The Alloa Athletic Thread

51 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Saw Coulson got on the team of the week, so how is he doing for you lot? He was languishing on our bench and had a forgettable term at Cowdenbeath last year, but Murray seemed to rate him. 

Good ball player , Finishing could be better , for a 19 yr old he is a prospect .

40 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Good ball player , Finishing could be better , for a 19 yr old he is a prospect .

He was languishing behind a surfeit of wingers for us, glad he’s getting a chance, sad we don’t get any advantage, but it’s always nice to see players develop.

2 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Last day to make a loan signing but it looks like we’re going with what we have. Little disappointed that we haven’t got in an attacker that has pace to get in behind as that would give us more of a plan B in attack. 

We already have our full quota of loans I don't think we are able to sign anyone on loan even if we wanted to.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

He was languishing behind a surfeit of wingers for us, glad he’s getting a chance, sad we don’t get any advantage, but it’s always nice to see players develop.

Quinn has been used mainly behind two strikers through the middle. He's doing very well; quick, strong and direct, has ability on the ball. Has grabbed his opportunity so far. We don't have any similar players and he's stood out for that reason also.

A little surprised with Rice’s comments yesterday regarding the centre halves - first goal comes from Sammon missing the header at the front and 2nd is a wicked cross. 

I thought the 3 cbs dealt with the threat centrally pretty well yesterday and they were winning everything aerially. 

Will have a look at some stats for the podcast this week but it feels like we’ve conceded a fair few from set pieces this season which is a pretty serious concern. 

On watching the highlights the Comrie challenge on Coulson looks a lot more contentious than I thought at the time, could have been a game changing moment. 

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

A little surprised with Rice’s comments yesterday regarding the centre halves - first goal comes from Sammon missing the header at the front and 2nd is a wicked cross. 

I thought the 3 cbs dealt with the threat centrally pretty well yesterday and they were winning everything aerially. 

Will have a look at some stats for the podcast this week but it feels like we’ve conceded a fair few from set pieces this season which is a pretty serious concern. 

On watching the highlights the Comrie challenge on Coulson looks a lot more contentious than I thought at the time, could have been a game changing moment. 

That's maybe where the manager's frustration is coming from with the centre halves. We aren't that great at attacking crosses, apart from Durnan and Andy G. Of course if you are going to pick full backs in your back three then that could be an issue. 😋

I think there's an argument for swapping Doyley and Taggs over. The former attacks the ball much better and Taggs is much more creative at right wing back. Of course we would lose Taggs general play at CH and he's been excellent there all season.

I actually thought the ref was top notch yesterday, much better than last week. It may have been a foul on Coulson (don't think it was), but I can't see that being a red even if it was. 

Some decent points printer and Kev, topics I was also discussing with my mate on the journey back. Doyle can play CB as we know so certainly think there's something to trading him with Taggart position wise.

Be interesting to see how many goals we've conceded from crosses when Andy Graham is playing. 

I was pretty frustrated with how the game went, we had a really good spell in the first half but ultimately didn't do ourselves justice. No complaints with the outcome but thought a result was there for the taking had we done a bit more in our best phase of the game. We didn't have nearly as much foothold in the midfield once Scougall left the pitch.

Clearly still some injury problems in the squad which hopefully clear up a bit this week. Next Saturdays game probably a far bigger one for us.

Wee bit disappointed more supporters didn't go through for the game, was a far smaller number of away fans at East End than more recent fixtures there.

17 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Be interesting to see how many goals we've conceded from crosses when Andy Graham is playing

That thought ran through my head when listening to Rice talk about Dunfermline being a threat in that area - Andy Magneto would seem to be someone to consider selecting in that situation. 

Will see if I can figure out how many are conceded when he’s played, one certainly springs to mind, his outrageous diving header past Hogarth versus Kelty 😂

4 hours ago, printer said:

We aren't that great at attacking crosses, apart from Durnan and Andy G. Of course if you are going to pick full backs in your back three then that could be an issue. 😋

I think there's an argument for swapping Doyley and Taggs over. The former attacks the ball much better and Taggs is much more creative at right wing back. Of course we would lose Taggs general play at CH and he's been excellent there all season.

Good point about the perils of using full-backs in the centre of defence 😁

It might indeed be worth trying swapping Taggart and Doyle. Doyley a really good player and legend but I agree that Taggs brings more going forward at RB/RWB and (IMO) is also a more composed CB. That was why the Doyle deal wasn't totally ideal, albeit it was still far, far better than using Cawley or King in a defensive role. Disappointing that even with Taggs and Doyle in the team that we still end up with Kev being used there yesterday. But Doyle at CB, while perhaps not all round as composed as Taggs, might well make us stronger in terms of attacking the ball. 

Or we could go with the radical idea of using a combination of the three natural CBs we have at the club. 

4 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Just went through all the goals we’ve conceded this season and it’s frightening the amount that come from crosses. 

Would be interested to see these stats. Daniel Church has been excellent going forward and deserves a lot of praise but my impression has been that he still needs to work on stopping crosses. Perhaps the stats wouldn't back that up. A settled defence is certainly a huge help in general but in particular in defending set pieces and other balls into the box. We haven't had a settled defence all season. Think Jay Hogarth deserves great credit in that respect for his work as a young keeper generally doing very well behind a defensive unit which changes frequently. 

Wasn't really expecting anything yesterday anyway. Next week a much bigger game and we owe them still for the last time there. 

Wouldn't mind Doyle at CB to let Taggs move out to the right. I'd like two regular CBs in with him though and have Church or Strachan on the left.

When Durnan or Graham play, they are very vocal in organising the defence.

Again wouldn't mind Rankin or Donnelly getting a start up top with MacIver.

It doesn't look like it. If it was going to be moved it would have been by now. We both had a free Saturday in February (Scottish Cup Round 5) which would probably have been the only viable date.

It's not a fixture that can be easily switched to a weekday evening due to the length of travel time for the players, all of whom will have day jobs. 

Can understand them not moving it, but it's one I'll miss as a result.

Edit- clashes with Scotland vs Cyprus at Hampden (kick off 2pm) for those wondering what the hell we are on about. A lot of clubs have moved their games

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)