The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Dont forget Ben Armour and PJ Crossan will also make their return to the hallowed turf. Powderkeg stuff 🙂. I'm actually looking forward to it in all seriousness. Not sure what the weather forecast is, but any afternoon standing at Clackmannan Road end not freezing to death is to be savoured.

Ah yes  P J   I can still hear  Jim Goodwin Shouting those initials from the touchline , Armour will be motivated for sure 

Couldn't really judge us on Tuesday as Albion were really poor. I worry for them as if they drop out of the league, the Derby will be lost forever. 

We certainly looked fitter and this is what pre season is all about. 

Felt a bit more pre-season ish today particularly in the first half where I thought we were quite poor, although I was reasonably impressed with Forfar. 

Was a bit of a strange shape that seemed to be a 442 but with a bit of a bizarre midfield - appeared to be Cammy wide left, Robbo and King in the middle with Scougall playing further forward and Taggs responsible for the whole right hand side of the pitch. Church played very narrow in the 1st half and was almost tucking in as a 3rd centre back when we were out of possession and Cammy playing as a wing back. Didn’t really like the shape and felt it contributed to us looking disjointed in the first 45. 

In saying that, Stanger looked much better as 1 of 2 centre halves - thought he was very good today throughout. Robbo and Scougall were good again and I thought O’Donnell had a strong game - wether it’s a wing back or wide midfielder we use, he would be my starting choice right now. 

Would be getting Rodden signed up pronto, you can see there is footballer there. His link up with O’Donnell down the left in the first half was good and just needs a bit of work on his final ball - think he could be good for Sammon as well, and he looks like he knows his way to goal. 

The second goal was sublime. The whole passage of play was excellent from Scougall being very strong in keeping possession and then driving forward, the quick interchange up the right and then an outstanding finish from Sammon. Could happily watch that kind of football all season!

Yeah it's certainly not a huge factor but of the 4 pre season games so far today was definitely the worst spectacle. But the strikers got on the scoresheet so job done in terms of progress. Agree that Sammons goal was pretty special with the build up play and the superb finish. Pretty uneventful but we looked fairly comfortable throughout the game. After the opener the result was never really in doubt. The 3 wins would have been expected but won't do any harm at all in terms of confidence for the League Cup campaign in 10 days.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Aye, it was a crap game, but we were comfortable again, albeit against another side in a lower league. We seem pretty organised for this point in the season, and have been quite tidy. Lot of accurate tackles going in so far, and some good closing down and occasional nice movement and passing play. Rice seems like he knows what he wants, and is doing a good job of getting it across to the players.

Lots to be optimistic about, but the next couple of games will give us more of an idea of where we are quality-wise.

Rodden signed according to Ciaran Vance in the Advertiser. Interesting one, taking a chance on a player from lower leagues was obviously a big part of Alloa's signing policy for many decades but something we haven't seen so much in more recent times with more of an emphasis on kids dropping down from higher levels or more established lower league players. Perhaps an indication of a smaller budget, different approach from Rice or maybe a bit of both. If Rodden can bring energy consistently and really grasp a big opportunity for himself then he could be a decent option. 

Still hoping there might be an established player or two to come in yet, as well as these younger ones. There is the makings of a good team but still a bit short. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Rodden signed according to Ciaran Vance in the Advertiser. Interesting one, taking a chance on a player from lower leagues was obviously a big part of Alloa's signing policy for many decades but something we haven't seen so much in more recent times with more of an emphasis on kids dropping down from higher levels or more established lower league players. Perhaps an indication of a smaller budget, different approach from Rice or maybe a bit of both. If Rodden can bring energy consistently and really grasp a big opportunity for himself then he could be a decent option. 

Still hoping there might be an established player or two to come in yet, as well as these younger ones. There is the makings of a good team but still a bit short. 

I think this is a classic case of we need a 20 goals a ,season striker and there are just none around literally,   looking around the leagues including the Premier league  you will struggle to get half a dozen players that will hit 20...I

Rodden was by no means a top striker in he WOSFL with Rossvale,  saw him last week at Broadwood and looked decent I thought,   for the record Sirling have went down the same route signing striker Burns from DBA in the WOSFL.

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I think this is a classic case of we need a 20 goals a ,season striker and there are just none around literally,   looking around the leagues including the Premier league  you will struggle to get half a dozen players that will hit 20...I

Aye, I guess the answer has to be working on finishing and movement for the rest of the squad so they can chip in with a few extra goals each.

Looks like Adam King's been practicing, judging by his finishing against Stirling!  :wub:

@LeodhasXD - any idea if the club has made up those wee card fixture lists to give away at the start of the season?

I know I should just get used to planning these things digitally, but I've found them quite useful in the past.

Reckon we could do a lot worse than tie up yesterday’s trialist, Muir, in goals. Experienced at this level and a steady head. Even if it is until we wait for the main target. Rice said last season importance of two senior keepers, why not secure him and have him as a No. 2 thereafter? Did at QP. Who knows how long we’ll be waiting and with the first cup game a week on Tuesday, think it’d be ok business. Even if it was short-term.

Have missed the last few friendlies (Stirling and Forfar) due to Covid, however, agree with all above. Good to see goals but not up against much. Rodden is an interesting one and he has certainly warranted his deal. He seems very raw, as you would expect, but extremely enthusiastic. He’s got a bit of pace and seems to know where the back of the net is. Bit of a wild card signing, happy with it. Could do with some more though and would imagine most will come from the loan market after this cup group stage is completed. With no knowledge here, purely my own opinion, it does look like we are working on a smaller budget by some from last season after it was all blown on a failed *experiment*.

Edited by KierenAAFC

Rodden is ok but I think he is not quite the finished article , What age is he  ? , Time will tell if he is good enough 

either of the keepers playing on saturday  would do as backup but hopefully the loan keeper we have coming in is a better option .

Edit ;   he is 25

Edited by Vegetableman

13 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Rodden is ok but I think he is not quite the finished article , What age is he  ? , Time will tell if he is good enough 

either of the keepers playing on saturday  would do as backup but hopefully the loan keeper we have coming in is a better option .

Edit ;   he is 25

Not so sure on this one. A 25 year old, relegated with a poor Rossvale outfit. He has something so hopefully a punt on him may be the best signing of the past couple of seasons.

On 03/07/2022 at 19:37, Vegetableman said:

Edit ;   he is 25

I remember when we first signed Kevin Cawley fro the Shire and wondered why we were signing someone from them😱

The rest is history 😁

Edited by laughing gravie

Do any of you guys know the script for away fans at tonights friendly. Our site says away fans welcome, your site says entry via home turnstiles, is that right.

Are away fans in the usual temporary stand?