The Alloa Athletic Thread

Great result yesterday. Once we weathered the 15min storm at the start (where we could easily have been 2 or 3 down) we grew onto the game. For a change, we got a goal ahead, and didnt look like losing the game after that.
I do think we still need a couple of players, left back and someone up front to create. There were many positives, Niang excelled in a more forward role in midfield and Sammon had a good game up front.

7 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

Just wondering if you guys are having a hooligan problem currently?

We had issues yesterday with a group of teenage neds who were being led by a middle aged fat guy. Causing trouble in the Montrose home end and scrapping in the town.

We have a Idiot elements causing a bit of trouble.  Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIFNone of them can fight sleep....

On 19/09/2021 at 17:27, OldCrabbitWasp said:

Great result yesterday. Once we weathered the 15min storm at the start (where we could easily have been 2 or 3 down) we grew onto the game. For a change, we got a goal ahead, and didnt look like losing the game after that.
I do think we still need a couple of players, left back and someone up front to create. There were many positives, Niang excelled in a more forward role in midfield and Sammon had a good game up front.

Have a perfectly capable left back in Williamson but who knows what’s going on with that

Well that wasn't a great look for the club at all. On both sides things went far to far. Me and a couple of others stood and waited and wanted to get a calm chat with Barry. He came out 10 minutes after the game and stood for easily 30 minutes and was in no rush to get away. He agreed he shouldn't have come running over and should have approached the situation in a better way but he wears his heart on his sleeve and it was a build up of some ridiculous shouts the past few weeks to his players that caused him to approach the fans, again said he wished he wish he approached it differently. He says that him and the team feel that an element of the support has been so negative and can't wait to jump on the players back said that other managers have commented how supportive and encouraging our supporters are but he hasn't really felt that the first few months together. He wants everyone to be singing off the same hymn sheet and going in the same direction. Thinks the negative attitude has affected players and he is determined to change that. He also said we are in and around challenging for the league and he thinks the team will only get better the more they play together as they have had a good turnaround of players In the summer. He said he takes responsibility for the changes but he lives and dies by his decisions but the support need to give it time and make their judgements in the later part of the season as he's confident the club will be up there at the business end of the season. I brought up the lack of communication with no pre or post match interviews and that the supporters feel like he doesn't feel like he needs to communicate with us and he said this is absolutely not the case and he is very surprised the club have never asked him to do this and he is going to insist to the club that this changes( I have volunteered myself to do this as @LeodhasXD is far to busy and doesn't have the time). The last thing he said to me was he absolutely expects shouts and a bit of stick If he gets things wrong but his players will always give 100% for the club so he hopes the fans can give them 100% backing.

49 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

Well that wasn't a great look for the club at all. On both sides things went far to far. Me and a couple of others stood and waited and wanted to get a calm chat with Barry. He came out 10 minutes after the game and stood for easily 30 minutes and was in no rush to get away. He agreed he shouldn't have come running over and should have approached the situation in a better way but he wears his heart on his sleeve and it was a build up of some ridiculous shouts the past few weeks to his players that caused him to approach the fans, again said he wished he wish he approached it differently. He says that him and the team feel that an element of the support has been so negative and can't wait to jump on the players back said that other managers have commented how supportive and encouraging our supporters are but he hasn't really felt that the first few months together. He wants everyone to be singing off the same hymn sheet and going in the same direction. Thinks the negative attitude has affected players and he is determined to change that. He also said we are in and around challenging for the league and he thinks the team will only get better the more they play together as they have had a good turnaround of players In the summer. He said he takes responsibility for the changes but he lives and dies by his decisions but the support need to give it time and make their judgements in the later part of the season as he's confident the club will be up there at the business end of the season. I brought up the lack of communication with no pre or post match interviews and that the supporters feel like he doesn't feel like he needs to communicate with us and he said this is absolutely not the case and he is very surprised the club have never asked him to do this and he is going to insist to the club that this changes( I have volunteered myself to do this as @LeodhasXD is far to busy and doesn't have the time). The last thing he said to me was he absolutely expects shouts and a bit of stick If he gets things wrong but his players will always give 100% for the club so he hopes the fans can give them 100% backing.

He sounds like he's swallowed the Daily Record book of football clichés.

Whilst I didn't think it was too bad today some of the shouts at games are absolutely ridiculous and have always been that way. Never sure if it's only Alloa fans that are as bad as that or if it's similar at every team in the lower leages where you hear everything!

16 minutes ago, pencils said:

Whilst I didn't think it was too bad today some of the shouts at games are absolutely ridiculous and have always been that way. Never sure if it's only Alloa fans that are as bad as that or if it's similar at every team in the lower leages where you hear everything!

Maybe Barry isn't used to inappropriate language or views being expressed by fans.

7 minutes ago, JustDom said:

How's Niang been getting on for you lot?

Absolutely awful, can’t do anything right. 

Think it’s best for everyone if you just rip up his contract and we could give him one so that he still has a club at least…

He’s been absolutely terrific - gets stuck in defensively, can pick a pass and not afraid to get forward as well. Will pick up a good few booking but he’s been our best player since he arrived. Ideal type of player for this league. 

20 minutes ago, printer said:

Maybe Barry isn't used to inappropriate language or views being expressed by fans.

Indeed, all those times over the years when he waded in pitch side to ask fans to stop singing sectarian songs, clearly he felt it would be double standards as such not to address a couple of Alloa fans shouting nasty things about the players. 

I'm sure he regrets it. He has been well backed and has a good squad at his disposal. All that matters is finding a way to get the best out of that squad. If he does that there won't be any complaints. 

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Indeed, all those times over the years when he waded in pitch side to ask fans to stop singing sectarian songs, clearly he felt it would be double standards as such not to address a couple of Alloa fans shouting nasty things about the players. 

I'm sure he regrets it. He has been well backed and has a good squad at his disposal. All that matters is finding a way to get the best out of that squad. If he does that there won't be any complaints. 

Sure it wasn’t his pal in the dugout that was doing the singing?!

I think that over the piece so far it's been pretty disturbing how much Barry Ferguson has really got under the skin of some Alloa fans and some of the shouts at previous games have been well over the top. And I didn't go to Cowden game where it was said to be the worst.

However, today I didn't hear anything at all (happy to be corrected if wrong) so the reaction was quite bizarre. Certainly not the way you expect a manager of a football club to behave. There's obviously been a build up there but I agree had he come over and engaged in a conversation the supporters would have respected him.

Only a small amount of fans interacted back with him. Ironically most (myself included) stayed back to applaud the team for a pretty decent performance. I think most fans were pretty shocked by the whole thing.

No problem with a bit of passion on display, but the approach of the manager all wrong and probably regrets it now.

2 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

I actually think his pal may be the brains of the operation. 🤣

I did actually notice that Malcolm was trying to get Ferguson away in to the changing room today. 

When Bob Malcolm is the face of sensible reasoning we have officially entered an alternative reality. 

He’s got previous. Had fall outs with the Clyde fans. Strangely though it didn’t bother me much as he was clearly passionate and trying his best and if you give someone some abuse, don’t throw your hands up if he gives a bit back. Just wasn’t good enough though. His comments are exactly the same as we heard at Clyde. In the end, nearly took us onto the Lowland League.