The Alloa Athletic Thread

Sounds promising. I thought Howie put in a steady performance at CM at the weekend but it seems that he is naturally a CB and was doing well there previously in the League Cup. With Durnan looking good at the weekend we have the potential there of an excellent back three of Howie, Graham and Durnan. Mendy might well come on with games but between the Peterhead highlights and watching him on Saturday his positioning was very erratic. Andy Graham seemed to be talking him through it. Howie, Graham and Durnan across the back with Niang anchoring the midfield with Robbo or King sounds potentially strong. Or maybe the manager will change the formation entirely 😁

Anyway, welcome Mouhamed. 

3 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

I like this signing. However, already preparing for getting far too attached and Patrick Thistle taking him back to Firhill early in January.

The way I figure it is if they're doing well he won't be back. If they need an inevitable January overhaul like most years then he will be.

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

Sounds promising. I thought Howie put in a steady performance at CM at the weekend but it seems that he is naturally a CB and was doing well there previously in the League Cup. With Durnan looking good at the weekend we have the potential there of an excellent back three of Howie, Graham and Durnan. Mendy might well come on with games but between the Peterhead highlights and watching him on Saturday his positioning was very erratic. Andy Graham seemed to be talking him through it. Howie, Graham and Durnan across the back with Niang anchoring the midfield with Robbo or King sounds potentially strong. Or maybe the manager will change the formation entirely 😁

Anyway, welcome Mouhamed. 

Fair shout and agree in the main however🤞he has a striker in mind before we play some of the big punchers. 

This has made my day. Some wee guy in Japan has been looking at Kyogo Furuhashi and seen the SPFL team of the week.

He's then looked up Steven Boyd who was in that TOTW and sponsored his shirt.

image.thumb.png.8632f96aa05dffada0d9ff29865256a2.png

Edited by LeodhasXD

21 hours ago, Waspie said:

Mendy might well come on with games but between the Peterhead highlights and watching him on Saturday his positioning was very erratic. Andy Graham seemed to be talking him through it.

You have properly characterized Mendy in a nutshell. Immense physical talent and presence, fantastic motor, can absolutely dominate a match…but…positionally is all too often caught out. With a solid old hand to partner with, someone that can channel his focus, he can easily be Championship plus level. However, he is also prone to gaffs and miss positioning that will drive you to drink.

That being said, he’s likely a pretty solid reserve CB, especially at League One level, once he adapts a bit better to your team and tactics. He’s also an entirely genuine person who will be a fan favorite too.

12 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

This has made my day. Some wee guy in Japan has been looking at Kyogo Furuhashi and seen the SPFL team of the week.

He's then looked up Steven Boyd who was in that TOTW and sponsored his shirt.

image.thumb.png.8632f96aa05dffada0d9ff29865256a2.png

Surely a key opportunity here for the club to really establish itself (and Scottish football) on the international stage? Looking forward to seeing Barry’s Boys on the Japanese lower leagues pre-season tour next year!

385DE1E2-6475-4DF7-B090-999F802C19CB.jpeg

Well last week was obviously a blip. We have now played most in the bottom half of the league and lost 2. Not great reading. Still only 3 points off a play off place.🤣

The team have no confidence and don't look like they are playing for the manager. Today 8 newbies in the starting 11, that says it all. It didn't need a huge overhaul however he has done that and made us worse. I ain't going to anymore away games even if they are relatively local. I'll save my pennies for every 2 weeks, the pain will be more bearable. Still hope he turns us around as I love my club but increasingly fearing the worst. 

Meanwhile Nicky Jamieson is the apparent king of Ochilview according to a Stenny fan. 🙏🙏

1 hour ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Well last week was obviously a blip. We have now played most in the bottom half of the league and lost 2. Not great reading. Still only 3 points off a play off place.🤣

The team have no confidence and don't look like they are playing for the manager. Today 8 newbies in the starting 11, that says it all. It didn't need a huge overhaul however he has done that and made us worse. I ain't going to anymore away games even if they are relatively local. I'll save my pennies for every 2 weeks, the pain will be more bearable. Still hope he turns us around as I love my club but increasingly fearing the worst. 

Meanwhile Nicky Jamieson is the apparent king of Ochilview according to a Stenny fan. 🙏🙏

Last week wasn't really a blip, the performance really wasn't great and if East Fife had taken one of those chances after their first goal they would have won. Those two quick goals we scored against the run of play turned the game. 

I'd hoped we could build on that but today was really poor. Hard to work out what BF was trying on the left flank in the absence of Church but it didn't work and the shape of the team was all over the place until the changes. 

To try and take some positives the changes did make a difference, albeit they were a long time coming. It was encouraging that he hooked Mendy and King. Even at LB Robbo improved the team, O' Donnell was busy and Niang showed signs that he could be a good addition. Hopefully the manager can build on those positives more effectively than he managed on the good fortune of last week. Needs to start showing he is making progress as 3 points from 9 against 3 of the weaker sides, and with very mixed performances, is rather concerning. 

Edited by Waspie

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

Needs to start showing he is making progress as 3 points from 9 against 3 of the weaker sides, and with very mixed performances, is rather concerning. 

I admittedly have been drowning my sorrows so forgive me if this is a tad negative but we ain't even making the play offs. This now, in my book, has disaster written all over it. I pray he proves me wrong. Hopefully he doesn't get rid of Andy and Mr M gives him the nod.

Come on agent Connolly start earning yer cash and let him know the score from the inside!🕵‍♂️