The Alloa Athletic Thread

It was a game of lots of chances and although I thought we just edged the first half, there were real scary moments where our young goalie set up Alloa's best chances!

I don't blame him as such as we appear to want to "play it out" but it's often scary.

Thought Alloa were more active in the 2nd half and always felt Sammon would come in to score. I also saw Graham and Taggart as central rocks whilst our midfield never really got going in 2nd half.

I've disliked the changes to this cup competition since the colts etc so no great loss but good luck to Alloa and a good draw. Enjoyed being able to pay at gate, and thanks to the club for letting me know!

I see that Ayr are looking for fan views on moving to earlier kick offs to save some cash with flood lights over the winter. 

@LeodhasXD if league games were moved to outside the blackout window would that allow streaming within the UK/Ireland? Is it something like 2:45pm it would need to be finished by?

On 02/10/2022 at 16:57, Kevchenko said:

I see that Ayr are looking for fan views on moving to earlier kick offs to save some cash with flood lights over the winter. 

@LeodhasXD if league games were moved to outside the blackout window would that allow streaming within the UK/Ireland? Is it something like 2:45pm it would need to be finished by?

In theory, yes, 14:45 - 17:15 UK time is the blackout hours. However I think we are pretty comfortable with continuing 3 o'clock kick offs and moving the kick-offs causes problems for hospitality. I don't see us changing any kick-off times as things stand.

Edited by LeodhasXD

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

In theory, yes, 14:45 - 17:15 UK time is the blackout hours. However I think we are pretty comfortable with continuing 3 o'clock kick offs and moving the kick-offs causes problems for hospitality. I don't see us changing any kick-off times as things stand.

That makes sense. Blackouts are an absolute nonsense at this level.

On 04/10/2022 at 16:23, Kevchenko said:

That's this weeks episode up, covering the QoS game and looking ahead to the Dunfermline game this Saturday.

@Stellabozjoins us for the Pars perspective.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Another excellent listen, really enjoying these. 

Agree strongly about Taggs. I'm like a broken record here but it's disappointing that months into Brian Rice's reign he still persists with this. He has done really well for us in steadying the ship initially and then solid recruitment in the summer. Crucially, he clearly has the backing of the squad. I just wish though that he'd keep key men in their best roles and aim for a more consistent shape. Taggs can do a good job at CB but he is a brilliant RB/RWB, both in defence and as a real attacking option (he was destroying Celtic down the flank earlier this year). We know all about Kevin Cawley, he needs to be further up the field and more central. Ideally I'd prefer MacIver further up too, very effective up top or in behind but less so the deeper he goes. 

Similarly, when a team is up against it (like last week), I always feel it helps to have an established shape to fall back into. A consistent CB partnership, Taggs at RB, a strong centre midfield. The constant chopping and changing doesn't help there. We scored loads of goals against weaker teams by going with loads of attacking players. It was all a bit chaotic (Clyde away for example) but effective and we overran them despite not having a solid shape. It won't work against better teams. I'd like to see the manager settling down his back three if that's going to be his formation of choice, keep Taggs on the right, give Church a proper run on the left, and get either Miller or Cammy in beside Robbo to give us a stronger CM presence (with Scougall). 

Being able to switch to a four at the back or whatever else is good and it's useful to have those options, but really feel an established and strong foundation is required and that's something we haven't quite managed yet, despite very good progress overall over the last few months. 

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I'd like to see the manager settling down his back three if that's going to be his formation

I feel like we might see that when someone returns from injury shortly, namely Craig Howie. 

Situation with Durnan is unfortunate, as that’s probably resulted in a bit more changing, earlier than was expected. 

How long is Durnan out with his fire service?

Felt we defended ok on the whole on Saturday despite getting beat 3-0, just a couple of mistakes lead to goals. Devine and Stanger looked solid enough when we went to a back 4 second half. 

Hoping for a better performance at least on Saturday which will be a tough game. Rodden had a bad game so I reckon Offord or Donnelly will start ahead of him, would lean toward Offord though as rice seems to like the big guy/small guy up top. Been quite impressed with Donnelly so wouldn't grudge him a start.

