The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 16/05/2022 at 14:56, LeodhasXD said:

Good surprises. Will be making some content this week.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't get covid. It's not good for you.

Christ, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one of your Christmas presents.

Hope you're feeling better.

Really good news with those players re-signing and a real vote of confidence in Brian Rice. That bodes well. Particularly happy to see Taggart on that list after the rumours earlier in the month. Best part-time RB in Scotland for me and I couldn't see how we'd replace him like for like. But so many really good players secured there and very positive news for the club. I like Boyd too and would be happy if we got him tied up again also. 

Hopefully the manager can get 4 or 5 strong signings in but an excellent nucleus to build upon. 

Hope you're on the mend Leodhas. Can you confirm that we won't be streaming through the season ticket from next season? 

Certainly a couple that I wouldn’t have bothered resigning but can’t really complain having a solid squad with some depth at this point. 

Hopefully he gets Boyd in as well. 

Keeper, left back and a goal scorer  must be top priorities now. 

As usual the loan signings will play a big part in any success we may have 

we will struggle to get in a 17 goal a season player like henderson

As said earlier good nucleus of a squad 

what a tough league this is now , Dunfermline  QOTS , Airdrie and a possibly better Falkirk favourites for the top 4  

Kelty will be a hard game but not convinced ....yet 

but we can do allright and look forward to a new season under Rice .

Edited by Vegetableman

On 25/04/2022 at 12:19, printer said:

Agree we should be moving quickly to tie up the manager, if he's happy to stay, and the players he wants to keep. Personally I'd keep the following:

No brainer

• Taggs
  • Andy G
  • Durnan
  • Howie
  • Robbo
  • Scougs
  • Wee Kev
  • Trouts (assuming his fitness issued are resolved, which may be a big assumption given the last year)

Good enough at least for the squad

• Church
  • King
  • Sammon
  • O'Donnell
  • Boyd

Rest of the contracted players can go, apart from Burt.

Re the loan players, not sure what all their situations are apart from Henderson, who I believe has another year at the Jambos, but if available Sena and McIver would be worth offers.

It would be great if we could get Morrison back on loan, otherwise a good goalie is a priority. As are a couple of quality strikers - always key, but always the hardest to get.

Seems like Chipper reads P&B. 😜

Excellent work so far to get these players signed up. A good nucleus. 

Edited by printer

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

Really good news with those players re-signing and a real vote of confidence in Brian Rice. That bodes well. Particularly happy to see Taggart on that list after the rumours earlier in the month. Best part-time RB in Scotland for me and I couldn't see how we'd replace him like for like. But so many really good players secured there and very positive news for the club. I like Boyd too and would be happy if we got him tied up again also. 

Hopefully the manager can get 4 or 5 strong signings in but an excellent nucleus to build upon. 

Hope you're on the mend Leodhas. Can you confirm that we won't be streaming through the season ticket from next season? 

Thanks. I'm at the stage of my lungs trying to escape my chest which is a big improvement.

I don't think it will be in the season ticket. It's not going to be available in the UK and Ireland from the statements from Doncaster but I've yet to see the updated rulebook. 

But on the positive side pricing logic was to counter folk just not turning up and staying in to watch. Since turning up might be your only option it might end up being cheaper. Although if you get a reputable VPN there's very little I can do to prove you're using it to watch the stream where you're not meant to.

14 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Thanks. I'm at the stage of my lungs trying to escape my chest which is a big improvement.

I don't think it will be in the season ticket. It's not going to be available in the UK and Ireland from the statements from Doncaster but I've yet to see the updated rulebook. 

But on the positive side pricing logic was to counter folk just not turning up and staying in to watch. Since turning up might be your only option it might end up being cheaper. Although if you get a reputable VPN there's very little I can do to prove you're using it to watch the stream where you're not meant to.

Sorry to hear that. Had a blast of it myself a few weeks back and certainly not pleasant. 

I know the situation with streaming is way above the club but from the point of view of long distance fans it's really disappointing. Travelling to the Recs basically means my Saturday is gone and I can't do it regularly. With live streams I've hardly missed a game the last two years but it was never a choice between watching online or travelling, rather it was an opportunity to see games I'd otherwise have missed. I streamed most of the away games too. 

Clubs are going to miss out on income next season when this stops. I won't be able to attend any more games than before Covid, I just won't be paying to watch them online. Unfortunate too when clubs like Alloa had worked hard to provide a really slick service. We don't have a huge support and it's a shame when we have fans who can't attend regularly but who would pay to watch online. 

Ross MacIver makes his Alloa stay permanent. Happy with that. Took him a while to find his feet, probably due to lack of game time, but showed enough over the piece. That final day was superb, kicking on from that would be great. 

Edited by KierenAAFC

Pleased with that signing. He'll give us competition/cover for Sammon at least and we have already seen they can play together, even as part of a front three.

It will be interesting to see if Ross kicks on with more game time. Probably needs to add more goals to his game and that's something the current squad still lacks, an out and out goalscorer. I'm sure the manager is looking at a few options for that, although it may be we have to wait until loans are available.

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That third top, wtf is that 

Chairman likes the new Rangers third I hear. https://www.sportsdirect.com/castore-rangers-third-shirt-2022-2023-377519#colcode=37751912

League Cup: Should be East Fife and Ross County at Home - Buckie Thistle and Dunfermline Away if as assumed we follow the script from last year.

Not looking forward to a Tuesday night away to Buckie.

20 hours ago, Waspie said:

Sorry to hear that. Had a blast of it myself a few weeks back and certainly not pleasant. 

I know the situation with streaming is way above the club but from the point of view of long distance fans it's really disappointing. Travelling to the Recs basically means my Saturday is gone and I can't do it regularly. With live streams I've hardly missed a game the last two years but it was never a choice between watching online or travelling, rather it was an opportunity to see games I'd otherwise have missed. I streamed most of the away games too. 

Clubs are going to miss out on income next season when this stops. I won't be able to attend any more games than before Covid, I just won't be paying to watch them online. Unfortunate too when clubs like Alloa had worked hard to provide a really slick service. We don't have a huge support and it's a shame when we have fans who can't attend regularly but who would pay to watch online. 

It would be a shame if it was downsized as the stream coverage is a real success story. I was a bit cynical about it, due to potentially taking spectators away from the stadium but that didn't really materialise. Despite the screeds of moans usually from opposition fans about the price, I agreed with the stance to price match to general admission to the ground.

The coverage allowed far reaching supporters like Waspie and other exiled supporters the opportunity to see every game. Pretty frequently I spoke to guys from England and Ireland about the games in the evening and it was a bonus that they had seen the full 90 mins and not relying on my account of the match 🙂. It also meant a chance to jump on the stream for a couple of hours on the phone if  circumstances dictated you were out of town for the weekend.

And as stated, the all round package stood up against anyone's in terms of quality and also made the club money overall.

7 hours ago, printer said:

Pleased with that signing. He'll give us competition/cover for Sammon at least and we have already seen they can play together, even as part of a front three.

It will be interesting to see if Ross kicks on with more game time. Probably needs to add more goals to his game and that's something the current squad still lacks, an out and out goalscorer. I'm sure the manager is looking at a few options for that, although it may be we have to wait until loans are available.

It's a strong signing, MacIver had to bide his time a bit but when he got a run in the team the goals were starting to come more regularly. Hopefully this can continue.

I hold judgement on the 3rd strip until I see the full kit, but home kit is nice.