Wilky1878

The Alloa Athletic Thread

I have seldom seen an Alloa team so lacking in confidence , I don't care if we won 
its not looking good .

Chill, m8, it's early days.

Certainly our passing was unusually poor. Not sure exactly what formation we were playing, but it didn't seem to work particularly well. We were better when Trouts came on and just about deserved the win. Stirling (not Andy) did well, I thought - well organised and motivated. Easier to defend against us on the narrower pitch, of course.

Good to see Buchs and O'Hara get goals - always helps when your strikers are scoring. Liam's was a typically clinical finish of a chance that was more difficult than he made it look IMO. I liked O'Hara dishing it out to the centre back who had given him some.

4 minutes ago, printer said:

Easier to defend against us on the narrower pitch, of course.

Oh don't start me on the pitch please ….😥

7 minutes ago, printer said:

I liked O'Hara dishing it out to the centre back who had given him some.

took the Ref long enough to realise he was being conned ..

Mind Jim's first full season; we started atrociously before turning it around. It's early days to be worried. Especially when it's difficult to gauge how good the championship sides really are yet.
Difficult game to gadge in the fact nothing really to play for the local derby thing has gone now due to the Albion being in the lower div for so many seasons . everybody knows we need players in only time will tell

Difficult game to gadge in the fact nothing really to play for the local derby thing has gone now due to the Albion being in the lower div for so many seasons . everybody knows we need players in only time will tell

You are fishing for easy bites with such comments.

We all know the reason for the apathy is the pricing.

The narrow pitch suited them . Perhaps the solution will be to widen the pitch but not to the width it was before . It definitely doesn't suit our midfield men and Our full backs . Seen It last season where dross like falkirk and others could come and defend and beat us of the set plays . 

We need at least 4 players in and we are missing the star turns that the loans brought us last season. The goalkeeper just won't so I'm afraid 😨 also. 

It's pre season Ffs and some really need to calm down. The manger is working things out and the players are building up fitness in these games. We have some terrific footballers in our team and in truth we should have had the game won before half time . 

I was impressed with Dylan Mackin when he was with us but he has certainly found the road to greigs since he's left .He looks well over weight. Get the head down and get it back big man you can still do something. 

Mon alloa 

59 minutes ago, Oweny said:

I was impressed with Dylan Mackin when he was with us but he has certainly found the road to greigs since he's left .He looks well over weight. Get the head down and get it back big man you can still do something. 

He bullied that Livi defence when we drew 2-2 with them and now they're all premiership players 🙄

When I was at Stirling Albion they said this was him after losing a fair bit of weight. I dread to think what he was like last season.

Mackin certainly has an eye for goal as we saw when he was with us but ending up on the bench at the bino's  is a hellava comedown

seems to struggle with his weight which is a shame .

Think it’s going to take time under grant, wants us to be more direct, new formation as well but we’ll see how it goes

Think it’s going to take time under grant, wants us to be more direct, new formation as well but we’ll see how it goes

What would you say the formation was last night. I couldn’t call it.

What would you say the formation was last night. I couldn’t call it.

I would suggest it was a diamond formation with both left and right side midfielders being too narrow reducing the width leaving the fullbacks as the only wide options

4 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

I would suggest it was a diamond formation with both left and right side midfielders being too narrow reducing the width leaving the fullbacks as the only wide options

Absolutely- could certainly see a diamond in the second half when he switched it a bit...first half seemed a bit of a mess though. Why play Flanny left with Andy Stirling through the middle. Stirling looks far more effective when hes able to find a bit of space and run at defenders. Flanny and Stevie H are the proven centre midfielders in the engine room. Looks like the manager saw this and Flanny had far more of a free role after the break where he could get himself involved a lot more and dictate the play. Still thought it took a Stirling opener to really wake us up though. 

The managers not had a pre season to work with these guys so we have to give him time to figure it all out. We beat Stirling for the ninth time in a row, the other results in the group are fairly meaningless.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

I noticed hearts had to come from behind against a much weaker opponent a few divisions below them also last night in the pre season cup. Games are unpredictable this time of the season. Players are just trying to get fit and managers are trying out new systems . I noticed jim  Goodwin is under pressure already unbelievable really. 

I think we need to chill and this is a fine thing coming from me . Very early days.  We know what these players are capable of but we also know we need strengthening to replace last season's star turns . 

Mon alloa 

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Thoughts on Jack Aitchson boys? Think he'd be a good addition for Dundee? What's his role like?

2 mins in for this goal from Aitchison , not bad but we didn't see as much of him as we would have liked . tricky player sure he can do something for you , is he loaned or permanent ?

Thoughts on Jack Aitchson boys? Think he'd be a good addition for Dundee? What's his role like?

I liked him...for such a young guy I thought he was always cool and composed on the ball, never panicked into making a pass and always looked to weigh up his options...

3 hours ago, harry94 said:

He missed loads being away with Scotland. When he got in the team I think he was a big reason behind our winning run. As a small striker he dealt with defenders brilliantly. Definitely got bigger things to come from him.