Jump to content

The Alloa Athletic Thread


Recommended Posts

Well, that was poor and certainly brings us back to earth after the Livingston game. In the first 15 minutes we probably should have scored 2 or 3, but after that Brechin gradually came into the game and our performance was poor.

The midfield failed to really get a grip of the game and for all the chances that we created our strikers never looked like they were going to finish one - perhaps loading up on front players with poor scoring records isn't such a great idea.

Between that result and the Cowden one it begins to look like Livingston were indeed very badly hit by illness when they played us. We have to hope that these two results are just blips and that there will be more to come once the season starts, but it's not looking great at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dink said:

Well, that was poor and certainly brings us back to earth after the Livingston game. In the first 15 minutes we probably should have scored 2 or 3, but after that Brechin gradually came into the game and our performance was poor.

The midfield failed to really get a grip of the game and for all the chances that we created our strikers never looked like they were going to finish one - perhaps loading up on front players with poor scoring records isn't such a great idea.

Between that result and the Cowden one it begins to look like Livingston were indeed very badly hit by illness when they played us. We have to hope that these two results are just blips and that there will be more to come once the season starts, but it's not looking great at the moment.

We can hope all we want! His signings have been horrendous and it’s beginning to show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, footyfan99 said:

We can hope all we want! His signings have been horrendous and it’s beginning to show.

And we are only 3 games into proper football.

Poor show when we can't score against 2 teams from lower divisions.

Utter utter pish😳😳😳😳😳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

And we are only 3 games into proper football.

Poor show when we can't score against 2 teams from lower divisions.

Utter utter pish😳😳😳😳😳

It's borderline proper football really when we had only played 2 friendles before and we have so many new players. The idea was clearly to use it as build up for the league (albeit wasn't priced accordingly!). 

Think it is important to remember that there have been an awful lot of changes. Jack Ross was able to build a new team which hit the ground running in some considerable style but that was exceptional. There aren't many managers of that quality around. We need to allow Barry Ferguson time. I say that  as someone who was surprised by the managerial appointment and by several of the signings. If I am being honest I'm not hugely optimistic myself but it's way way too early to be passing judgement. Wasn't Goodwin's promotion team almost bottom at the end of the first quarter? And took a wee bit of good fortune too to help spark a winning run. 

If we struggle in the months ahead then fair enough, the manager will take some stick but wee lack of perspective on here of late I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm beyond angry with the way things are going.Appalling signings,with strikers that clearly could'nt score in a brothel.Even now,it's looking like a disaster.Okay it's a much changed team,but jesus,these signings are woeful.If as Waspie says we struggle in the months to come,Ferguson will not only take stick,he'll get us relegated,garbage.This has to rank as one of our worst ever defeats,Beaten by a non league side.I'm waiting for the positive thinkers to post and kid themselves on.As has been posted utter,utter pish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So why only 2 preseason games? The only way to get match fit is to play matches.

You can train until the cows come home, but match fit and being fit are 3 different ball games.

And why has any information coming from the club been as rare as rocking horse shit?

And our glorious new manager hasn't exactly made himself welcoming to the fans, who's only real contact from the club is how to part with our money.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why should i spend my hard earned on this shite.Trust me Alloa are headed in the wrong direction league wise under Ferguson.Alarm bells already sounding.Why would you sign strikers with the scoring records they have,and the rest of the new signings don't deserve a jersey either.It's beginning to look very like a Danny Lennon appointment all over again.I might be looking to do something else on a saturday afternoon,as i'd probably lose it at  matches going by these performances,and it pains me to say that.We need to turn this around right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

So why only 2 preseason games? The only way to get match fit is to play matches.

You can train until the cows come home, but match fit and being fit are 3 different ball games.

And why has any information coming from the club been as rare as rocking horse shit?

And our glorious new manager hasn't exactly made himself welcoming to the fans, who's only real contact from the club is how to part with our money.

 

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thankfully a bit too far and expensive for me. Dink, were there any positives?
Positives? Well, the first 15 minutes or so were excellent and Ben Armour did well to get into good positions to miss his hat trick of chances. Any others? At least it's not league football yet, and hopefully the three at the back system with Taggart almost as a winger and Howie breaking into midfield won't be seen again.

Perhaps we're using these games to try things out and when the league season starts we'll look a lot more cohesive, but I'm not full of confidence.

Given the positives of Saturday's performance I thought it might have been a good idea to stick with the same shape and try to build some momentum. Instead the changes saw O'Donnell moved central where he seemed to struggle as he had a lot less space to work in.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

It's borderline proper football really when we had only played 2 friendles before and we have so many new players. The idea was clearly to use it as build up for the league (albeit wasn't priced accordingly!). 

