Wilky1878

The Alloa Athletic Thread

Goód work out tonight looking forward to the new Gaffer being unveiled to the press at 1 tomorrow

giphy.jpg.07bbb4e1d4644453ea4119703d4f574c.jpg

Quite a surprising choice but Mike Mulraney has a good track record and Grant has obviously impressed him. His best appointments have been younger managers having their first shot at it, rather than Smith and Lennon who were a bit mixed, but I thought he made a good point in saying that there is no set model and that he just goes for the best candidate. Can't argue with that. 

Personally not interested in people's previous clubs and if people are genuinely getting fired up about such things then we can do without them. They should also remember though that Alloa have had plenty ex Celtic and Rangers people as managers going back a long, long time. A man with a Celtic background similar to Grant, James McStay, built one of the greatest Alloa sides of all time. But really who gives a f**k, we are Alloa! 

Main thing for me is that the new manger doesn't try to come in and make loads of changes. He has an excellent nucleus, established way of playing and a great dressing room. Just needs to ca canny initially, add a few good signings (hopefully Jim has left his list of prospective loans) and take it from there. 

Welcome Peter and mon the Wasps. 

Hilarious to hear tonight that some folk aren't coming back  due to this appointment.  Seriously get a grip.
Good riddance to them.

Quite a surprising choice but Mike Mulraney has a good track record and Grant has obviously impressed him. His best appointments have been younger managers having their first shot at it, rather than Smith and Lennon who were a bit mixed, but I thought he made a good point in saying that there is no set model and that he just goes for the best candidate. Can't argue with that. 
Personally not interested in people's previous clubs and if people are genuinely getting fired up about such things then we can do without them. They should also remember though that Alloa have had plenty ex Celtic and Rangers people as managers going back a long, long time. A man with a Celtic background similar to Grant, James McStay, built one of the greatest Alloa sides of all time. But really who gives a f**k, we are Alloa! 
Main thing for me is that the new manger doesn't try to come in and make loads of changes. He has an excellent nucleus, established way of playing and a great dressing room. Just needs to ca canny initially, add a few good signings (hopefully Jim has left his list of prospective loans) and take it from there. 
Welcome Peter and mon the Wasps. 
Great post onwards and upwards

As I said previously I'm disappointed with this appointment, but that's entirely down to his poor record as manager and patchy (at best) record as a coach. Also, he has absolutely no experience of working with a part time setup (as far as I can see).

On the plus side the hope would be that his time with the Scotland team, and youth teams has provided him with an insight into the decent young players that we may get in on loan.

A lot of people are quoting MM's record of recognising and appointing managers but his successes have largely been with young managers moving into their first job rather than experienced managers. Barry Smith and Danny Lennon both did OK initially but were ultimately unsuccessful.

Having said all of the above I hope that I'll be proven wrong and Grant will turn out to be a great manager for us. Once the action starts I'll put my misgivings to one side and support the manager and team as always. And anyone who says that they're not coming back because of Grant's Celtic connections is a dick.

6 minutes ago, Dink said:

anyone who says that they're not coming back because of Grant's Celtic connections is a dick.

Totally agree. These people are small minded ringpieces imo. 

Its 30 years since rangers swiped Mo Johnston out from under celtics nose, and there still bitterness oozing from some of these bigoted fucks. Some folks need to get a bloody grip of themselves. 

not entirely happy with PG as manager, (nothing to do with his celtic connections) but will support and hope he does well 

to the ones who are walking away "byeee! " we don't want or need your so called support . we may get the odd sellick fan wandering in now and then 

to see Grant's team he was well thought of as a player there ,

he has absolutely no experience of working with a part time setup (as far as I can see).

Yes, this is the main question mark for me. Is he going to complicate things, can he properly relate to part-time players.

We've already got a very good squad and the players know their own and each others strengths (which we play to) and weaknesses (which they cover for). So I agree he needs to take a softly, softly approach initially. Paddy Connolly can be key here, as can the likes of Andy G and Liam B.

Overall I'm excited by the appointment. It's another high profile one, which is nice, and you'd expect Grant to have loads of contacts. At the end of the day, he'll do well and move on to a full-time gig or do poorly, leave and Alloa will move forwards.

47 minutes ago, printer said:

Yes, this is the main question mark for me. Is he going to complicate things, can he properly relate to part-time players.

We've already got a very good squad and the players know their own and each others strengths (which we play to) and weaknesses (which they cover for). So I agree he needs to take a softly, softly approach initially. Paddy Connolly can be key here, as can the likes of Andy G and Liam B.

Overall I'm excited by the appointment. It's another high profile one, which is nice, and you'd expect Grant to have loads of contacts. At the end of the day, he'll do well and move on to a full-time gig or do poorly, leave and Alloa will move forwards.

Talking about your strengths, are you keeping the narrow pitch again this season? It’s a pain in the erse for teams who like wing play. 

100% let's get behind him the club is very stable on and off the park . the good thing the players know each other very well . a few good loan move and we are good to go . survival is the key again simple

Talking about your strengths, are you keeping the narrow pitch again this season? It’s a pain in the erse for teams who like wing play. 
Not sure, m8. It's not something any of us have an opinion on.

I would be 100% sure he are keeping the narrow park

12 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:
4 hours ago, P475 said:

I would be 100% sure he are keeping the narrow park

Baws! This is bad news for teams like ours that’s been signing wide players. 

I like Grant, think he's a decent guy, hopefully he can carry on where Goodwin left off.

Came on to comment on what a massive bell Grant looks. Absolutely infatuated with himself imo.

Strange appointment from a club that has appointed a certain ‘type’ over the last few years. Hope you get pumped all season for this. 

40 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Came on to comment on what a massive bell Grant looks. Absolutely infatuated with himself imo.

Strange appointment from a club that has appointed a certain ‘type’ over the last few years. Hope you get pumped all season for this. 

Something you guys have gotten well used to , watchout lowland league is right behind you !