The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Scott Taggart who played RB at Starks was unavailable. I wasn't there but it would appear Howie was moved from CB to RB and Mendy into the middle next to Graham. The other CB we have, Durnan, hasn't played yet due to injury. 

Going by the highlights Mendy appeared to lose his man for both Peterhead goals, but can't be too harsh on a new signing thrown straight into the team. I would say he is 4th choice CB but then again, why would you go to France to bring in a 4th choice CB so perhaps Ferguson has other ideas. 

Agree he lost the man for the first, harder to blame for the second. Thanks.

On 01/08/2021 at 21:12, McCulloch No.5 said:

Oaft......god save big Andy Graham.

That's my slight worry- that when Durnan comes back he might come in for Andy- and at the moment that's surely the last thing we need right now. We need some stability and a foundation to build on. Ripping apart the defence even more is likely to see some more shaky performances at the back.

4 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That's my slight worry- that when Durnan comes back he might come in for Andy- and at the moment that's surely the last thing we need right now. We need some stability and a foundation to build on. Ripping apart the defence even more is likely to see some more shaky performances at the back.

Totally agree Father Barry however with all the CB's he has signed the big man would be the obvious victim! Failing him then Taggart but I don't see that but Howie did play RB on Saturday. 

The other option is we might play 3 at the back from  Durnan, Mendy, Graham, Howie and Armstrong with 2 wb's. 

Who knows🤷🏻‍♂️

On 03/08/2021 at 07:34, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Mendy and Durnan would be some pairing…for the opposition.

4 hours ago, Darkness78 said:

I cannot believe Mendy has been given a gig with an SPFL club. At Kelty he got by with someone (Tam Scobie) directing his every move. He can’t think for himself in football terms.

Adding Durban to that mix will result in a shambles

I'm sure BF knows what he is doing.

No one else does

5 hours ago, Darkness78 said:

I cannot believe Mendy has been given a gig with an SPFL club. At Kelty he got by with someone (Tam Scobie) directing his every move. He can’t think for himself in football terms.

Adding Durban to that mix will result in a shambles

To be fair, at this level Andy Graham is one of the best in the business at this, and really helped guys like Jamie McCart, Robbie Deas and Sam Roscoe bring on their games at the club.

So in theory Mendy alongside Graham might be okay as a partnership, given some time.

We haven't seen a single second of Durnan yet, and would be a strange signing to bring in as cover. Hence the fear Andy might be chopped.

Andy is getting on in years obviously and can't go on forever. It's inevitable he'll slow down a bit sooner rather than later. But the time to do that is clearly not now. We only have to hope the manager can see this.

46 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

We only have to hope the manager can see this.

that seems to be the big worry here with most of us , but surely he can see the worth of the retained players from last season ......

..can't  he ?

18 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

that seems to be the big worry here with most of us , but surely he can see the worth of the retained players from last season ......

..can't  he ?

Don't think so, loaned 3 out, dropped the keeper and benched others whilst spending the increased budget on "better quality players" (from lower leagues).

14 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

..can't  he ?

That is indeed the concern for me. As Father Barry said, the pragmatic call at this stage would be relying on the proven and reliable old heads like Andy.

However, Ferguson did inherit a good reliable nucleus. If they were fit, he could have started with Parry in goal, back four of Taggart, Graham, Howie and Williamson. Robertson and Scougall in CM with Cawley, Trouten and O'Donnell behind a striker. Jamieson provided another potentially pretty solid CB option. Ferguson had a very competent base for L1 right there. Add a couple of decent strikers, some pace and creativity for the three behind them, another CM option and another more experienced LB and he was pretty much sorted. It doesn't feel like he has focused entirely on the areas that needed attention, and there is a definite worry that he didn't perhaps appreciate just what he had at his disposal in the first place, or indeed the quality of player required to complement what was there. That does raise the question will he make these pragmatic calls. Time will tell. 

Hopefully he can get a better performance on Saturday and build from there. 

Edited by Waspie

On 04/08/2021 at 20:55, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

To be fair, at this level Andy Graham is one of the best in the business at this, and really helped guys like Jamie McCart, Robbie Deas and Sam Roscoe bring on their games at the club.

So in theory Mendy alongside Graham might be okay as a partnership, given some time.

We haven't seen a single second of Durnan yet, and would be a strange signing to bring in as cover. Hence the fear Andy might be chopped.

Andy is getting on in years obviously and can't go on forever. It's inevitable he'll slow down a bit sooner rather than later. But the time to do that is clearly not now. We only have to hope the manager can see this.

Did Andy not get beaten for pace to allow the cross for both goals? 

2 hours ago, alloagh said:

Did Andy not get beaten for pace to allow the cross for both goals? 

That will always happen if the defence is exposed, which happened regularly last week. We completely lost the midfield battle. Don't think Simon Ferry could believe his luck, he was bossing it all afternoon.

Wee bit of sadness seeing McLean put us to the sword. Watched him regularly in the reserves back in the day and always thought he had something.

41 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That will always happen if the defence is exposed, which happened regularly last week. We completely lost the midfield battle. Don't think Simon Ferry could believe his luck, he was bossing it all afternoon.

Wee bit of sadness seeing McLean put us to the sword. Watched him regularly in the reserves back in the day and always thought he had something.

Mclean was a great player in the reserves, bit of an attitude as I recall the few games I watched. Did Hearts not buy him?  But this is Alloa, seldom do boys from the reserves set up get pushed...this year is a prime example.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Am I correct in seeing that you guys now employ both Alan Trouten and Connor Sammon? If so that is the fish based strike partnership I had been hoping would happen for years

Funnily enough there were some Alloa fans today who thought Sammon's performance was a load of codswallop. But fair play to him, he put them in their plaice with a fine goal. 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Am I correct in seeing that you guys now employ both Alan Trouten and Connor Sammon? If so that is the fish based strike partnership I had been hoping would happen for years

I wonder if Harry Haddock has a grandson who plays football? 

On 04/08/2021 at 22:04, McCulloch No.5 said:

Don't think so, loaned 3 out, dropped the keeper and benched others whilst spending the increased budget on "better quality players" (from lower leagues).

Don’t think that Ferguson is the kind of guy to learn about all the qualities he had available to him in the retained squad.

Saying that, after watching the highlights from today we looked like we were showing more identity in our play style compared to the league cup games, different to that which we’ve shown in the recent past. Maybe Ferguson knew he would be able to implement his style quicker if he didn’t rely on the full core of the past team. Tough to have an accurate view though without seeing the full game.

Stefan Scougall looked fantastic on YouTube, as did Boyd.