Jump to content

The Alloa Athletic Thread


Recommended Posts

IF it is Brian Rice it's a bit underwhelming BUT when you're third bottom of the third tier in Scottish football you're not the most "attractive" employer.

 

Edited by vespa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need a little perspective here. We are a team struggling in league 1 and we may be employing a manager who was managing in the premier league just last year with okay results, on a limited budget and who also likes to promote youth where possible.
If he does get the job, let's give him full backing. Things can only get better, maybe not immediately, but in the longer term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

He's right though. Rice has two years as a gaffer under his belt and got his team relegated. He's hardly experienced. He's old. 

He kept Hamilton up against the odds for two seasons  prior to that , but as has been said before better than our last incumbent

and better than some of the option touted  around  IMO .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He's right though. Rice has two years as a gaffer under his belt and got his team relegated. He's hardly experienced. He's old. 

I'm well aware of Brian Rice's managerial experience and record.

My point re experience was that we shouldn't be bringing in a complete managerial novice given our situation ( Mulraney has done that, very successfully, three times in recent history - both Hartley and Goodwin were excellent for us, but both took some time, unsurprisingly, to find their feet).

I think that's a valid point and Rice does have enough experience to add something quickly. Whether, if he is indeed appointed, he actually does a good job, well that remains to be seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

I think we need a little perspective here. We are a team struggling in league 1 and we may be employing a manager who was managing in the premier league just last year with okay results, on a limited budget and who also likes to promote youth where possible.
If he does get the job, let's give him full backing. Things can only get better, maybe not immediately, but in the longer term.

I'd pretty much go with this. In principle I'm generally not keen on managers who have been knocking around for years because it normally means they aren't very good. If we had come up with Brian Rice at other times when we had vacancies over the past few years I'd have been underwhelmed, and I would still be somewhat underwhelmed this time when I was hoping for Andy Graham. But we're in a mess here and Rice has plenty of experience and seems to be well liked. 

Most importantly, he isn't Barry Ferguson. That will do for me at the moment. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Ah I've just had a phone call from the new man. Ian Black is really enthusiastic about the job.

Was literally about to suggest you announce Ian Black on Twitter for the lolz  :lol:

Rice isn't an immediately obvious failure, so that's an improvement. Hopefully he can keep us up and do some good business during the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Waspie said:

 

Most importantly, he isn't Barry Ferguson. That will do for me at the moment

Sums things up pretty well, I'd say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Brian Rice

I should have bet that! Totally fine with this. He is well respected, has good experience and when you read up on him every club and coach he has worked with speak highly. Apparently he lives locally which will be a massive benefit in getting the fans back on board.

More interestingly he has a history of promoting youth which can only be good for our younger squad members who have been loaned or frozen out. 

I'd rather have seen Connolly go and Graham taken under his wing as well but you can't have everything! The super agent remains albeit his last assignment was a glorious failure.🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brian Rice sounds like a very decent appointment to me. Bearing in mind who we are and where we are, we weren’t exactly going to lure Juergen Klopp away from Liverpool. Rice to me would be a massively significant improvement from Baz, so let’s meet this with some positivity and hope. The only way is up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Graham taken under his wing

I think  Andy wants to continue playing at least till the end of the season

And i would prefer him on the park too till then .

It will be interesting to see (if he is taking over ) Mr Rice possibly change things 

and how the team respond now, surely cannot be any worse but again i say we 

will need to be patient for a while ,

We also need competition for the keepers place , give Hutton something to think about 🙄

Edited by Vegetableman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Generation4 said:

Brian Rice sounds like a very decent appointment to me. Bearing in mind who we are and where we are, we weren’t exactly going to lure Juergen Klopp away from Liverpool. Rice to me would be a massively significant improvement from Baz, so let’s meet this with some positivity and hope. The only way is up.

Pilau rice would be an improvement 🤭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

Pilau rice would be an improvement 🤭

The man isn't even in the job and you are already criticising , i thought you would be happy (nay laughing ) now ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In September Brian Rice played a flat back 4. By November these 4 defenders were our midfield with 3 centre halfs behind them. And he wondered why we didnt create many chances.

He also gave a 2 year extension to David Moyo !

He is a dreadful manager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

In September Brian Rice played a flat back 4. By November these 4 defenders were our midfield with 3 centre halfs behind them. And he wondered why we didnt create many chances.

He also gave a 2 year extension to David Moyo !

He is a dreadful manager.

We’ve just suffered 6 months of Barry, it won’t take much to better him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

In September Brian Rice played a flat back 4. By November these 4 defenders were our midfield with 3 centre halfs behind them. And he wondered why we didnt create many chances.

He also gave a 2 year extension to David Moyo !

He is a dreadful manager.

If that means Mendy no longer plays at centre half then he gets my vote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...