The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Not sure what the financial situation is and in this strange season the most important thing is that the club survives and emerges as strong as possible. But if there is money in the budget to strengthen then I think it's clear that we need more of a threat up front. A striker would be good but genuine pace on the flanks perhaps just as important. I've been impressed by Innes Murray but he has done his best work deeper and more central. And while Connolly can be effective he doesn't provide the kind of direct threat down the flanks that loans like Zanatta, Hastie or even Shields provided. There are plenty of creative players in our team but pacey options for them to find would make a massive difference. 

Expecting a tough game today against a team who are probably just as strong as us in certain areas. And with the manager's comments about players playing through injury in recent weeks perhaps a few changes to give them a wee break, which would be perfectly understandable in the circumstances. Normally I'd always favour going with a full strength team in the Scottish Cup but with a small squad, lots of injuries and with a great need to get league points on the board in a shortened (and perhaps yet to be shortened further) season, don't see today as a great priority. 

Cove come into this Cup game on the back of two narrow 1-0 wins in the league but we endured a sticky patch of form prior to this. We normally play a quick passing style of football and press high. There is a lot of talent in the Cove team; Mitch (our talisman) who is well known to you is pacey and a deadly finisher but our midfield has lacked some creativity and goals. We have McIntosh on the bench today which is probably the best place for him as although he has speed his delivery/end product has been poor. Fyvie has been on good form since returning after injury.

Our left back Harry Milne is one to watch, really gets stuck into challenges and bombs up the wing past Masson a lot of the times.

We still a couple of attacking of attacking midfielders short, although it will be interesting to see if Connor Smith (on loan from Hearts) gets time today.

Alloa will be a good challenge for us today and without doubt will need to be at our best to progress. Interesting to see the difference between a Championship and a L1 side.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Coldplay to Bits & Pieces remains one of the weirder segues out there.

I do not envy those teams today. I'm frozen, and I'm wearing several layers in a centrally-heated house.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

25 minutes in and Cove have missed 2 or 3 really decent chances. Buchanan had a fine effort from 20 yards saved by McKenzie.

Decent start to the game, teams fairly evenly balanced

Poor penalty to concede by Graham when we've looked very promising going forward and not looked too threatened at the back. 1 - 0 Alloa

We're in trouble here. Not coping with them in attack at all. Just as well they don't have their shooting boots on.

...and then we go ahead again! [emoji38]

Bloody hell Strachan, punt it directly in front your own 18 yard box. Some finish though O'Donnell though. I hope it's not going to be one of those days for us! We look like we can score but conceded twice already

deserved equaliser for sure , loose passes and not the greatest organisation from alloa ,

Grant seems to be out of ideas these days he will need to start  taking some blame for the way things are

good for O'donnell though well placed goal .

my internet is buffering and it is so annoying Effin BT

Dissapointing going in 2-1 down at the break. Quite a few Cove chances squandered before the opening goal through a penalty notched away by Trouten.

Finally took one of chances to get the equaliser and then we concede within 60 seconds.

Keep the creativity and workrate going and there are more goals for us. Need to keep it water tight at the back, can't concede again and expect to get through. 

2nd half I'd like to see Scully (who is naturally a defensive central midfielder) off and Connor Smith on.

Very fortunate to be ahead in the game but that was a real classy finish from O’Donnell - delighted for him.
The last couple of weeks we have been pinned back from the start and our passing has been slack when trying to get up the park, I wonder what difference it would make starting with Thomson and Buchanan and trying to push a bit higher.