The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 minute ago, Barneyw said:

Asked a few Ayr supporting mates today and they all said they hadn’t seen enough to judge emoji2371.png
He had a bit of hype at Killie a few years ago, i think he might have missed some football through injury since then though.

Oh well. Gives us something new to look forward to, at least.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Useless lump IMO

See, this is why nobody likes you  :angry:

21 hours ago, BFTD said:

What did Ayr make of him?

Yes, I know I could ask on their thread, but that's a couple of clicks away and I'm tired.

Sadly IMO he's garbage.  Way overhyped a couple of seasons ago and has done nothing since to make me think otherwise.  If he can't get a chance in front of Kabamba and Whitehall I don't fancy his long term chances. 

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and he scores a barrowload for you. 

The amount of players we sign that other fans say are shite and turn out to be brilliant for us is unreal. On paper it seems a great signing for us and is definitely a position we needed more options in. Really looking forward to seeing him and hope the next 5 months kick him on to do well for the rest of his career like numerous loans that have been with us in the past have done.

10 hours ago, liammcintosh01 said:

The amount of players we sign that other fans say are shite and turn out to be brilliant for us is unreal. On paper it seems a great signing for us and is definitely a position we needed more options in. Really looking forward to seeing him and hope the next 5 months kick him on to do well for the rest of his career like numerous loans that have been with us in the past have done.

There's something quite satisfying when that happens. I'm sure I remember some of the Morton fans telling us about how shite Flanny was when he was in and out of the side after he first joined  :lol:

Other than the disastrous Danny Lennon season, the club has done very well in putting together squads capable of competing with bigger clubs and players that don't have day jobs to worry about. That's got to be one of the toughest things for smaller clubs to get right.

The lad was in with us at the start of the season and it looked like we were getting him.For whatever reason he went to Ayr.We have had a lot of success with loan players in recent years and for me its because they get plenty game time.You will never get the best out of a young player if he gets a handful of minutes now and then.At Ayr he would be behind players like Moffat,and even he doesn,t play every week and he is different class.I have never seen the lad play so don,t know what to expect but welcome to the club and I hope he does well.

Cameron's goal v ICT.  The move starts at 4.12. Cameron has just come on and has yet to touch the ball. So his goal was his first touch in an AU shirt.  Good  finish. Was about his last contribution to the team. Never really got much of a chance and also picked up an injury which kept him out for a while.

On 28/01/2021 at 01:36, jm86 said:

Cameron's goal v ICT.  The move starts at 4.12. Cameron has just come on and has yet to touch the ball. So his goal was his first touch in an AU shirt.  Good  finish. Was about his last contribution to the team. Never really got much of a chance and also picked up an injury which kept him out for a while.

That's an impressive finish and hopefully he can stick a few of those away for us. The thing that hits me watching that clip though is the player who creates the chance. That kind of direct running at pace is what we have lacked all season. Just have to hope the manager has something up his sleeve in regards to that before the window closes. I don't fancy our chances of staying up as it stands. 

50 minutes ago, Waspie said:

That's an impressive finish and hopefully he can stick a few of those away for us. The thing that hits me watching that clip though is the player who creates the chance. That kind of direct running at pace is what we have lacked all season. Just have to hope the manager has something up his sleeve in regards to that before the window closes. I don't fancy our chances of staying up as it stands. 

I second this. There has got to be an onus on us to support the striker from midfield. I don't think the constant injuries to Trouts and Scougall have helped that. If Cameron comes in today and there's no one within 30m of him but we clip it up to him and hope we're probably going to have a bad day. 

I always think it's a shame Steven Hetherington is so goal shy because he could do that. He's strong and quick enough.

With us  now bottom of the league  no wins in 6 games 2 wins in 13 games. A goal difference of – 19. Our defence  at present is looking incapable of dealing with anything.

A failure to really strength an ageing  squad in the last two transfer window and rumours of player disharmony is it time some questions are asked of Peter Grant position.   

