The Alloa Athletic Thread

13 minutes ago, Waspie said:

My stream was fine at the weekend. Said this on the match thread and quite probably everyone else knew weeks ago, but mine buffers something awful on the HD and highest quality picture option that it defaults too at the start. When I choose a lower quality picture (which is still fine) it runs fine. I've had no issues all season with any of the away games. Does ours default to a higher quality than anybody else is offering? 

Personally I'm not bothered about a second camera, just as long as the stream runs fine and is watchable. Getting the comms in sync with the action would be a bigger priority, sometimes end up turning it down altogether which is a shame as the comms are really good and watching the game without sound is shite. 

Those are the bits I can't fix unfortunately. It's univtec that deliver the video player and it seems to be where all the problems arise. It was the CDN that they use that mucked up the Ayr game. The comms stuff certainly begins in sync but because of the pixellot footage running a few seconds ahead of the game that's probably what's getting that out of sync. Although I did no touchups on it for the highlights and to my ear it wasn't discernibly bad. 

I could if I wanted now not use the pixellot camera at all - manual camera only. The sound would always be in sync at least when I send it.

Can I get some feedback on the stream? Preferrably from people who watch every week. Was the buffering worse this week? In terms of complaints it seems to be the normal percentage of those who watch who couldn't get it working.
People had said it buffered - but apart from waiting 30 seconds at the beginning for the game to output it worked all the way through from me. It's a nightmare to diagnose where the problems with that come from.
In the first half the pixellot source was running through VLC player which was necessary to get sound and it was lagging at my end so I had to change to the manual camera - which itself was only planned to be used for the closeups and obviously not in the best position to see the action. The horrible weather didn't help on that front as I can't quickly move the stuff into shelter, so it was a row up from where I'd be ideally positioned.
In the second, I changed from VLC to running from a different source that worked better to my eye. Ideally I wanted a main camera (pixellot) and the manual camera for a second angle... but the way that pixellot works is incompatible with adding other cameras though - if Pixellot loses a frame it'll jump to the next available one at the beginning there's a 4 second odd buffer that it eats into. Traditional camera losing a frame won't matter because they capture timecode based.  Over the 90 minutes it was almost 2 and a half seconds gained on the manual camera. I don't have a solution to synchronising it mid game. Pretty demoralised about that as it makes the operation a lot more complicated and pretty much means pixellot or nothing.
On the buffering end I'm fairly sure that it's the last step of the journey and it's the OTT from Univtec that's the problem. I can't diagnose it myself as my stream in the ground, monitoring on the laptop, worked all the way through the game at an acceptable quality. The one on my phone on the 4g worked until it ran out of battery about 30 minutes in. Diagnosing everyone's personal setup and why it may not have worked is fairly impossible.
But if people preferred to watch the manual camera over the pixellot camera that's something I can consider. Obviously I can sort an unobstructed view with a bit more time.

Stream video was absolutely faultless for me for the 90 minutes, probably the best it’s been all year. Was surprised to see all the comments about it buffering and dropping out on the match thread.

Still had the commentary sync issue and it was actually further out of sync this week than it has been for the last few streams - probably the worst it’s been all year! If I remember right I think it was also out of sync in the opposite direction this week, it’s normally 2-3 seconds ahead of the video, but this week it was about 5 seconds behind the video so that’s a bit strange.

As I think Waspie said, it’s a really annoying issue, and I did have to turn the sound off as it was so bad this week. Shame cause I’ve really enjoyed the commentary this season.

2 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Stream video was absolutely faultless for me for the 90 minutes, probably the best it’s been all year. Was surprised to see all the comments about it buffering and dropping out on the match thread.

Still had the commentary sync issue and it was actually further out of sync this week than it has been for the last few streams - probably the worst it’s been all year! If I remember right I think it was also out of sync in the opposite direction this week, it’s normally 2-3 seconds ahead of the video, but this week it was about 5 seconds behind the video so that’s a bit strange.

As I think Waspie said, it’s a really annoying issue, and I did have to turn the sound off as it was so bad this week. Shame cause I’ve really enjoyed the commentary this season.

It's very hard to tell with away fans because they'll get a different experience every time they 'visit' a different club.

Well that's good to know about the commentary. If it's 5 seconds behind that's 100% not a problem with what I'm sending. But I don't even know where to start in getting the company behind that part to fix it.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah the Ayr game was awful. That was everyone that got the same rubbish stream.

