The Alloa Athletic Thread

We have failed to sign to Josh Gordon and Jordan cole from Newcastle town. Both were up on trial and highly impressed however both clubs couldn't work out a deal with transfer fee, sell on fee and personal terms all rejected. Gordon a striker scored after 20 seconds and cole a tricky winger hit the woodwork during a closed door game, with the team of trialists beating the alloa first team 2-0 on tue night.

Really disappointing we couldn't get the deal done. Gordon is on 20 goals so far this season and Cole pushing on double figures. The problem with going after English based players are that the deals we offer have to make it worth there while when you factor in travelling etc. it's probably not worth it for them?

C+P from The Duffle:

It's not much of a surprise that we're being laughed at in terms of the offer (whatever sums are involved here) by the Newcastle Town players and manager. To be able to entice two 20-year-olds to leave their jobs and home to come to a part-time Scottish team would've taken a huge gamble by the club in terms of wages needing to be offered. I'm quite happy that we offered them 18-month contracts though, instead of just 'to the end of the season', shows ambition at least.

I remember clubs in the English Championship (and even League 1) saying pretty much the same thing relating to offers made by Celtic over the last couple of years for their players. Wouldn't surprise me if that's one of the reasons Neil Lennon felt he had to move on, the club are at the top domestically but are finding it difficult to now take a step beyond that and simply running a steady ship as opposed to an ambitious one didn't appeal to him. If that's the situation of our top professional club then to be honest what chance did we really have with these two. Would still be interesting to find out the figures involved however, and to see if there was any other enticement offered to them also. I know they'd have been training with our young full-timers daily and with the first-team squad twice a week but I assume the money for just doing that simply isn't viable to our club, not surprisingly.

Until our fanbase grows (which the club have taken steps to address with little to no success in recent years) then it's going to be difficult to make additional funds available for attracting players from afar, and also to maintain our status as a Championship club perhaps.

I noticed on the Duffle someone saying we could be signing Isaac Layne from Southend, if that comes to fruition then it's a pretty ambitious move for us and would be a real coup in my opinion. Would be surprised (pleasantly!) if he comes to us.

Edited by Sevennil

That's him signed. From quick google search I wouldn't have thought he will be on a big wage, only stepped up from non league football last summer and didn't play any first team games at Southend. Seemed to be rated as a decent prospect when he went there so fingers crossed he can get his career back on track at Alloa, we really need someone who can come in and finish a few of the chances.

Cowdenbeath have six full time players in their squad and I think Raith have a mixture of both full time and part time players as well. There might be another couple of clubs with similar set ups as well. I think it would be natural progression at this level to end up having a mixed squad of both full and part time players.

We have 2 part-time players.. They're both part of the starting 11 as well.

McGurn and Hill are the only two but I remember hearing that we're wanting to move away from part-time completely and that's why our Assistant Manager, Smith left. Also Mcgurn and Hill weren't favoured when they first came back fit from injury, and I reckon its because they're not willing to go full time. It also wouldn't surprise me if we lost both in the summer on this basis as well.

Mulraney tweeting a possible signing from English premier league team could be on the cards today..

Another Hazeldine!

Were Wigan in the premiership when we signed Hazeldine? I think Hazeldine was more interested in his studies than playing for us.

Were Wigan in the premiership when we signed Hazeldine? I think Hazeldine was more interested in his studies than playing for us.

Nah they were in the championship or maybe even lower at the time. I remember watching him in a closed door game against Clyde and he ripped Kernaghan a new arsehole.

Eta: when exactly did he sign for us again? I think I've got him confused with someone else as that game against clyde must have been about 2002/3/4.

This has turned into a clusterfuck of a post. Wigan were in the EPL when we signed Hazeldine. The striker I'm thinking about was tiny with blonde hair and came from Aberdeen. f**k knows what his name was.

Edited by BigMartyn86

Nah they were in the championship or maybe even lower at the time. I remember watching him in a closed door game against Clyde and he ripped Kernaghan a new arsehole.

Eta: when exactly did he sign for us again? I think I've got him confused with someone else as that game against clyde must have been about 2002/3/4.

This has turned into a clusterfuck of a post. Wigan were in the EPL when we signed Hazeldine. The striker I'm thinking about was tiny with blonde hair and came from Aberdeen. f**k knows what his name was.

Just shy of a 10 years ago since Hazeldine was on our books. He joined in 2006.