It’s getting harder and harder to keep any kind of positivity. Today might have knocked the very last of mine out of me. We’ve now conceded 2 or more goals in 9 of our 13 league games this season, unless that trend changes dramatically then our only hope of survival is a total collapse from Arbroath.
We all highlighted the need to strengthen in attack - and rightly so - but it’s been a while since we’ve seen an Alloa team lose so many pathetic goals and it’s hard to watch. Even Jamieson who hasn’t done a hole lot wrong gave us a bit of a sucker punch today, with that backheel that led to the penalty.
Football is one of the few things to still get excited about just now and I’m trying not to be too downbeat, but we’ve all been here before and we know how this goes.

There were some positives in that performance. The return of Trouten made a big difference and we played some nice stuff at times. Big Cameron looked like he can bring something, albeit he will need support up beside him much quicker. Defending - from the whole team - wasn't good enough. The Ayr goals were well taken but too easy and came at times when we weren't under any significant pressure. We aren't making the opposition work for their goals and have been pasted a few times now in games that were to a great extent pretty evenly balanced contests overall. 

I don't think the manager's role is under any threat at this stage. I'm not sure it's altogether fair to say he hasn't refreshed the squad enough given the wider situation we are in. It's an exceptional time and without doubt that meant the club kept on some players who would otherwise have moved on. I do feel he hasn't used the loan market as well as he might though. But we're still in the mix and I don't see any merit in a change of manager. 

The league is of a poor standard this season and there will still be plenty of chances to collect points. Next two games obviously crucial. 

The writing has been on the wall for a while. Thought Grant did a good job last year with good signings and loans. This season though we have been poor, retaining guys like Adam Brown was poor and virtually all his new signings have been disappointing. Bottom of the league with 8 points, not good enough. 

Edited by Magic Hat

Hardly Adam browns fault , most of last seasons players who did well before covid interrupted the season are here now  , we badly miss someone like Deas and flanny though 

i dont think Jamieson is quite good enough , the attitude of the players is not the same as last season they look less up for it  now. something is seriously wrong here  

one thing for sure if this keeps up Grant will be punted  make no mistake ,  the buck stops with him . 

relegation looks very likely , from being a team hard to beat we are being taken apart way too often now 

quite sad to see and not what we are used to    .

Possibly harsh to just single out Adam Brown but it has been clear from day one he hasn't been good enough.  You could add Blair Malcolm, Liam Buchanan (legend first time around) and probably Bob Thomson from last seasons squad. His new signings like Lynch, Grant,Connelly, Murray have been poor. 

Waspie makes a valid point about Covid hindering signings. 

Parry, Taggart and Troutens injuries havent helped either. 

The buck does stop with Grant, hope he proves me wrong and wins the next two games but can't see it. 

I mentioned on today's match thread that I thought that there were spells today when you looked a very decent team. Especially when Cawley and Trouten were on the ball. I hope you guys have a good rest of season, being part time, your team is a real credit to you all. Keep the faith. 

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I mentioned on today's match thread that I thought that there were spells today when you looked a very decent team. Especially when Cawley and Trouten were on the ball. I hope you guys have a good rest of season, being part time, your team is a real credit to you all. Keep the faith. 

That's what I do think. I'm frustrated but we're not a million miles away. We're very brittle defensively.

Slow to get out for the second ball after the corner for the opening goal - Trouten beating another erratic goalkeeper with an excellent lob.

Ayr had a good spell and scored but I feel like Dicko should have been closer and Parry probably should do better although it's gone through a crowd for the Ayr second.

Second half I thought Ayr sat in their shape more and exploited the space we left behind unlike in the first half where we kept finding holes. There's mistakes for the penalty. The fourth is a good goal. Scougall looked good today - Cameron looked good. Trouten's goal was one for the highlight reels. If there was one thing I would be screaming from the side of the park it's Jim Goodwin's: "Keep the ball moving" so many times we dallied and wasted an opportunity where we had Ayr against a wall.