The Alloa Athletic Thread

Agree with all of this and would add that he has also got us to the final of the Challenge Cup. I think that if we were to avoid relegation this year, even if we don`t win the cup, he will be safe in his job for at least another season - and would deserve it too!

I think Muzza81 will be dissapointed that he won`t get the negative reaction from Alloa fan`s he was clearly looking for. I`ve not spoken to any supporters that have a desire for Smith to go.

Lol what? Surely it suits me you all being happy with him as he's keeping you below us.

We are apparently after Meggatt, Alloa's left back! Is he any good?

Will be interesting to see how he does in the Premier. He does like to get forward, but still covers his defensive duties well. Also good for deceptive punts through keepers' legs :thumsup2

Barry Smith has a terrible record as Alloa Manager

^^^ one of the Blyth 300

They're forever teasing us they did the same with the pie

I seem to remember xbl having similar thoughts :P

Lol what? Surely it suits me you all being happy with him as he's keeping you below us.

Seems like it, considering how often you're on Alloa threads to tell us how shite he is/we are.

Speaking for myself i cant say im happy with his record, i dont imagine there is any Alloa fan that is. In saying that without wanting to appear to be giving a hard luck story we have played some really good stuff this season and look a match for most teams and but for some woeful finishing in most games and the odd defensive mistake here and there Smith's record would make better reading.

I think he is currently living on credit for our cup exploits, the fact we are not getting hammered week in week out and despite our league postion are remaining competative thus criticism of Smith has been muted.

I think there also has to be an element of realism (as will Cowden fans have no doubt) in that we are a small part-time team competing against mainly full time outfits who have better players and can attract better players and have an advantage in fitness and financial terms and i think incorporating all these factors Smith is doing the best he can in the circumstances and that there is unlikley anyone else who under these constraints and conditions could do a better job.

Edited by Craigy

Starting to be a bit dissapointed and slowly losing patience with Smith now but as Craigy said we're a small part time team so if we can stay in this league it will be a great achievement, Performances haven't been bad we just can't seem to get results although IMO we have a better squad than the one that kept us up last season.

Seems like it, considering how often you're on Alloa threads to tell us how shite he is/we are.

It's an open, multi team forum. If you don't like it hunny then you know what to do.

Never seen a group of fans react so angrily to genuine questions before. You always seem to think people are having a go at your team. Settle down and engage in conversation, you may enjoy it.

On the same page, more or less as the other Wasps fans above.

For me the jury is still out on Barry. There's no doubt he isn't in Paul Hartley's league in terms of winning points, and ultimately that's the key metric. PH was truly exceptional though and I thought in the circumstances BS did an acceptable job in keeping us out of 9th spot last year, notwithstanding the necessity of Bob McHugh's late intervention.

This season we have played better football, generally, but tended to lose games we should have drawn and could have won on the balance of play and chances created. That's a worry and something the manager needs to sort urgently.

It's an open, multi team forum. If you don't like it hunny then you know what to do.

Spunk my wad all over the Cowden threads as soon as we manage to drag ourselves off the bottom of the table?

You're alright, thanks <_<

You could say he "got lucky" with the McHugh goal but you could also say he was unlucky in that he got us to 40 points with 3 games to play then saw teams with nothing to play for down tools against Cowden whilst Alloa played promotion contenders. Similarly was he unlucky that Caddis missed an open goal on that last day that could have meant the McHugh goal was irrelevant. All depends on how you want to spin it.

Anyway, I was underwhelmed by his performance last season. There were tough circumstances in that it wasn't his team and they had suffered the loss of the inspirational manager who had put the group together amidst their first real bad run, but it didn't seem that Smith was capable of putting confidence back into the team.

In light of all that I wasn't too hopeful about the new season but he managed to get almost all of the key men to stay and actually improved the attacking options. He has made us very competitive in a tough league and overseen some superb performances against the bigger clubs. As others have said that is the reason that fans have been patient with him despite the frankly shite total of 13 points.

The next few weeks are crucial to Smith and to Alloa. I think we have been waiting for the points tally to start reflecting the general level of performance. That has to start happening now, we can't afford another quarter of putting in some great performances but picking up almost no points from Livi/Cowden/Dumbarton/Raith etc. If that does happen then pressure will quickly grow in Smith I think. Alloa aren't going to survive at this level forever, that's just realism, but it would be a real blow to go down this season when we do have a good team.

As an aside I think our fanbase is in general very realistic and that has also helped Smith. People recognise that the club - whilst the team should have got more points than they have so far - is operating above its natural level at the moment. I have some sympathy for Jimmy Nicholl in that respect as he faces criticism despite having lost the two star strikers who basically kept him up (with almost no chance of replacing them like for like on his budget) and despite having his team currently above two teams who have IMO better players.

I think, as your Chairman pointed out, that if Smith successfully keeps Alloa up this season it's up there with the achievements of Hartley. Having seen both managers operate at my club, it's clear as day that Hartley is a cut above and I reckon that it's going to be a real slog till the end of the season particularly if you lot don't pick up some points over your next 2-3 games.

"They will only be brought in if we can believe they can make us better and we will not sign players simply to add to the squad. Any player who comes in from England will be able to train full time with our apprenticeship players and also with the main squad twice a week as normal.” - See more at: http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/alloaathletic/articles/2015/01/21/521988-exclusive--alloa-athletic-appoint-new-head-scout-tasked-with-bringing-top-english-talent-to-clackmannanshire/#sthash.uPYemplI.dpuf

I may be well off the mark here but does this suggest a move to aiming more towards full time football?

Surely you know the names of the boys that have been on trial??

His source might. Here's how it'll pan out:

Source tells Wasps1 " We've got an Iran goalie on trial".

Wasps1 comes on here half an hour later to tell us 30-goal a season striker Imran Ghali is on trial.

"They will only be brought in if we can believe they can make us better and we will not sign players simply to add to the squad. Any player who comes in from England will be able to train full time with our apprenticeship players and also with the main squad twice a week as normal.” - See more at: http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/sport/alloaathletic/articles/2015/01/21/521988-exclusive--alloa-athletic-appoint-new-head-scout-tasked-with-bringing-top-english-talent-to-clackmannanshire/#sthash.uPYemplI.dpuf

I may be well off the mark here but does this suggest a move to aiming more towards full time football?

Cowdenbeath have six full time players in their squad and I think Raith have a mixture of both full time and part time players as well. There might be another couple of clubs with similar set ups as well. I think it would be natural progression at this level to end up having a mixed squad of both full and part time players.

Cowdenbeath have six full time players in their squad and I think Raith have a mixture of both full time and part time players as well. There might be another couple of clubs with similar set ups as well. I think it would be natural progression at this level to end up having a mixed squad of both full and part time players.

Ive replied to you on the duffle already mate.

We have failed to sign to Josh Gordon and Jordan cole from Newcastle town. Both were up on trial and highly impressed however both clubs couldn't work out a deal with transfer fee, sell on fee and personal terms all rejected. Gordon a striker scored after 20 seconds and cole a tricky winger hit the woodwork during a closed door game, with the team of trialists beating the alloa first team 2-0 on tue night.

Really disappointing we couldn't get the deal done. Gordon is on 20 goals so far this season and Cole pushing on double figures. The problem with going after English based players are that the deals we offer have to make it worth there while when you factor in travelling etc. it's probably not worth it for them?

Edited by Waspy