Yeah I'm thinking about how to go forward, I wasn't happy with either half really. There's issues either way I do it... I need to figure out if the drift is caused by pixellot - the frame skipping issue that I mentioned - which is unfixable or if it's to do with the stream being re-encoded so you can get it whatever quality your internet can handle and the audio for whatever reason gets encoded earlier. Again unfixable with the current setup. 

I'm getting to the stage ripping this up and starting again sounds like the easiest option.

It really does seem like you would be better ditching pixellot, it seems to cause alot more problems than it solves! 

I payed 12 quid on the 25th and got bugger all. I e-mailed the address given  to report my problem and as yet have not received a reply. ICT re-embursed people that had problems (it was actually Glasgow). That'll me be finished buying from Alloa. 

Edited by steakngravy

14 minutes ago, steakngravy said:

I payed 12 quid on the 25th and got bugger all. I e-mailed the address given  to report my problem and as yet have not received a reply. ICT re-embursed people that had problems (it was actually Glasgow). That'll me be finished buying from Alloa. 

If it's the fcadmin email address, you'd be better off messaging @LeodhasXD.

Or possibly screaming into the void.

Looks like as a club we have just given up on Twitter and updating fans...

Do we even have a game tonight... Three games on the trot we have been pish on social media... 

Feast or famine... Either pish tweets or no tweets... Any chance of just normal football club tweets to keep fans up to date 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

15 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

Do we even have a game tonight... Three games on the trot we have been pish on social media... 

Feast or famine... Either pish tweets or no tweets... Any chance of just normal football club tweets to keep fans up to date 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Having somebody else to fill in while our boy's sleeping would probably help.

Maybe give Wasps1 the password to the Twitter account. What could go wrong?

4 hours ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

No.

Feast or famine... Either pish tweets or no tweets... Any chance of just normal football club tweets to keep fans up to date [emoji2375] 
Why don't you volunteer to help?

11 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

No.

Good to know a club employee has such a disregard to fans. 

If you aren't capable of doing it properly by being stretched too much with streaming and editing video then surely you ask the club to let someone else do it... 

I'm sure there would be fans that would be more than willing to put out a tweet on match days. 

5 hours ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

If you aren't capable of doing it properly by being stretched too much with streaming and editing video then surely you ask the club to let someone else do it... 

I'm sure there would be fans that would be more than willing to put out a tweet on match days. 

Yeah, but you're not a fan, are you?

Was that a no to my suggestion of offering to help out?

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yeah, but you're not a fan, are you?

Was that a no to my suggestion of offering to help out?

I'm not a fan because I have opinions that doesn't agree with people? 

I think we accept mediocrity, the club look to being doing great work off the pitch I'd just like the club to put out some content and spread good news in a mad world. e.g Raith / Inverness both doing bits on Twitter which are pleasant to read. 

My grasp of the english language would be an even bigger embarrassment to the club if I started tweeting. The boy doing the commentary would be worth asking to tweet game day stuff? He's there after all. 

3 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

I'm not a fan because I have opinions that doesn't agree with people? 

No. I think you know exactly why youre not just a fan

3 minutes ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

I think we accept mediocrity, the club look to being doing great work off the pitch I'd just like the club to put out some content and spread good news in a mad world. e.g Raith / Inverness both doing bits on Twitter which are pleasant to read. 

My grasp of the english language would be an even bigger embarrassment to the club if I started tweeting. The boy doing the commentary would be worth asking to tweet game day stuff? He's there after all. 

You mean the guy who you know is doing basically everything himself? The guy you've been having a go at on here for months? Or do you mean a different guy?

Nice attempt at dodging the volunteering, by the way. But if its that easy that you can do updates and commentate at the same time then Im sure even you could manage it.

8 hours ago, bringbackchopraNOW said:

The boy doing the commentary would be worth asking to tweet game day stuff? He's there after all. 

You're not a fan though. You're a critic and since your goal is just to antagonise I can just laugh you out the door.

The 'boy doing commentary' volunteered to do the commentary - It would be stupid to suggest to him to do another job on top of that, especially one that requires taking your eyes off the game.

The serious answer is none of those things you'd like to see make any money. While that is the case they will always be an after thought.