The Alloa Athletic Thread

Didn't have the money for it last season, but I really enjoyed the commentary when we were stuck at home with Covid.

Any chance of @LeodhasXD sitting at the back of the stand with a megaphone?

Just now, BFTD said:

Didn't have the money for it last season, but I really enjoyed the commentary when we were stuck at home with Covid.

Any chance of @LeodhasXD sitting at the back of the stand with a megaphone?

I've looked into it before although not seen anything that jumps out at me, something like a hearing loop or a radio that'll just transmit in the ground. 

Dual bonus of increasing the accessibility for visually impaired fans although it's not ideal as we don't do an awful lot of descriptive commentary style stuff.

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

I've looked into it before although not seen anything that jumps out at me, something like a hearing loop or a radio that'll just transmit in the ground. 

Dual bonus of increasing the accessibility for visually impaired fans although it's not ideal as we don't do an awful lot of descriptive commentary style stuff.

I'd genuinely pay extra for that. Fucking determined I'm getting the money together again for a season book next month BTW. I don't suppose the board have reconsidered student rates?  :P

Could be wrong on this, but I seriously doubt the visually-impaired fans would mind listening to flights of fancy about Alloa-related stuff so long as you didn't miss the build-up to any goals!

I'd echo the general consensus about MacIver. A work in progress as a player I think and while he perhaps won't ever be a prolific scorer, certainly needs to work on his finishing. Off the top of my head I can recall a number of really good chances he didn't convert. However, even in the short loan spell and just a few starts his link up play in particular was really impressive. Decent in the air too. You can see why a few clubs at a higher level have taken him on. Hopefully at a lower level and with a manager who seems to really believe in him and with regular starts - something he hasn't really had - he can really kick on. 

Priorities for me now a commanding keeper, LB who can defend and also get up the flank, another strong CM to give us another option there like Robbo, and bit more pace and crucially goals in attack. Easy 😁

Hey lads, sorry to invade your thread, hoping one of you might be able to point me to a decent pub near to the ground, son has a Scottish cup final there tomorrow & I’ll have a couple of hours to kill before kick off. Cheers in advance. 

Edited by Brother Blades

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Hey lads, sorry to invade your thread, hoping one of you might be able to point me to a decent pub near to the ground, son has a Scottish cup final there tomorrow & I’ll have a couple of hours to kill before kick off. Cheers in advance. 

Old Brewery probably your best bet, pubs in town are all about a 10 min walk to the ground

With under 2 weeks until pre season I wonder if we will sign anyone else before then. Hopefully we can get a goalkeeper sorted sooner rather than later.  Was hoping we might have had a chance at keeping PJ Morrison but he has just signed for Falkirk 

1 hour ago, liammcintosh01 said:

With under 2 weeks until pre season I wonder if we will sign anyone else before then. Hopefully we can get a goalkeeper sorted sooner rather than later.  Was hoping we might have had a chance at keeping PJ Morrison but he has just signed for Falkirk 

Daily Record reporting (so perhaps not entirely reliable) that George Stanger has signed. I wouldn't have thought another CB was an immediate priority but he seemed to show some promise at Dumbarton, albeit with a mistake or two, and would hopefully improve with a manager who has a good reputation with young players, and proven and experienced defenders around him. 

I'm sure there will be further additions before pre-season. 

George Stanger was a funny one for us. We started playing him at right-back, where he looked bang average and nowhere near as good as Carlo Pignatiello. He was a bit awkward, he wasn't great on the ball and he didn't really look anything other than mediocre.

We then decided to slot him in at centre-half, and suddenly he looked like a very, very good player. He's absolutely huge, he's good in the air, he's a good tackler and - above any other factor - he's good on the ball. In our 3-2 defeat against Airdrie towards the end of last season I thought he was the best player on the park, and he looked so comfortable striding out of defence and playing a defence splitting through-ball (for Conner Duthie to then launch into the stand).

He had a shocker in the playoff semi-final, and he's still a young player with very little experience. But I would say that he's definitely 'got something about him'. Brian Rice will know him from his Hamilton days and, with the style of football I think Alloa will be looking to play and Andy Graham as a mentor, I think he could be polished into a bit of a diamond.

All that being said almost every single player we tried at centre-half last year was someone between below average and dreadful. So it probably wouldn't be hard for a semi-competent player to stand out.

Loons fans said something similar about him at RB, so hopefully Brian Rice knows he's signed a centre-half with a fair bit of promise, and not a bang average lower half of the league full-back.

Spoiler

He's a lovely big guy too; well spoken, handsome and polite. The sort of guy you'd be happy to see your daughter bring home. I think he lives/is from Dunblane as well, so the Recs is nice and local for him.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think Alloa will be looking to play and Andy Graham as a mentor,

My thoughts too , Andy can't go on forever and see the sense in signing a defender for the  future 

Trouten to East Fife. If fit he should bang a few goals in for them. Quality player for us and although getting on hope he gets back to what we all know he can do. Obviously barring the cup in a few weeks. 

Edited by McCulloch No.5

5 friendlies lined up !

21 June 2022     Alloa Athletic 7:30 pm Partick Thistle

25 June 2022   Cumbernauld Colts 3:00 pm Alloa Athletic

28 June 2022   Alloa Athletic 7:30 pm Stirling Albion-

2 July 2022   Alloa Athletic 2:00 pm Forfar Athletic-

5 July 2022   Alloa Athletic 7:30 pm Queen’s Park