The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, printer said:

When I parked in Morrison's yesterday I checked the lineups on BBC Sport and they had Doyley in Strachan's position. I thought, "surely not???". 😄

Yeah I wouldnt have been too shocked 🙂. I thought Doyley did fine last night for his first game back, and will turn out to be a decent signing.

I was talking to a guy last night who has his son playing for the club at youth level. He came along for the game last night but doesnt tend to see the first team at all as he watches Aberdeen home and away. He was telling me about his son getting some game time in a recent bounce match against East Stirling. Said "hes centre midfield, but Brian Rice put him on at right back". I just burst out laughing.

45 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Yeah I wouldnt have been too shocked 🙂. I thought Doyley did fine last night for his first game back, and will turn out to be a decent signing.

I was talking to a guy last night who has his son playing for the club at youth level. He came along for the game last night but doesnt tend to see the first team at all as he watches Aberdeen home and away. He was telling me about his son getting some game time in a recent bounce match against East Stirling. Said "hes centre midfield, but Brian Rice put him on at right back". I just burst out laughing.

😅

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I must be the only person who doesn't mind the unorthodox positions. RB and CM are two very similar positions in demands. I'd say RB is probably simpler if anything. Getting pigeon-holed into one position is for limited players.

There's time in every football game where you have to cover - or you float somewhere with space against an opposing team. Good to have a more broad footballing experience when that time comes.

41 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I must be the only person who doesn't mind the unorthodox positions. RB and CM are two very similar positions in demands. I'd say RB is probably simpler if anything. Getting pigeon-holed into one position is for limited players.

There's time in every football game where you have to cover - or you float somewhere with space against an opposing team. Good to have a more broad footballing experience when that time comes.

No I totally agree with what you're saying there. I'm not that bothered about it either in general. It's rarely dull and on occasion pretty effective.

Playing Kevin Cawley at right back however is a borderline insane concept I wouldn't even dream up after necking a bottle of rum. Despite the wee man's versatility.

Obviously want to see Alloa win and be successful but I also go to football on a Saturday for some entertainment. And "guess the formation based on the teamsheet" is a very difficult but fun pre match game.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Nobody has to pigeon holed into one position but using players where they are at their best whenever possible is pretty fundamental stuff. Of course there are times in every game when you have to cover and we are well served with versatile players, but you shouldn't be played out of your strongest position on a regular basis unless there is a good reason for it (as there was for spells in recent seasons with the likes of Robbo and Taggs). Some of the stuff this season falls into that category, but too often it has been unnecessary and to the detriment of the team. We've seen some great Alloa teams and performances over the last decade but they simply wouldn't have happened had the managers of the time regularly deployed key men away from their best positions. Flanny could probably have done ok at LB to be honest but I think we would have got tired of it pretty quickly. 

No coincidence again I'd suggest that we saw a better performance last night with almost everyone in their natural role. So wait for Coulson on the right of a back three next week. 

Edited by Waspie

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

No I totally agree with what you're saying there. I'm not that bothered about it either in general. It's rarely dull and on occasion pretty effective.

Playing Kevin Cawley at right back however is a borderline insane concept I wouldn't even dream up after necking a bottle of rum. Despite the wee man's versatility.

Obviously want to see Alloa win and be successful but I also go to football on a Saturday for some entertainment. And "guess the formation based on the teamsheet" is a very difficult but fun pre match game.

Of course... I'm not saying that everyone is equally good in a role, Cawley when he plays right back is the best example. His energy is wasted doing defensive work and it blunts any of his attacking threat... Most times we need the wee man to open teams up for us.

31 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Of course... I'm not saying that everyone is equally good in a role, Cawley when he plays right back is the best example. His energy is wasted doing defensive work and it blunts any of his attacking threat... Most times we need the wee man to open teams up for us.

And we have missed him last couple of games , it has been said that if it had been wee kev on the end of scougall's attempt we would have taken the lead . (Mibbe )    :-)

We got a brief mention on Open Goal podcast this week with David Hutton.

He talks about an Alloa fan who booed him during his debut then came to training the next Tuesday and apologized. Then said the same fan was giving him pelters last time Airdrie were at the Recs.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

We got a brief mention on Open Goal podcast this week with David Hutton.

He talks about an Alloa fan who booed him during his debut then came to training the next Tuesday and apologized. Then said the same fan was giving him pelters last time Airdrie were at the Recs.

The smart money is on @Redwedge77😉

Huffed and puffed to day and should have taken at least a point. If we don't manage to get a striker into the club in the next week before window closes I see mid table mediocre come the end of season.

Shame, as we have a team that can compete with all teams in this league, goals are just becoming a rarity at a crucial time in season.

2 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Huffed and puffed to day and should have taken at least a point. If we don't manage to get a striker into the club in the next week before window closes I see mid table mediocre come the end of season.

Shame, as we have a team that can compete with all teams in this league, goals are just becoming a rarity at a crucial time in season.

Yeah we have been goal shy of late, cost us today , it is swings and roundabouts in the 3rd 4th playoff spots , A tough double header with falkirk was always going to see us drop points , Important game with Montrose coming up , we should get something from it surely though .

See Doyle has number 4 now, does that mean Howie has officially left the club?

Hoping we can get another striker in before end of loan window. Our attacks just a bit samey with Sammon and MacIver. Guessing Rodden still a few weeks off a return?

16 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Probably the main thing I’ve taken away from our games against you guys is how desperately you need better options up front. Some neat moves in the buildup but how many times did they fizzle into absolutely nothing? Finishing has been the difference in the three games.

19 minutes ago, Rory said:

Hoping we can get another striker in before end of loan window. Our attacks just a bit samey with Sammon and MacIver. Guessing Rodden still a few weeks off a return?

He mentioned in the stand at the Airdrie game that he reckoned 5 weeks so I think that would mean at least another couple to go. 

Totally agree about the front 2 being very similar, feel we are crying out for a poacher (although most teams probably feel the same). MacIver and Sammon do a lot outwith the 18 yard box so I’d be more than happy to ‘carry’ someone who only really operates in and around the 6 yard box/penalty spot. Still feel Offord could do that (and more) and notice if he is getting off the bench for St Mirren it’s only been for the last 10 minutes or so since he went back. 

Different mould to Offord, but someone like Anton Dowds isn’t getting a lot of game time last couple of months at Partick. 

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

Still feel Offord could do that (and more) and notice if he is getting off the bench for St Mirren it’s only been for the last 10 minutes or so since he went back.

Was watching sportscene last night and the st Mirren assistant manager mentioned Offord, he said they're trying to give their academy players more minutes.

Hopefully Rice has a couple of people in mind.

Nice to see the Falkirk fans largely condemning the fan who upset Rice with the gambling shouts too.