The Alloa Athletic Thread

Barry ferguson is everything a manager shouldn't be, he's tactically inept which i find remarkable given the managers  he's worked under, Also his body language is terrible, his encouragement towards the players is non existant, you just have to look at the way he reacts to a player being subbed, no handshake, no fist pump, no pat on the back, might sound a bit trivial but these little things make a difference imo. 

I'll also give you a personal example, My son plays for under 11s young wasps and earlier in the season when the Airdrie game was cancelled my sons team just finished their game at the recs and Barry and Bob had the players in for training and were setting up drills, I went over to Barry and asked if they wouldn't mind a picture with the boys, he agreed to it but with little enthusiasm. I also expected him to have a few words with the boys but nothing, my own son actually said to me "  Dad he didn't even speak to us", I made the excuse that he was busy and maybe he was but a few words would have been nice.  On to another situation where on Thursday night my son had a training session and Andy Graham came out the Gym and had 5 mins to talk to the boys who were in the pods  and telling them to stick at it and watched their progress and encouraged them, This cast my mind back to the situation with Barry earlier. It told me alot about Barry and convinced me even more about the type of guy Andy Graham is, He's a manager in the making 

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't try and depress me. I'll have to change the 404 page if we go down. 

As much as today was rough again, there should still be enough quality in the team to avoid the drop. Assuming another few additions in January too. 

You're either fishing for a bite 🎏 or on the dope mate🤣🤣

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

Don't try and depress me. I'll have to change the 404 page if we go down. 

As much as today was rough again, there should still be enough quality in the team to avoid the drop. Assuming another few additions in January too. 

There is more than enough quality in the squad (despite some of the signings made) to not be sitting where we are right now, but that’s not making any difference. 

Absolutely criminal that we are sitting here discussing hoping to avoid going down. 

It’s horrible hoping for your team to get beat for that skud of a manager to get his books. Even mentioning battling the drop just shows how far we have fallen. I don’t know about others but if we had kept PG and gave him half the money that Mr Blobby has been given, I don’t think we would be in the position that we are the now.

25 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

There is more than enough quality in the squad (despite some of the signings made) to not be sitting where we are right now, but that’s not making any difference. 

Absolutely criminal that we are sitting here discussing hoping to avoid going down. 

Totally agree. To have inherited a strong nucleus of really good part-time players and be so well backed to add to it and only get 20 points from the first half of the season is extremely poor. But for individual class from Henderson we'd be in an even more precarious situation. 

I was astonished by the appointment but wanted to give the management team a chance. Sadly I lost faith in them far earlier than I'd have expected. We might well win games here and there but I don't see any hope for the club as long as they're in charge. 

Edited by Waspie

3 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

I have never been this demoralised following alloa, I don't see anyway BF could turn this round just get him out the door!

If you are younger you've only had the good times. Prepare for a few years of hardship, us old guys know what they are like.☹

2 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

If you are younger you've only had the good times. Prepare for a few years of hardship, us old guys know what they are like.☹

Seen everything since the 99 challenge Cup final seen a good few lows but I don't even think I was this demoralised when Maitland got us relegated to the 3rd division. 

21 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

You know things are bad when PG's name is getting mentioned

would do a better job most likely but that's not saying much .

Before Covid reared it's ugly head, Peter Grant had us playing better football and better points wise than Goodwin. He wasn't a Hartley or Ross, but considering the circumstances he faced both seasons he was better than he got credit for. 

As for the current circus, fire the clowns.

The next run of fixtures

Airdrie away 

Falkirk home 

Montrose away

Queens park home 

Clyde away 

Bottom of the table by the end of the transfer window closing in January.  I really couldn't give a f**k about the Scottish cup now . We are in a relegation battle and embarrassment in the cup will compound matters worse in front of the cameras. 

Despite some of the rumblings on here , MM has run Alloa well and we have have had a somewhat golden period particularly in the last 10 years . We have continually punched above our weight especially with the poor crowds we get despite us often really playing well . We have to contend with the Rangers and old firm obsessed public within our area . 

We have never at any time in recent years been a sacking club and this at times has been to our detriment. Maitland was given far too long in 2011 and given to the end of the season . We had a squad well good enough to stay up that season and we paid the price. Furthermore if Danny Lennon was relieved of his duties a month before he was I am sure that Jack Ross would have kept us up in the championship in 2016 . Mike has been decent with managers in the past . 

In 2017 , Jim Goodwin was struggling in October and famously was hammered at the recs 2-5 by Albion Rovers and he was on the brink then . Crucially though, the noises coming from the dressing room was one of unity with the players firmly supporting the manager. The following week we went behind against East Fife and turned it around following a cute tactical switch moving Gary Flemming into a holding midfield role and the rest was history. We ran out winners that day 4-1 and were promoted via the play offs . Andy Graham had actually suggested this move and Goodwin took his advice on board and went with it. 

The warning signs are here guys and we are hearing rumblings about fights , great players dropping off the radar , poor form and crucially, crucially, 5 wins in 18 fixtures.  Don't like to see guys losing their jobs but this is simply not working . I was excited about a former terrific Scotland international class former player being our manager, a move similar to Paul Hartley but this simply hasn't worked and I don't see any green shoots , players coming out and backing him or indeed any light at the end of the tunnel.  

We a squad bigger than anything we have had since perhaps 1999 and we ran into financial difficulty at the end of the Christie era . 

We are heading to division 2 and don't expect the cakewalk we had previously. 

It's important to give managers time, and the board seem to share that view. That's why I don't think we'll be seeing any changes in the near future.

I wasn't overjoyed when Jim Goodwin got the job; we'll all remember his terrible disciplinary record as a player, and it hadn't been long since he got himself sent off for swinging an elbow like a lunatic at a Stenny player until he finally managed to connect with him. He didn't have a great start with us, but he obviously took the job seriously and wanted to get better at it, and he did. I don't think he'll end up back down at this level as a result.

Barry Ferguson remains a mystery appointment. Judging by the comments from the Clyde fans, he knows best and isn't going to change for anyone, which fits with his image. He certainly doesn't seem to be one to get the best out of the players available, judging by our expanding squad and the constant cycling of players at Clyde. It will be interesting to see if there's an attempt to turn over the squad in January. I suppose there's a chance he might find some success when he finally gets the The Rangers job and has access to those kinds of resources, but it's hard to see how he's suited to this level at all.

On 18/12/2021 at 21:44, Sixtyten said:

We know Mulraney is loath to sacking managers: to my mind he's only ever fired Allan Maitland

Every journey starts with a single step.

Give someone a chance when the transfer window opens.

Will we still be charging £18 next season I wonder?

Edited by laughing gravie

Jim Goodwin mY have had a sticky start, but he was honest enough with players and supporters alike.

Barry on the other hand appears clueless and only responsible to himself.

You can accept a manager who may not be what you were expecting, but to dismantle a decent footballing team into a team that looks like it never played together half way into the season takes some swallowing.

On 19/12/2021 at 12:32, Oweny said:

I was excited about a former terrific Scotland international class former player being our manager

He was never nowhere near being a Dalglish, McCoist, Bremner, MacQueen, Strachan, Law, MacNeil, Jordan etc., who were also all brilliant Scotland players. He wouldn’t make it into the top 100.

People remember his shit attitude about playing for his country and sticking his finger up at the camera.

Jaikie.