The Alloa Athletic Thread

On 3/10/2019 at 12:59, Oweny said:

Our recent home from is what s going to relegate us.  Dunfermline falkirk and Patrick are no better 

Lol. 

Alloa have won more points at home than they have away this season. 

22 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Lol. 

Alloa have won more points at home than they have away this season. 

Given how much of hindrance the park is I'm sure we'd have more points had we left it as it was.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Given how much of hindrance the park is I'm sure we'd have more points had we left it as it was.

Evidently not a hinderence seeing as you get better results playing on your bowling alley than the bigger pitches in the rest of the league. 

It's almost like Alloa are the worst team in the league, shocking. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

How can it be a hindrance when you’ve performed better on it than you have wider pitches?

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Evidently not a hinderence seeing as you get better results playing on your bowling alley than the bigger pitches in the rest of the league. 

It's almost like Alloa are the worst team in the league, shocking. 

Overly simplistic. Insert Ebbe Skovdahl stats quote here. 

We probably are the worst team in the league but as the league table shows, there isn't much in it so far. 

It's natural to do a bit better at home, that's why we speak of home advantage. We threw away part of our home advantage by reducing our park to such narrow dimensions that in no way suit our team or style of play. We have beaten or drawn away with all of the sides we have beaten at home, we didn't need to shrink the park to beat them at home. Anybody who has watched at us home regularly can see how it is a hindrance. Or those who haven't can try lazy counter arguments based on stats alone. 

Or those who haven't can try lazy counter arguments based on stats alone. 

Indeed, Waspie.

I think what is most revealing here and on the match threads from the recent comments from Dunfermline fans, in particular, and others is how worried and rattled they must have been by how well Alloa have done this season so far. It's clearly been eating away at them, but now they feel able to be a bit cocky as we've fallen to the bottom of the league. Several of them clearly no better than OF fans. Quite sad really.

Indeed, Waspie.

I think what is most revealing here and on the match threads from the recent comments from Dunfermline fans, in particular, and others is how worried and rattled they must have been by how well Alloa have done this season so far. It's clearly been eating away at them, but now they feel able to be a bit cocky as we've fallen to the bottom of the league. Several of them clearly no better than OF fans. Quite sad really.

Have you done well this season? I’m not being disrespectful but what constitutes Alloa doing well this season? If you go down will that have been a successful season?

Have you done well this season? I’m not being disrespectful but what constitutes Alloa doing well this season? If you go down will that have been a successful season?

Staying up is a good season, going down is never good [emoji23] the start we made and the way we have played isn’t worthy of a relegation. If we done a Dumbarton and parked the bus every game and played “anti football” then fair enough but the fact Jim has spoken about looking above us in the league instead of over our shoulder shows what he thinks is a “good season”

58 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed, Waspie.

I think what is most revealing here and on the match threads from the recent comments from Dunfermline fans, in particular, and others is how worried and rattled they must have been by how well Alloa have done this season so far.

You're 14 points behind us, haven't beaten us and are in last place with the teams above you pulling away.  

Don't think there's been a single accurate post by an Alloa fan on this thread so far tbh. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You're 14 points behind us, haven't beaten us and are in last place with the teams above you pulling away.  

Don't think there's been a single accurate post by an Alloa fan on this thread so far tbh. 

If you tried thinking about  for a minute As a small part time team we are doing well, that is what some of the posters mean, don't forget it wasn't so long ago you lot were looking at relegation too!

20 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

If you tried thinking about  for a minute As a small part time team we are doing well, that is what some of the posters mean, don't forget it wasn't so long ago you lot were looking at relegation too!

His posts would suggest that thinking is not a strong point. Although he has done well to have apparently read the 439 pages on this thread.

I see on Alloa Stats on twitter that Kevin Cawley could make his 300th appearance on Saturday. Great servant and terrific player for Alloa. 

Love it because we have gone bottom of the league for the first time in ages (by two points), we are not allowed to give the team plaudits and say it’s not a successful season.

Still challenging, unlike the part-timers last year and with significantly less budget than our rivals this year. Also, couple of good cup runs.

Obviously, a lot of things we can do better this season. However, people getting pedantic when we try praise the team is a bit much!

18 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

As an Ayr fan you will get our position better than most.You were relegated as a part time club,promptly won league 1 as a full time club.Despite a slump recently you have had a great season.We are the only part time club in the league,thats not been the case in recent years so it is tough.We beat yourselves and Raith on our full size pitch on the way to promotion,not because we are a better side but because it suits our players and we had our day,thats sport.Given that we retained the core of that squad it makes no sense to us that we tricked up the pitch.All it does is send out the message that we don,t fancy ourselves in a fair contest.The Pars only beat us 1-0 but it was really comfortable for them with us playing hoofball to a big young center forward who got nothing out of the Pars back line.It was brutal to watch.We all believe we have shot ourselves in the foot with the stupid pitch and failed to take advantage of the poor form of Partick and Falkirk.They have taken big steps to address this which we certainly cant match.

We've  only retained our second tier status on three occasions in our entire history- 2 of which occurred this decade (in 2013/14 then the following season again). Although this seasons Championship is significantly weaker than both campaigns in 2013-15 (one of which was the Heart/Hibs/Rangers season), theres a sense of realism as to how far we can go.

The disastrous Brechin campaign last term has undoubtedly reduced expectation which has worked in our favour. And in all honesty we aren't too far away in terms of comparisons against most of the opposition in the league- which is reflected in the league table and points tally. I think we have 2 or 3 players who would get a game for the majority of the other teams.

For me, staying up through any means (even ninth via play-offs) would represent a really successful season. And if we go down, I cant see car park protests and burning effigies if we have a real go at it (as we have done to date)

In more recent times, Ayr have been an even more prominent yo-yo club than ourselves. Should Ayr drop out the play-off positions to a 5th placed finish, it would probably still represent a successful season for them looking at the bigger picture- of course it wont feel that way.

We've  only retained our second tier status on three occasions in our entire history- 2 of which occurred this decade (in 2013/14 then the following season again). Although this seasons Championship is significantly weaker than both campaigns in 2013-15 (one of which was the Heart/Hibs/Rangers season), theres a sense of realism as to how far we can go.
The disastrous Brechin campaign last term has undoubtedly reduced expectation which has worked in our favour. And in all honesty we aren't too far away in terms of comparisons against most of the opposition in the league- which is reflected in the league table and points tally. I think we have 2 or 3 players who would get a game for the majority of the other teams.
For me, staying up through any means (even ninth via play-offs) would represent a really successful season. And if we go down, I cant see car park protests and burning effigies if we have a real go at it (as we have done to date)
In more recent times, Ayr have been an even more prominent yo-yo club than ourselves. Should Ayr drop out the play-off positions to a 5th placed finish, it would probably still represent a successful season for them looking at the bigger picture- of course it wont feel that way.

Perfectly summed up as usual.

Of course getting relegated wouldn't be a successful season in simple terms.

Has it been an enjoyable and good season so far? Most definitely IMO.