Its the classic football manager cliche- "dont get too high and dont get too low" for me with regards to Saturday.

I actually thought we were okay up until the opener- fell out of it a bit for the remainder of the half and the second goal was obviously a real blow- such a simple goal to lose at a terrible time.

Also thought Rodden was limited in effect- but I give the credit to both Dunfermline centre backs who were excellent rather than giving Rodden too much of a hard time. Its like Waspie says a few posts up about the better teams. Rodden has been good so far but facing Dunfermlines defence is a big step up for him compared to where he was previously. And fair play to him- he never hid and put in a ton of work even when nothing was really coming off.

Second half we were obviously better. But I think Dunfermline had the 2-goal lead and were quite comfortable letting us play and hit on the counter. MacIver going off injured was a blow, as he had pretty much won everything in the air up to that point. Cawley was a threat, and again Donnelly caused problems in his own cumbersome way. Scougall was excellent all afternoon for me- didnt deserve to be on the losing side.

We lost a couple of soft goals, and thats always going to make it tough against a team with a fairly solid defence. Cammy left wing back is a bit of a nonsense for me and expecting a couple of changes this Saturday- but I wouldnt say it needs knocked down and started from scratch. Dunfermline got their lead and managed the game really well on Saturday. We werent terrible- better than Palmerston the previous week.

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

Apologies it's a bit later than usual, but that's the latest episode of the podcast up.

@AndyDD is back on with us to help preview tomorrow's game.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Best time of the week- Saturday morning listening to build up for the game 👌

Last 2 games have been pretty poor but can’t help thinking we’re not far away from being a decent side who’ll be up there. Still think Scougall should be playing in behind the front 2, he was far more effective when he was in there at the start of the season than he has been in the last few weeks - MacIver isn’t good enough on the ball to be in there.

Big 2 games coming up for us, 4 points would be an excellent and much needed return from them with an easier run of games coming after.

19 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

Last 2 games have been pretty poor but can’t help thinking we’re not far away from being a decent side who’ll be up there. Still think Scougall should be playing in behind the front 2, he was far more effective when he was in there at the start of the season than he has been in the last few weeks - MacIver isn’t good enough on the ball to be in there.

Big 2 games coming up for us, 4 points would be an excellent and much needed return from them with an easier run of games coming after.

It will depend on whether BR plays the right 11 from the start and doesn't need to change it after going down a goal or two,  and plays certain players in there more potent position  . Howie still not being considered baffles me a bit  .

4 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

Must admit I prefer Scougs as one of the central midfield two; think we look at our best when we keep the ball and pass it about - Scougs and Robbo are fundamental for that IMO.

I agree McIver isn't best suited to playing behind the front two. Have always thought that is Kev's best position and believe we should be playing him there. Donnelly would be my first alternative.

Four points would indeed be a very good return.

I'd prefer Scougall behind the front two as well and think he's been at his best for us there, certainly in games I've seen (haven't seen as many as I'd like his season I admit). I wouldn't mind Robbo and Cammy in the middle to give us a good presence there but plenty of football too, and Scougs a bit further up. Do find it strange that Cammy had a stormer in CM, got praise and a new deal, and was almost immediately then punted out to LWB. The manager made a big call in keeping Church and not adding another LB and as such he should give him a proper run there. 

All that said, I'd be happy enough with Robbo and Scougs together in midfield and Kev behind the strikers. Offord with Sammon up top. And Taggart RWB 😜

Edited by Waspie

Any news on Stanger? Guessing injured since he wasn't on the bench. Edit: just seen Rice interview, him and Cammy are both ill 

Airdrie were pretty poor overall but not going to complain about that.

Thought Church done ok coming back into the team today, he put in a couple of decent crosses and always shouting for the ball. Think it suits him better at LB as opposed to a wing back.

Devine looked a bit ropey at times, biggest example when he ended up clattering Robbo both going for the same ball. Cawley wasn't really tested much at right back, his cross for Donnelly's goal was good. MacIvers finish the best goal I can remember so far this season.

Edited by Rory
Updating