The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Moving away from the Airdrie thread (which fills me with dread )🙈

the debate about Rice being good or bad , He sits somewhere in the middle of these IMO , 

Not bad enough to be looking over his shoulder but not quite getting the max from the squad we have .

So as Waspie said he will be here for a while yet . 

We have no right to beat Peterhead on saturday either so it is not a guaranteed three points by any means (our struggle against Clyde recently being a case in point ) hopefully everyone involved has learnt from the Airdrie debacle .

Also on the subject of utterly Gash Alloa teams , I have seen some right poor ensemble's in my time and it is hard to really complain , If we had the pyramid system a few (a good few ) years back we might just have went into oblivion , I think we have Mr Mulraney to thank regardless of your opinion of his business empire , we are in essence a 2nd division team it has to be said , carefull what you wish for and all of that  .

Not a chance- avoiding the label of the worst team in Scotland was never in any doubt in 1996- achieved by goal difference on the very last day of the season. Shudder to think of the state of Alloa68 that season 🙂😉

TBF that was some league 2 of the teams are now in the premiership, 2 in the championship, and three are no longer in the SPFL.

That Pat MacAuley team was fucking dreadful, but we also appointed Tom Hendrie that season ushering in one of my favourite Alloa teams and times following the Wasps.

This week's episode of the podcast is up if you can listen through any more discussion about Saturday. There's some more positive news in a round up of the Under 20s and the Women's team, and then looking ahead to Peterhead with Colin from the Blue Toon podcast joining us later on.

Just to keep everyone happy, we end up suggesting a different central midfielder to throw in at right back this week...

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Not a chance- avoiding the label of the worst team in Scotland was never in any doubt in 1996- achieved by goal difference on the very last day of the season. Shudder to think of the state of Alloa68 that season 🙂😉

Indeed. That was the season he broke the space bar on his keyboard! 😉

52 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

This week's episode of the podcast is up if you can listen through any more discussion about Saturday. There's some more positive news in a round up of the Under 20s and the Women's team, and then looking ahead to Peterhead with Colin from the Blue Toon podcast joining us later on.

Just to keep everyone happy, we end up suggesting a different central midfielder to throw in at right back this week...

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Are we playing a back four this week? 😯 😉

1 hour ago, printer said:

Indeed. That was the season he broke the space bar on his keyboard! 😉

Nice to see someone can have a wee laugh just now.I haven't been on the last couple of days due to organising two funeral's for close family who have passed away recently.When I can be arsed coming back here,maybe I'll get my sense of humour back like you guys.Have a nice evening.I still only want a successful Alloa side,despite everything.Football is my stress relief,but it ain't working just now,so won't be back anytime soon.

We've tried most other formations, I'd like to see a 4-2-2-2. Hogarth in goal, back four of Taggs Durnan Stanger Church/Strachan, two holding midfielders Robbo and Miller, two more attacking midfielders Scougall and Donnelly then MacIver and Sammon up top.

Sometimes think with the 5-3-2 that Robbo ends up being a bit isolated and overrun, particularly against the better teams in the league.

Seen St Mirren signed Watt on loan, could hopefully allow Offord to come back to us. Our strikers are too similar, especially with Rodden injured.

24 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I Don't think Offord would want to come back , he wasn't exactly happy with the way it went as far as i know .

Can't really blame him to be honest! I saw he came on for St Mirren at the weekend, I imagine he'd rather sit on the St Mirren bench and get 10/15 minutes than the Alloa bench

35 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I Don't think Offord would want to come back , he wasn't exactly happy with the way it went as far as i know .

I don't think that's entirely the case. He definitely wanted to play more but by all accounts enjoyed his time at Alloa. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he came back

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I don't think that's entirely the case. He definitely wanted to play more but by all accounts enjoyed his time at Alloa. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he came back

I hope you are right Brian as we could definitely do with a different option up front. If he does come back hope Brian Rice gives him a bit more game time as there is definitely talent there.

Would also like to see Cammy O'Donnell get more of a run out as when he is on it can be a real impact player but since the sending off at Edinburgh he has been hardly used.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Right, how are we going to fit Doyley into the team?

Answers on a postcard to Chipper Rice c/o Alloa FC, The Indodrill, Alloa.

Don't know where but KFC putting protective nets up across their drive thru in preparation for his crosses.

I jest. Good to have the boy back, I'm sure he'll be great for the dressing room and can play centre back and obviously right back.

I am glad we have a couple of left back options already though. Saw Doyley play once for Alloa as left back- Montrose away in Hartleys first season- and the results were disastrous 😄.

3 hours ago, printer said:

Right, how are we going to fit Doyley into the team?

Answers on a postcard to Chipper Rice c/o Alloa FC, The Indodrill, Alloa.

Can’t believe you need to ask, as a full back, he must be a stick on to find a place in central defence surely?

We did call on the pod we wanted a right back or a natural right sided centre half, same as we did with Strachan / Church. My only unknown is who plays the RWB and who plays RCB out of him and Taggs, will be interesting. Much prefer this signing and option than a Morgyn Neil.

20 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Don't know where but KFC putting protective nets up across their drive thru in preparation for his crosses.

I jest. Good to have the boy back, I'm sure he'll be great for the dressing room and can play centre back and obviously right back.

I am glad we have a couple of left back options already though. Saw Doyley play once for Alloa as left back- Montrose away in Hartleys first season- and the results were disastrous 😄.

When I parked in Morrison's yesterday I checked the lineups on BBC Sport and they had Doyley in Strachan's position. I thought, "surely not???". 😄