Wilky1878

The Alloa Athletic Thread

Would be very strange for him to be playing a closed door friendly right now for us then.

Another hill another dead body

34 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Would be very strange for him to be playing a closed door friendly right now for us then.

Doesn't mean it isn't true to be fair. Like the St Mirren rumour though, this seems a little strange. He settled onto a steady game last season despite the lukewarm reviews from Dumbarton fans, and did a solid job. Not a stand out player however and weaker than Taggart on the other flank. I did feel that when Crane became available this summer that he would be an upgrade, but I'd still be happy enough if Liam was our LB for the season and it wouldn't be ideal to be looking for a replacement there as well as the other gaps we have to fill. Good luck to him if it does indeed come off. 

Edited by Waspie

41 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Doesn't mean it isn't true to be fair. Like the St Mirren rumour though, this seems a little strange. He settled onto a steady game last season despite the lukewarm reviews from Dumbarton fans, and did a solid job. Not a stand out player however and weaker than Taggart on the other flank. I did feel that when Crane became available this summer that he would be an upgrade, but I'd still be happy enough if Liam was our LB for the season and it wouldn't be ideal to be looking for a replacement there as well as the other gaps we have to fill. Good luck to him if it does indeed come off. 

Too much strangeness for me, Occam's razor and all that.

In this game there were 5/6 dicey challenges in the first half. Ref ignored the one on Kev and then two seconds later Dicko flew through the boy, ball and man. 6ft4 Frenchman greeting on the ground. Didn't look like a player who was holding back because he would be moving away. 

Think he's been excellent so far in preseason would be daft to poke another hole in the squad so soon before the real games start.

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

and weaker than Taggart on the other flank

I would disagree and say liam has been more solid than taggs , ousman see had taggs on toast in the AR friendly

I would disagree and say liam has been more solid than taggs , ousman see had taggs on toast in the AR friendly
I think Liam is the better defender of the two when playing full back.

playing a closed door friendly right now.

Have the board taken a chance and let loose wasps1 on turnstyle duty?

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Taggs has been excellent at RB and when called upon at CB over 3 seasons, who gives a f*ck about a friendly against Albion Rovers?! 

1 hour ago, printer said:
1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

I think Liam is the better defender of the two when playing full back.

I don't think there is much between them defensively at FB but Taggs brings much more going forward. He was also a better option next to Andy at CB. But I certainly hope Liam will be lining up for us this season.

5 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Taggs has been excellent at RB and when called upon at CB over 3 seasons, who gives a f*ck about a friendly against Albion Rovers?! 

just hope both of them are here come the season start , tags more effective at RB and ok for cover at CB IMO , yes the AR game was a friendly not important .

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Too much strangeness for me, Occam's razor and all that.

In this game there were 5/6 dicey challenges in the first half. Ref ignored the one on Kev and then two seconds later Dicko flew through the boy, ball and man. 6ft4 Frenchman greeting on the ground. Didn't look like a player who was holding back because he would be moving away. 

Think he's been excellent so far in preseason would be daft to poke another hole in the squad so soon before the real games start.

Who were the opposition ?

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

Who were the opposition ?

Good question.

Honestly don't know much else that they are French.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Taggs.......was also a better option next to Andy at CB. But I certainly hope Liam will be lining up for us this season.

I like Taggs in central defence. He reads the game well there and his pace complements Andy G.

16 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Good question.

Honestly don't know much else that they are French.

quel était le score ?

19 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

quel était le score ?

Guy Ipoua's dudes 2 - 1 Alloa but then how many trialists does it take to not be Alloa anymore? If it's 6 then it was 1-1.

Some good players playing for the French team. The right  back was a tough customer but excellent. We had a trialist centre half in the second half who was French and the guy must have been 7 foot tall. Boy was very quick and good on the ball. Certainly worth another look .  Never seen much in the other trialists we had but some of the French guys looked the part especially the right winger who looked like ribery at Bayern Munich. Very direct. 

The game ended 3-1 to the visitors. Some tough tackling Though. 

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Guy Ipoua

international scout apparently , the played clyde too at stirlng uni , calling themselves direction foot  . all very strange , I presume they are a collection of players 

looking for contracts with guy steering them (and cashing in on any Contracts) .

17 hours ago, Oweny said:

Some good players playing for the French team. The right  back was a tough customer but excellent. We had a trialist centre half in the second half who was French and the guy must have been 7 foot tall. Boy was very quick and good on the ball. Certainly worth another look .  Never seen much in the other trialists we had but some of the French guys looked the part especially the right winger who looked like ribery at Bayern Munich. Very direct. 

The game ended 3-1 to the visitors. Some tough tackling Though. 

None of the guys we had were Trialists , they were just more of the french guys  the club agreed that could play for us  so as many as possible could get game time. 

It's been 2 weeks since jim left and with the betfred cup starting in a weeks time , I'd like to think we will maybe hear something about a new manager this week, I'm not at the stage where I am worrying yet but we are now getting into crucial preparation time for the new season. I still think we need 4/5 players (some loan which I realise most probably won't get done until mid/end August) but nothing will get done until a new manager is in and I think the sooner one is appointed the more chance we have of having a stronger start to the season.

37 minutes ago, liammcintosh01 said:

It's been 2 weeks since jim left and with the betfred cup starting in a weeks time , I'd like to think we will maybe hear something about a new manager this week, I'm not at the stage where I am worrying yet but we are now getting into crucial preparation time for the new season. I still think we need 4/5 players (some loan which I realise most probably won't get done until mid/end August) but nothing will get done until a new manager is in and I think the sooner one is appointed the more chance we have of having a stronger start to the season.

I had the sneaking suspicion that we might've been naming someone on Monday but that came and went. Would be very surprised if we end the week managerless.