The Alloa Athletic Thread

I believe McCall said in his interview that one of his big regrets was letting Graham go.
I think tbf to McCall (can't believe I said that [emoji6]) there were big doubts about how Andy would cope with the quality and pace of Championship strikers. He certainly laid those to rest with his consistent quality last year. A talented footballer and outstanding professional.

I've been keeping an eye on the website to find out when season books are going on sale, but didn't notice anything. They've been on sale for almost two weeks?  :blink:

What are the prices? Have I missed the early discount?

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've been keeping an eye on the website to find out when season books are going on sale, but didn't notice anything. They've been on sale for almost two weeks?  :blink:

What are the prices? Have I missed the early discount?

No idea what that embedded tweet is doing.

http://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView.aspx?pageid=2&ItemID=1936&mid=2

20 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

This looks like a positive step having a reserve team next season. IMG_0655.jpg

Yes, but we don't have enough signed players for the first team, where are we going to get enough for a reserve team?

Edited by laughing gravie

Yes, n

but we don't have enough signed players for the first team, where are we going to get enough for a reserve team?

Will probably just be the current youth team.

I will try to curtail my excitement

This will be my ninth season and other than one or two fleeting exceptions can’t recall a truly meaningful input from a youth player. Adam Martin had probably the biggest impact but he was frozen out when the loan players came in. Whether he would have been good enough in any case is open to question. Also with the increasing trend over that time period to use more loan players I would think opportunities will be minimal. So frankly I question whether there is any value in the reserve league other than giving fringe players a second rate run out.

9 minutes ago, fruitbowl said:

This will be my ninth season and other than one or two fleeting exceptions can’t recall a truly meaningful input from a youth player. Adam Martin had probably the biggest impact but he was frozen out when the loan players came in. Whether he would have been good enough in any case is open to question. Also with the increasing trend over that time period to use more loan players I would think opportunities will be minimal. So frankly I question whether there is any value in the reserve league other than giving fringe players a second rate run out.

16 year old Greig Spence kept you up in league one with a goal against Ayr.  

Think the problems everyone is alluding to is why Goody disbanded it and click the reset button. He’s brought some guy in and let him bring in his coaches in an attempt to revamp it if I remember an interview correctly. Think he’s been frustrated about not having any players come through in his time.

Won’t be a quick fix and we won’t see the results (if any!) for a few years.

The last player to graduate from the youth system and play more than 20 games for us was John Grant back in 2004 . The good players get cherry picked away of they are good enough. We lost a real good prospect to Dundee last season on a full time deal . Age 16 and never been involved in our first team . We simply cannot compete when the full time deals are on offer. 

Been saying this for years that we are far better placed securing guys that have not made the grade at the very top level freed by the big teams then give them a chance to rebuild their careers with us .  Paul Hartley was excellent at this and guys like Bain, Doyle , Cawley , Holmes , McCord, Marr did precisely this.  Focussing on a reserve team as opposed to youths will give players a platform to re build. 

Furthermore the best two strikers in the division were both rejected by top level teams early in their careers. Shankland was binned at Aberdeen and Dobbie did not make the grade at Rangers . Both are fantastic players. 

This view certainly had never been popular but I recall watching a reserve alloa team in the early 1990s and it produced terrific players such as Paul Sheerin (rejected at celtic) , Shaun Smith , Neil mcavoy, Barrie Moffatt (rejected by rangers ) who were excellent alloa players . SHeerin  went to Southampton for £60,000 and had a sterling career in football. The last great player to come through was of course Martin Cameron before the reserve team folded . This was a more potent model than we have witnessed for the last 15 years . 

I am encouraged by the reintroduction of the reserve team. Paul Hartley was keen to do this . 

Surprised Goodwin has hit the reset button on the reserves as he never went to any games to watch

But to be fair Livi took all his supposed best boys from reserves to Albion Rovers and they all fell flat on there arse and nearly got them relegated. Lewis Wilson still in Albions first team but he had already left previously 

what's happened to Declan McDonald he looked at talent when I watched him ?

Edited by holsten