The Alloa Athletic Thread

I dont think its time to change the manager and I do think we have the players at the club capable of keeping us in the league. The last 2 performances havent been great but picking up 4 points against lets face it form teams in the league (despite their positions in the table) isnt a bad return at all results wise.

I think the clubs undoubtedly suffering with the covid restrictions with no supporters and probably hindering recruitment, but its a level playing field across the board in that respect.

The main concern for me in most recent games is we look a bit fragmented in terms of our setup. The spirit of the players continues to be excellent, and indeed we probably picked up 4 points from 6 in our last 2 games on desire alone. But we always looked really well organised in the past. At times we look a wee bit lost at the moment.

The manager is trying to turn it around by trying new things, and for me theres little doubt that hes tactically astute. And I dont really care about the ranting/raving aspect. Barry Smith was lambasted for some due to being quite the opposite- and the method of watching games currently and the placement of cameras microphones makes this far more noticeable than it usually is. 

On 14/02/2021 at 11:16, Wee wasp said:

Three away games coming though

As much as parry  has been brilliant over the piece I think he's struggled to get back to fitness after injuries. He's still pulling  off good saves but I think a few of the goals he's lost have shown a lack o mobility about him. The goal yesterday was a shortish pass back but I think he was a bit slow in getting out to clear and he almost got caught in 2nd half as well alhough he did keep us in the game with a good 2nd half save.  Don't think he deserves to be dropped but the manager must be thinking  about  something when he's brought this guy up from forest. Or is it just cover with neils past injury problems.

I dont think your observation is wrong. Big Neilly has had noticeably small after effects of his long injury. To pick up an injury like that in your 30s will always leave a mark, with the effect magnified when you're a 6 foot 4 absolute unit. But hes still massive for us, and I think you look at the last 2 games especially where his saves have won us points.

The injury has probably put to rest any ambitions he had of becoming Pep Guardiolas sweeper keeper, but hes still the best part time keeper in the country.

I dont think it was a factor for the goal on Saturday. Just a bad backpass, and an equally bad clearance. A very uncharacteristic gift from two players who have pretty much been absolutely exceptional for Alloa since day 1.

Always liked that picture. It's from about a hundred years ago, isn't it? Certainly ought to make any visiting fans appreciate the gazebo.

Amazing to see how empty the area around the ground was back then. I seem to remember reading that there used to be a train station on the Clackmannan Road, but I've no idea where. Yes yes, near the train track  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Always liked that picture. It's from about a hundred years ago, isn't it? Certainly ought to make any visiting fans appreciate the gazebo.

Amazing to see how empty the area around the ground was back then. I seem to remember reading that there used to be a train station on the Clackmannan Road, but I've no idea where. Yes yes, near the train track  :rolleyes:

Trains might have stopped at Whinhill Pit which was roughly where the second roundabout is on the brow of the hill as you exit Alloa and head towards Clackmannan bypass.

• 2 weeks later...

Really can't believe we still haven't brought more loan players in to give more options in our squad everyone else around us has but we bring in 1. The last few games we've desperately needed fresh legs but grant seems reluctant when it's evident alot of players are running on empty. Think it's Grants time to go now, poor recruitment has really cost us and I can't believe he continues with stevie on the left when we desperately need him in the middle. Too many mistakes getting made game after game. I really fear that when we go down to league 1 that we will really struggle to get back up and end up becoming an East Fife and be in league 1 for years too come.  Big few months ahead.

I love my team and totally understand that covid has caused financial constraints but other teams have managed to bring in players. This season was a great opportunity to raise the bar in our final season placing.

For some reason the January recruitment was a non event. One signing - a goalkeeper from down south who hasnt played a game, pointless loan signing.

Everybody can see we have no pace up front and are crying out for it. For whatever reason no one was brought in.

All season my opinion has been that we look like a boring team trying to keep it tight and nick 1-0 win as we dont have firepower to outscore teams.
The problem is we cant keep a clean sheet and struggle to remember a season where so many individual errors have cost us.

Are these errors due to the small squad, do we have too many players guaranteed a start???

I hope Peter tries to change tactics slightly and try to give it a good go with what's left of the season. Why not??

On 27/02/2021 at 17:30, OldCrabbitWasp said:

I love my team and totally understand that covid has caused financial constraints but other teams have managed to bring in players. This season was a great opportunity to raise the bar in our final season placing.

For some reason the January recruitment was a non event. One signing - a goalkeeper from down south who hasnt played a game, pointless loan signing.

