The Alloa Athletic Thread

I see that Wee Kev is now on 282 appearances for the Mighty Wasps, meaning of course he is only 18 more from making his 300th.

The legendary Vally was the last to make it to 300, I understand. If Kev keeps fit and avoids lengthy suspensions (both likely I reckon given his history) then he should get to 300 sometime in March/April 2019.

I'm sure the club and SC will mark the achievement appropriately.

Cracking result today and further proof if necessary that we are well capable of being competitive in this league.The only downside is we haven,t scored from open play.Also further proof that narrowing our home pitch was misguided and negative.

8 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

Cracking result today and further proof if necessary that we are well capable of being competitive in this league.The only downside is we haven,t scored from open play.Also further proof that narrowing our home pitch was misguided and negative.

Interesting to see the manager raising the pitch issue in his post match comments yesterday,  praising the away form and saying the home park "certainly hasn't worked they way we would have liked". Hopefully a sign that they are planning to make it bigger at New Year. 

Absolutely terrific result yesterday and it's great to see Alloa sitting above the relegation places. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going in the cup in Edinburgh. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Interesting to see the manager raising the pitch issue in his post match comments yesterday,  praising the away form and saying the home park "certainly hasn't worked they way we would have liked". Hopefully a sign that they are planning to make it bigger at New Year. 

Absolutely terrific result yesterday and it's great to see Alloa sitting above the relegation places. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going in the cup in Edinburgh. 

surely it spells the end of the "narrow pitch" when can we extend it ? I was under the impression after the Dunfermline game ?

10 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

surely it spells the end of the "narrow pitch" when can we extend it ? I was under the impression after the Dunfermline game ?

If the same rules exist as our last season at this level it would be after our every opposition side has played 1 game on it. As such, think that would be after QoS game on December 22nd.

Yes, interesting comments from Goody about the pitch. We'll see if the dimensions are changed back.

What continues to be very encouraging is that we are at least matching most teams and sometimes outplaying them, yesterday being a good example of the latter. Yes, we are well organised and the defence is solid (with a top leader in big Andy), but we aren't JUST going out to frustrate the opposition. In fact we are a better side when we get the ball down and pass it about.

The way Flanny and wee Kev are playing they would hold their place in pretty much any team in the league.

Up front continues to be the weakest area in the team. Partly that is down to confidence - how did Greig miss that headed chance or Trouts even set him up for it when a shot was on - but, of course, scoring goals at this level was always going to be the most difficult thing.

We should have too much for Edinburgh City, but it's a tricky tie; they are winning games. Would be good to get to another semi and take it from there.

1 hour ago, alloagh said:

Wee warning , Edinburgh Cities web page has them playing at  Meadow bank  but they play at Ainslie Park which is actually easier to get to from Alloa.

Will there be segregation or can we wander about as we please?

QoS played them at Ainslie Park earlier in the season and there was no segregation that day.  Grandstand   along one side and standing areas,  (not terraced) beside the stand and behind one goal IIRC. Didn't seem to be any restriction about moving about. 

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with one-time Alloa Athletic full-back Mick Dunlop. He played during the team's unexpected relegation from the Second Division in 2010/11 and he talks about the miserable second half of the season and how they lost their way and ended up going down.

Not a fantastic time to be a Wasp but a good listen all the same!

CLICK

1 minute ago, Waspie said:

Anybody know the situation with the loan players for the Scottish Cup? We could be a little short depending on their availability. 

Available.  None have been involved in the competition in previous rounds.

Their loans have various lengths stretching throughout January, however, that I'm not particularly aware of. Fairly certain some of them will go back to their clubs and not be seen again, but by that time we might see some new faces to fill in the gaps.

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Available.  None have been involved in the competition in previous rounds.

Their loans have various lengths stretching throughout January, however, that I'm not particularly aware of. Fairly certain some of them will go back to their clubs and not be seen again, but by that time we might see some new faces to fill in the gaps.

Yeah, I'm aware none are cup tied, but parent clubs can obviously request that they don't play in case they are required for cup ties if they go back in January. Hopefully that won't be the case. 

Just now, Waspie said:

Yeah, I'm aware none are cup tied, but parent clubs can obviously request that they don't play in case they are required for cup ties if they go back in January. Hopefully that won't be the case. 

Aye but based on that do you see Roscoe  playing at Aberdeen?  Burt won't at Rangers. Shields doesn't matter.  Hastie and Zanatta are the likeliest and Flannigan and Brown have both been out on the left and we obviously have a plethora of strikers.

Although I'm sure the directors would have mentioned it in passing if there were any such clauses and I've not heard anything. 

28 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Aye but based on that do you see Roscoe  playing at Aberdeen?  Burt won't at Rangers. Shields doesn't matter.  Hastie and Zanatta are the likeliest and Flannigan and Brown have both been out on the left and we obviously have a plethora of strikers.

Although I'm sure the directors would have mentioned it in passing if there were any such clauses and I've not heard anything. 

There has to be a specific clause or separate letter allowing though. Its not an opt out thing. It would be fairly unusual for a club to grant permission for a player to be cup tied at this stage unless already agreed to be staying for the season. No matter how far out of the picture they are at their parent club, as long as they are in the cup themselves there is a chance of an injury crisis requiring inclusion. Or of the player going elsewhere 2nd half of the season who would want him available for the Cup.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There has to be a specific clause or separate letter allowing though. Its not an opt out thing. It would be fairly unusual for a club to grant permission for a player to be cup tied at this stage unless already agreed to be staying for the season. No matter how far out of the picture they are at their parent club, as long as they are in the cup themselves there is a chance of an injury crisis requiring inclusion. Or of the player going elsewhere 2nd half of the season who would want him available for the Cup.

Saying that like every club is organised at all times SD.

Two seasons ago Raith knew they wouldn't have a keeper and never managed to sign one. I'll be sure to bring my boots to training on Thursday though might make the bench.