper chance since the Edinburgh red card. We obviously don't see training etc but on the only occasion he got anything like a run in the team (and it wasn't even an extended run) in midfield he did well. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

I'm not sure he's had a proper chance to kick on. He had a wee run early on which included a brilliant performance in his favoured position in midfield followed by a new contract. He seemed poised to really make a breakthrough but was immediately shunted to LB then out of the team and hasn't played 90 minutes since. Hasn't had a proper chance since the Edinburgh red card. We obviously don't see training etc but on the only occasion he got anything like a run in the team (and it wasn't even an extended run) in midfield he did well. 

Yeah I agree he’s not had much of a chance. His only consistent run of starts coincided with our best run of form of the season ironically. 

I do think the way we’ve lined up the last 3 or 4 games would suit Cammy really well. Can see him in the role Coulson has been playing, but can understand the way Quinn has been playing merits his run of starts. In saying that, he’s been less effective the last 2 games, so could understand if Rice made a change for this one. 

I do feel Cammy adds a lot at set pieces, where we have struggled to look threatening this season. 

58 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Yeah I agree he’s not had much of a chance. His only consistent run of starts coincided with our best run of form of the season ironically. 

I do think the way we’ve lined up the last 3 or 4 games would suit Cammy really well. Can see him in the role Coulson has been playing, but can understand the way Quinn has been playing merits his run of starts. In saying that, he’s been less effective the last 2 games, so could understand if Rice made a change for this one. 

I do feel Cammy adds a lot at set pieces, where we have struggled to look threatening this season. 

I'd agree with that and I think he could potentially also be very good in a deeper midfield two. Hopefully he will get a proper run, certainly needs to kick on soon if he is going to make it. He is good enough. 

Anyway, good luck to the Wasps today 🐝