Everybody can see we have no pace up front and are crying out for it. For whatever reason no one was brought in.

All season my opinion has been that we look like a boring team trying to keep it tight and nick 1-0 win as we dont have firepower to outscore teams.
The problem is we cant keep a clean sheet and struggle to remember a season where so many individual errors have cost us.

Are these errors due to the small squad, do we have too many players guaranteed a start???

I hope Peter tries to change tactics slightly and try to give it a good go with what's left of the season. Why not??

This.I said this weeks ago,most people wanted to give Grant time,time is up.We might as well say goodbye to Grant and get someone else in to settle into the club and build for next year.,and that won't be in the Championship.It won't be easy getting promoted,just look at the likes of Partick.I can see us being a League one club for the forseeable,and this is down to two very poor transfer windows,and also an unbalanced squad with players completely out of position.We ask the same players to run themselves into the ground every week as we have absolutely nobody to bring on that will make any difference at all.I also love my team but it's becoming a very difficult watch each week,this is down to Peter Grant .Sorry Peter,it's time to go.

Edited by Alloa 68

Mr Mulraney will give him more time unfortunately  , maybe he will go when it's done and dusted which i fear wont be long 

I am going to say it and i will get slated for it but as much as he has been a great keeper for us Neil parry is not himself anymore either, 

2 goals raith scored were poorly dealt with when the old neil would have .. also a goal the ICT scored was poor also

Is his confidence gone ? i don't know but its sad to see , not just him of course i think the whole team is suffering a lack of belief 

and i think this is down to grant , who knows how the players feel !  .

Next season in League One could be a bit of a b*****d when you look at the teams likely to be involved.

Just, y'know, to cheer everyone up further at this trying time. Right now I'd be satisfied just not to go down the Brechin/Cowdenbeath route TBH.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Next season in League One could be a bit of a b*****d when you look at the teams likely to be involved.

Just, y'know, to cheer everyone up further at this trying time. Right now I'd be satisfied just not to go down the Brechin/Cowdenbeath route TBH.

Depends if we can keep the core of the team, will some want away ? all depends on a lot of factors .

10 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

This.I said this weeks ago,most people wanted to give Grant time,time is up.We might as well say goodbye to Grant and get someone else in to settle into the club and build for next year.,and that won't be in the Championship.It won't be easy getting promoted,just look at the likes of Partick.I can see us being a League one club for the forseeable,and this is down to two very poor transfer windows,and also an unbalanced squad with players completely out of position.We ask the same players to run themselves into the ground every week as we have absolutely nobody to bring on that will make any difference at all.I also love my team but it's becoming a very difficult watch each week,this is down to Peter Grant .Sorry Peter,it's time to go.

So we should just chuck the league, despite being plenty of points to play for, sack Grant and get prepared next season for our stint in League One? 

What would we do between now and the end of the season to prepare for League One?

8 hours ago, whereismillar said:

Mr Mulraney will give him more time unfortunately  , maybe he will go when it's done and dusted which i fear wont be long 

I am going to say it and i will get slated for it but as much as he has been a great keeper for us Neil parry is not himself anymore either, 

2 goals raith scored were poorly dealt with when the old neil would have .. also a goal the ICT scored was poor also

Is his confidence gone ? i don't know but its sad to see , not just him of course i think the whole team is suffering a lack of belief 

and i think this is down to grant , who knows how the players feel !  .

Which Neil saved the penalty against Inverness in the previous fixture which won us a point in the end- old Neil or new Neil?

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Is there anything in particular about our club, setup and staff that screams Scottish footballs basement boys to you?

I get folk are a bit down about our league position, but theres some crazy over reactions here.

In Goodwins last season we had one win in 8 games late March, went up to Inverness and lost 3 2, 3 0 down at one point in the game. Goodwin looked scunnered and all looked lost. We won 4 out of our last 7 games, staying up with a point at Somerset Park.

Probably going to need something similar from the final quarter. It will be tough, but not inconceivable. The Championship is a crazy league and theres not much in some of the games we are losing, despite conceding frustrating goals at times.

And if we go down, its disappointing and it's a setback, but it's not exactly armageddon. I'll just be happy to get back to games, far worse things are happening in the world right now.

5 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Which Neil saved the penalty against Inverness in the previous fixture which won us a point in the end- old Neil or new Neil?

watch the raith goals then tell me he couldn't have done any better , like i said the whole team lacks belief

your opinion differs from the majority regards our management