Think it is important to remember that there have been an awful lot of changes. Jack Ross was able to build a new team which hit the ground running in some considerable style but that was exceptional. There aren't many managers of that quality around. We need to allow Barry Ferguson time. I say that  as someone who was surprised by the managerial appointment and by several of the signings. If I am being honest I'm not hugely optimistic myself but it's way way too early to be passing judgement. Wasn't Goodwin's promotion team almost bottom at the end of the first quarter? And took a wee bit of good fortune too to help spark a winning run. 

If we struggle in the months ahead then fair enough, the manager will take some stick but wee lack of perspective on here of late I think. 

Agree some mental over reactions. Was saying on the bus back it probably took over a year for Goodwin to finally crack it. We have kept a lot of players on but it's still a period of transition and folk need to get into this mindset and have a bit of patience.

Was great to get to an away game, but tonight wasn't good. First 20 minutes we were so much on top I almost cracked out the hamlet cigars and started sipping champagne at the corner flag. Taggart in particular was on fire. But Brechin eventually solved this by doubling up on him.

I hope the admittedly superb Brechin goal would wake us up a bit, but all too often we huffed and puffed in hope rather than expectation.

Didn't think the changes the manager made were correct. He was right to throw Sammon on early second half, but he should have gone with a front 2 rather than a straight swap. Also thought hooking O'Donnell was a weird one, as he looked capable of creating something as we chased the game.

The new faces didn't really shine, but in all honesty very few picked up pass marks of any sort.

It was experimental in nature tonight, and hopefully the manager learned a lot from it

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

Why should i spend my hard earned on this shite.Trust me Alloa are headed in the wrong direction league wise under Ferguson.Alarm bells already sounding.Why would you sign strikers with the scoring records they have,and the rest of the new signings don't deserve a jersey either.It's beginning to look very like a Danny Lennon appointment all over again.I might be looking to do something else on a saturday afternoon,as i'd probably lose it at  matches going by these performances,and it pains me to say that.We need to turn this around right now.

Worth remembering under Danny Lennon we were tearing teams apart pre season. When the league season started it was completely different.

No one knows how this will turn out, and there's certainly work to be done. But after all the success the club has had over the past decade, I'm sure a few bad results in a relatively meaningless tournament format -when a new manager is messing about -isnt taking folk to the limit where they are considering chucking it. That's crazy.

 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah well from what's on here from those that attended👏 it does not sound particularly encouraging. It is early days and I'll wait until a reasonable period of time before lambasting the appointment. Still fear for O 'Donnell, think he is only playing due to Cawley being out.  Keep the faith for now if you can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

It's borderline proper football really when we had only played 2 friendles before and we have so many new players. The idea was clearly to use it as build up for the league (albeit wasn't priced accordingly!). 

Think it is important to remember that there have been an awful lot of changes. Jack Ross was able to build a new team which hit the ground running in some considerable style but that was exceptional. There aren't many managers of that quality around. We need to allow Barry Ferguson time. I say that  as someone who was surprised by the managerial appointment and by several of the signings. If I am being honest I'm not hugely optimistic myself but it's way way too early to be passing judgement. Wasn't Goodwin's promotion team almost bottom at the end of the first quarter? And took a wee bit of good fortune too to help spark a winning run. 

If we struggle in the months ahead then fair enough, the manager will take some stick but wee lack of perspective on here of late I think. 

I've been saying this. We were awful in the first three months of the promotion season. We had only managed wins against the bottom two.

Last night, again similar to the Cowdenbeath game we had enough chances win three games of football. 

AlsoC0003.MP4Multicam.00_32_28_04.Still001.thumb.png.6c8cd159b3ce4764f05b1b5816179a28.png

 

Edited by LeodhasXD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree we had enough chances to comfortably win the game(recurring theme). Hopefully the two guys we have shall find a bit of form soon or we bring in someone to do it. I think we are also needing a left back/winger and someone between midfield and front players. Still early in the season, roll on Saturday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Attempting to bring in some positive vibes after my posts last night were, understandably, not full of the joys. So, a few happy thoughts:

The 4231 that we used against Cowden and (a variant of) against Livingston has the potential to be a useful system for us.

With Scougall, Cawley, Trouten, and O'Donnell (plus Boyd) to choose from for the 3 in behind the striker we've got some very talented attacking options.

Ben Armour's movement and work rate as a lone striker should create space for the 3 behind to play in.

Scott Taggart has started the season well, to the extent that he was our main attacking threat least night.

Andy Graham has generally looked back to his best.

Howie looks like a decent no-nonsense stopper.

It looks like we've got genuine competition for the goalkeeping spot.

So, there you go it's not all doom and gloom (only mostly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...