The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't know why you excuse bigotry. Whether they "genuinely" hate catholics or not is irrelevant, they are shouting/singing sectarian shit. I'd argue if folk sing this stuff and don't mean it is worse than someone who is actually being true to their beliefs. I mean, you're being a sectarian wee fanny for what reason? To impress the actual bigots you hang about with? To piss off catholics even though you don't hate them? You absolutely can judge a persons character off of it, what a baffling thing to say. 

You realise that bigots and racists can appear the nicest people in the world, especially when talking with someone the same as them (white, privileged) but still hold utterly abhorrent views, aye? I'm not saying DC is a bigot, I have no idea either way, but just because he's a nice guy to a lot of people doesn't mean he isn't. 

I completely understand what you’re saying, for me though it’s just not as black and white it’s just my opinion and I won’t change it. It’s a strange fucked up situation but it just seems part and parcel of life growing up in Scotland. I think the vast majority of people have no hatred or prejudice towards others and don’t give two fucks about religion. It’s just the shit that goes with supporting one of the big 2.

Anyway good luck to Alloa and Ferguson.

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Looks like Peter Grant is set to become our next manager. 

Many Pars fans not taken to this very well.  Is this as bad as many seem to think? How does he compare to the likes of Ross, Hartley & Goodwin?

if you thought  AJ was slow on the substitute issue  wait till you see him , i critcised him a lot on here  for favouring his son when to everyone else he wasn't cutting the mustard so to speak , that and the incredibly late sub issue , he never seemed to know his best formation either on his plus side he did have to put up with some key injuries ,  some fans liked him some didn't  .

Been a little brushed over due to hetherington going and the new manager being announced but Taggart signing for next season is really excellent news. Far too good for league 1 and his versatility is invaluable for the squad. Would be a big plus if we can get him in his natural RB position this season, despite how solid he is at centre half.

On 27/05/2021 at 17:19, KierenAAFC said:

In terms of today’s big news, I’m excited but wary of what the season will bring. 

Ferguson spoke a good game today, as you would expect. The guy is a winner and he’ll settle for nothing less. That’s a good thing. The vibe I got was he was so meticulous and a perfectionist in his work, so the standards will be high. Which the players will be used to of course. He’s coming into a strong core which has now been released in the press and there is some real coups that we’ve managed to keep. Scougall being the one that caught my eye. Keep him fit and he’ll stroll this league.

He’s obviously had a disastrous end to Clyde but he was a young manager then and to be fair, was a game away from promotion.  Kelty will have given him more time to learn the trade and let’s hope he can take it into this Alloa job. I’m not going to get into the Bob Malcolm debate but I am glad Paddy Connolly is staying. An integral part of the success and a great person for Ferguson to lean on. Andy Graham too will have a role, as ever, and will be a good presence.

Looks like Mulraney is going to back the manager and give him the funds to go and get the six or seven he wants. No cut in the budget after relegation is always a good sign. I reckon we’ll see a few of his Kelty players follow and if they are Dylan Easton and Nathan Austin, then I’m certainly not complaining!

It’s a big risk appointment, no doubt. It’s bring so much media attention and a lot of people vying for us to fail. If it goes wrong, I reckon it’ll be catastrophically wrong. Man management skills were accused to be bad at Clyde but improved at Kelty. Depends on how the results are going I suppose. However, with the steady core we have, plus Paddy, I don’t think it’ll get to that stage of absolute chaos. I don’t really care if a manager or player is green, blue or whatever, as long as they are fully focused on Alloa. From what I gathered today, Ferguson is all about that. He’s got a job to do of promotion and that’s all that matters.

I wouldn't get too excited if Austin joins. In the game at the glebe he fell over that many times he eventually went off with what looked like a wrist injury. If he can't even dive with any skill I doubt he'll be up to much else.

40 minutes ago, pencils said:

See the thread on Twitter with the players signing back on has been deleted? Wonder why?

Just cause someone complaining the videos would trigger epilepsy.

Removed it whilst I've been down the rabbit hole...

https://trace.umd.edu/peat/

Used this analysis tool - it meets the guidelines for content. It doesn't flash more than once per 2 seconds but I'm not putting them out in the same format, I'll redo the ones I've done. But that takes time.

The guidlines.

image.thumb.png.8b24467c227b2d8951bfcb87dcd92290.png

56 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

See BF in today’s daily ranger, double page spread bigging up his club! Sign of things to come for The Wasps!

It's been a quiet week at Ibrox, he will be back to normal next week.

On 28/05/2021 at 13:12, KierenAAFC said:

No rush for fans to get back in for the Betfred cup group then. What a honking draw.

Livingston, Raith Rovers, Cowdenbeath & Brechin City 

Aye, it's a wee bit of a tour of our rivals from the past decade.

I realise it's impractical, but it would be nice if they could implement some kind of draw where everyone plays the sides they've encountered least frequently in each pot. Anyone care to submit a guess as to what that would look like for us?

Yeah he doesnt grab too many headlines but hes a really solid left back. Very consistent, gives you a 7/10 every week and rarely makes too many glaring mistakes.

Should be a good signing for you, sad to see him leave. Definitely one of our best players of the last couple of seasons.