The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 10/04/2021 at 22:30, BFTD said:

I always feel a bit of relief at dropping back down to the third tier, TBH. We're always (unsurprisingly) struggling to scrape wins together in the Championship, and you end up feeling a bit worn down by the end.

That said, there's nothing to say we wouldn't have a similar season in League One at the moment. Plenty of work to be done before the start of next season.

I remember feeling exactly the same as your first paragraph after you guys relegated us in 2018.

Unfortunately that was only the start. Look at us now. Battling away at the wrong end of a terrible League One - and still struggling to scrape wins together.

That Alloa squad has achieved fantastic things and - dare I say it - must be one of the best in a generation. But I reckon you guys will need a pretty major rebuild over the summer. Going to be a big (and painful) job for whoever is in charge.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I remember feeling exactly the same as your first paragraph after you guys relegated us in 2018.

My feelings were only devastation and complete resentment for the way Aitken approached those play-offs...

Not that I’m still bitter towards him or anything!

Sad to see you go down. Used to have a bit of historic resentment towards Alloa after you pipped us for promotion back in the early 80s, when I was a young lad 😆 but have nothing but respect the way you've held your own at this level for the last three years. The league has been mental this season with very little between any of the teams, sadly that's when tiny errors/weaknesses can make a huge difference, our weakness has been (until today) putting the ball in the net which may yet see us join you.

Always love seeing the "diddy" part-time sides like us, you, Dumbarton etc getting it up the big time charlies in this league. Dick Campbell had some kind words to say about Alloa in his post match interview today.

'Mon the part timers - haste ye back.

Edited by Tattie36

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This has got Mark Kerr written all over it imo.

Don't think so. It was inevitable this would happen. The choice of manager will be really interesting. I think there will be many candidates as it's been a good learning point for many in the past. Few young managers may also be interested. Darren Young, Kevin Harper, Chris Iweluymo, Andy Graham, Steven Pressley??, Jim Weir, the list will be extensive.

7 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

Don't think so. It was inevitable this would happen. The choice of manager will be really interesting. I think there will be many candidates as it's been a good learning point for many in the past. Few young managers may also be interested. Darren Young, Kevin Harper, Chris Iweluymo, Andy Graham, Steven Pressley??, Jim Weir, the list will be extensive.

None of these names fill me with much optimism. 

Agree with what you say about this being inevitable. Feeling has been he would go. Although appreciate the fresh approach idea, slightly disappointed as think Peter did well in some very challenging circumstances. 

Thought he was an extremely passionate man for the club who gave his all. The ideas he was trying to implement were right and we saw glimpses of that.

Unfortunately, this season far too many mistakes and mitigating circumstances have seen us get relegated. However, this isn’t a disaster for Alloa and we have the ability to bounce back.

It will be interesting to see who is now entrusted with this rebuild. It’s a big job ahead.

4 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Alloa fans, what was Grant like as a manger? We could do with one now.

Had a tough gig to be fair. The team in general played nice football at times but too many mistakes and no real threat in front of goal done us. Transfer dealings were also not great but that comes down to finance and most probably part time status. Some team selections also mystified many but he works with the players at training so must have seen something. He's got experience at many clubs,might be what you need in light of the last two you had.

Thought he did a lot of good work in some challenging circumstances. Had a good eye for a player. I don't think he utilised the loan market well enough at all this season though and that was costly, but overall he can be happy with his two seasons. My only real concern about him staying on would have been his knowledge of the lower leagues for the probable rebuild ahead, but to be fair he has made good signings and I would have been happy enough had he stayed on. Wish him all the best. 

No idea who Mike will go for this time but his track record is good. Hopefully he can move fairly quickly to get somebody lined up, important to get that rebuild started early with so many players out of contract. 

There is only one name that should be in the frame for our next manager and thats Andy Graham.Respected by everyone and he knows everyone. Most fans don,t know that it was Andy that got Trouten to the club when Jim had not fancied him and he also identified Innes Cameron before the season started.Next season league 1 could have three full time teams in it and  if not at the very least a strong Cove and Arbroath.Andy would keep who he wants along with our youngsters and i believe he would recruit well.I wish Peter well,he put the pitch back to its full size and always encouraged us to play the way that best suited our players but his team selections were skewed and it cost us.