The Alloa Athletic Thread

Yeah, that's a tried and tested core signed. I imagine Jim will be looking to sign 3 or 4 permanent deals and then bolster the squad with loans as per, especially in the forward areas.

Likely the loans won't be done until nearer the start of the league campaign or maybe even once it's started. Key will be the quality of attacking players we can get in either permies or loans.

I know we’ve had the debate previously whether or not he’s still good enough but I think this is a good signing. For the market we’re in, don’t think we can get much better. He’s a proven goalscorer, albeit ageing, and the poacher/finisher instinct we have missed. I would rather we signed Buchanan than someone like Blair Henderson.

Let’s hope he can rekindle his form like he did in his last move. He came to us last time after some fairly uninspiring spells. A better option than what we had this time last year.

Under whelmed and surprised with the Buchannan signing to be honest. The past two season he has been in different and long periods of injuries. I would think past his best will probably be used coming off the bench. Hope to be proven wrong.   

Certainly hasn't had a fantastic time at Raith and at 34 has a few more miles on the clock. In his defence, I don't think their style of play ever really suited him and I don't think it's been a great place to play for a good while now. They didn't get anywhere near as much out of Dario either for example. 

Buchs never relied on blistering pace with us but a great footballing brain and a cool head. Won't have lost either of those. Was also renowned as a good pro who looked after himself. So while he is getting on a bit, he should fit into the established nucleus of really good part-time players that we have. If he stays fit and the manager gets good younger legs (on loan probably) around him, then this could work out nicely. A bit like Alan Trouten last season. 

And memories of his last season are so good that I'd welcome him back even if he was 50. Let's hope there are more to come. 

Edited by Waspie

19 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Certainly hasn't had a fantastic time at Raith and at 34 has a few more miles on the clock. In his defence, I don't think their style of play ever really suited him and I don't think it's been a great place to play for a good while now. They didn't get anywhere near as much out of Dario either for example. 

Buchs never relied on blistering pace with us but a great footballing brain and a cool head. Won't have lost either of those. Was also renowned as a good pro who looked after himself. So while he is getting on a bit, he should fit into the established nucleus of really good part-time players that we have. If he stays fit and the manager gets good younger legs (on loan probably) around him, then this could work out nicely. A bit like Alan Trouten last season. 

And memories of his last season are so good that I'd welcome him back even if he was 50. Let's hope there are more to come. 

You're right he didn't fit in with how we played, particularly in the first season. Saying that he was still our second highest goalscorer this season. Whether or not he actually plays, I imagine he'll be good for your dressing room and helping with the young guys. Good luck to him and yous next season.

Not surprised by this but Buchanan looked out of it last time I saw him at raith (Forfar playoff)

if and by all accounts The Rovers play didn't suit him then he may come good, probably a good head to have around ,but I think we have seen his best 

but looking at Andy graham and his age I hope liam proves me wrong  . could do worse .

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Spot on and cant really add much to this. I would also say that the manager hasnt signed him based on sentiment. He wasnt at the club during his first spell, and clearly thinks hes still capable of doing a job.

We wont be relying solely on Buchs to bang them in. Important we have an experienced head up top though and he fits that bill.

6 hours ago, Waspie said:

Certainly, Smith's formless hump it style of play suited very few players. However McGlynn has played a fairly open style of football where most weeks we've dominated possession, and created numerous chances.

It's also true that his football brain is still very much there but whatever pace he had, blistering or otherwise, is gone. 

Actually for us, the issue was really his lack of impact anywhere outside the box. He had a decent return for us but the wider game largely passed him by. Obviously as a striker you can always rest your laurels on number of goals and he got at least 3 that changed games for us. On the other hand you really notice when your other striker simply isn't involved, further testimony to how important Kevin Nisbet was for us.

Goes with every Rovers fan's best wishes but doubt many would've kept him around. Nothing to do with Raith as a club or it being 'a good place to play', simply that he looked done. 

Great player terrific signing. We missed an experienced forward . A player who can drop into midfield also. His fitness was never in question as he looks after himself . 

I know we’ve had the debate previously whether or not he’s still good enough but I think this is a good signing. For the market we’re in, don’t think we can get much better. He’s a proven goalscorer, albeit ageing, and the poacher/finisher instinct we have missed. I would rather we signed Buchanan than someone like Blair Henderson.

Let’s hope he can rekindle his form like he did in his last move. He came to us last time after some fairly uninspiring spells. A better option than what we had this time last year.

To be fair, I was impressed with Henderson when we played Edinburgh City last season and given that he scored over 30 goals and was named league 2 player of the year, I think he would be an ideal signing for us...

Must admit I am a bit meh about Buchanan. 100% a great professional who looks after himself and an experienced head that can be invaluable.

However reading the Raith fans view there is no animosity at all towards Buchanan, all wish him well, keeps himself fit etc but everyone acknowledges that his legs have gone and he has lost his sharpness. Considering he appears to have looked leggy against part time teams then i don't expect much in the championship. 

That said he probably won't start every week and hopefully like Andy G he can show that age is no barrier and that although physically he may be on the downward spirall his undoubted know how will more than compensate for any lack of mobility.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Certainly, Smith's formless hump it style of play suited very few players. However McGlynn has played a fairly open style of football where most weeks we've dominated possession, and created numerous chances.

It's also true that his football brain is still very much there but whatever pace he had, blistering or otherwise, is gone. 

Actually for us, the issue was really his lack of impact anywhere outside the box. He had a decent return for us but the wider game largely passed him by. Obviously as a striker you can always rest your laurels on number of goals and he got at least 3 that changed games for us. On the other hand you really notice when your other striker simply isn't involved, further testimony to how important Kevin Nisbet was for us.

Goes with every Rovers fan's best wishes but doubt many would've kept him around. Nothing to do with Raith as a club or it being 'a good place to play', simply that he looked done. 

Certainly an element of risk but I always feel that talk of players being "done" or "legs gone" is a bit of a lazy cliche. There was similar talk last year about Trouten not having the legs for the Championship.  He got almost 20 goals. Time will tell, but in the market we're in I think Liam is worth a shot. Key will be getting him in a role that suits him and with the right players around him.