The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

I only see us bringing in another centre defender if David Devine goes back to Motherwell. 

Also what happened to the boy seff Khayyam we signed in the summer, is he still at be the club?

Definitely think we need another centre midfielder too, I see Stevie hetherington is barely playing at Falkirk, I would take him back in a heartbeat and feel we are missing someone like him in our midfield.

Agreed, but rumoured to be going to Arbroath. On loan I think.

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Not so sure they have just signed Ryan Dow. I'd drive Hetherington to Alloa myself. 

Was excellent for us but he was playing in a good settled team back then playing beside Flannigan in the middle of the park. A good Alloa team then. 

18 minutes ago, Rory said:

Is it a permanent deal or loan? Got good football pedigree in his family!

Usually they would say if  its a loan ,not much more detail .

Hetherington to Arbroath is good for them if Fawkirk haven't driven the football out of the guy  .

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

We have signed Steven Hetherington. What kind of player was he at Alloa?

One of our best players in the Championship. Might need some rehabilitation after his time in the Falkirk nightmare factory.

What's your current record for yellow cards in a season? No reason.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Is it a permanent deal or loan? Got good football pedigree in his family!

As his grandpa says, genetics are very important in football.

Strachan was on loan at us last season and although he started off shaky he was very good. He created a lot of chances and he was one of our better players in the first half of the season. I would say he’s better going forward than defensively but that isn’t to say he is poor in the latter.

Bizarrely Gary Irvine then decided to drop him in January and play a CM there. I’m not saying it’s related but our form was awful after he was dropped.

How was Strachan today?

Saw on twitter QotS have appointed Marvin Bartley. I wonder if Rice was just rumours or if there was any communication.

Noticed Howie wasn't in the squad today. Unless he's injured again, I'd take that as a sign he could be on the way out. Shame if he is, he's not really had a chance to impress here.

47 minutes ago, Rory said:

How was Strachan today?

Saw on twitter QotS have appointed Marvin Bartley. I wonder if Rice was just rumours or if there was any communication.

Noticed Howie wasn't in the squad today. Unless he's injured again, I'd take that as a sign he could be on the way out. Shame if he is, he's not really had a chance to impress here.

I was very impressed with him, thought it was a really good debut. Church has had a really good season since he was dropped, but we absolutely needed another left sided defender in. 

Be interesting how Rice uses the pair of them as I’m not going to be advocating for Church at centre half as he was today!

First half we were really poor with Strachan probably one of the top performers. Sammon and Rodden just don't work together up front.

Second half we went to 4-4-2 for a spell and dominated the game. They didn't really threat apart from a free kick off the bar and think we just deserved to win the game.

A little disappointed in the away support today, get it that the distance and weather may have put people off but wasn't many of us there.

Good 3 points and onto another big game next week.

16 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

I was very impressed with him, thought it was a really good debut. Church has had a really good season since he was dropped, but we absolutely needed another left sided defender in. 

Be interesting how Rice uses the pair of them as I’m not going to be advocating for Church at centre half as he was today!

Indeed. Don't fancy Church at centre back regularly. For all his pace he just isn't a good enough defender IMO. Given today's line up, maybe Rice disagrees.

5 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

First half we were really poor with Strachan probably one of the top performers. Sammon and Rodden just don't work together up front.

Second half we went to 4-4-2 for a spell and dominated the game. They didn't really threat apart from a free kick off the bar and think we just deserved to win the game.

A little disappointed in the away support today, get it that the distance and weather may have put people off but wasn't many of us there.

Good 3 points and onto another big game next week.

Would have gone but ill all week off work, could have picked up work in dumfries too! 

which was a shame ,