The Alloa Athletic Thread

The more you know. Where Jason goes doesn't affect us much anymore so best of luck to him wherever it is.

Unless it's like Ayr. Don't be Ayr.

Is he right-footed ?? If he is he might be perfect for us. We've currently got two left sided centre halfs but need someone to play on the right.

Mind you I'd much rather see Andy Graham return. Is he signed up ??

I get what your saying mate, but we had 2 games against an inferior team to clinch promotion and we weren't good enough to get the job done, if we were good enough it shouldn't have got as far as penalties. We also finished miles behind Livingston, Goodwin claims the intention was to win the league, so the fact we fell well short might in his mind suggest we weren't good enough

As for rebuilding the team its going to be a lot harder to replicate this season next season and with Marr leaving, possibly McLuskey,Holmes, Longworth, Watters will likely move on, Mackin left, then already you are looking at a rebuild. 

I don't think that would be much of a rebuild. Only two of those players are first eleven.

Like Oweny, I'm not sure why we would want rid of Holmer. If we'd gone up fair enough, but he's still easily good enough at Div 1 level for a couple of years IMO, possibly more.

Marr has been a brilliant player for us and I wish him well, but the problem with having him as one of your first choice centre backs is you need a ready made replacement in the squad to fill in during his inevitable time out through injuries.

Marr has been a brilliant player for us and I wish him well, but the problem with having him as one of your first choice centre backs is you need a ready made replacement in the squad to fill in during his inevitable time out through injuries.

Same applies to Flannigan, but you wouldn't get rid of him.

Same applies to Flannigan, but you wouldn't get rid of him.

Yes, it's a similar situation, but centre back is a position you want consistency in. When Flanny is, inevitably, out injured then other players can step in or the formation can easily be changed with minimum disruption. That's not the same for centre back.

Flanny has played a lot of games this season and, of course, he's a class act, but there's always that doubt that he'll not 'get injured' when things aren't going well for the team.

Marr and Ben Gordon as a partnership at the back was as good as any I have seen in 40 years supporting alloa. 

I'd agree with that. Made even better of course as they had Simmy in front, Scott Bain behind and Doyle/Meggatt at the side of them. Comfortably the best back six I've seen at Alloa.

55 minutes ago, printer said:

Yes, it's a similar situation, but centre back is a position you want consistency in. When Flanny is, inevitably, out injured then other players can step in or the formation can easily be changed with minimum disruption. That's not the same for centre back.

Flanny has played a lot of games this season and, of course, he's a class act, but there's always that doubt that he'll not 'get injured' when things aren't going well for the team.

To be fair to Jason, I dont think he missed much (or any) game time at all this season through injury.

We should also count this as a blessing. If Jason wasnt made of chocolate, he wouldnt have played 5 years at Alloa. He'd be strolling all over the park at Champions League level.

I guess the statement will come after the manager has been officially spoken to- which hasnt occurred yet. When it does, then it will be up.

I doubt everything will be sorted immediately anyway. Greig Spence for example is off on holiday today. Then again I'd be very surprised if Greig signs on for another season.

37 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Will we be getting a statement from the club with the full list of departures/contracts today?

The manager will know. The secretary will know. The rest of us will find out once the paperwork is signed, sealed and delivered. So how long is a piece of string? 

Hope Greig's back next season losing his goals would be massive. Wouldn't surprise me if he's holding out to see what else is on the table.

I'm guessing there'll be more meetings tonight and on Thursday which is why I said by the end of the week we should have a squad.

I assumed the manager had been spoken too as he was already telling players their fate. Appreciate the holiday side, McCluskey the same going by his Instagram. Would be good to hear some news soon - hate being drip fed!

Relax, Kieren! [emoji6]

To be fair to Jason, I dont think he missed much (or any) game time at all this season through injury.

Yeah, that's true.

Although it's difficult to get injured sitting on a bench. [emoji6]

Flanny's back did once go into spasm when he was sub and got up to go in for his half-time cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I doubt everything will be sorted immediately anyway. Greig Spence for example is off on holiday today. Then again I'd be very surprised if Greig signs on for another season.

Can only hope he stays. If Max Von Sydow had been amongst the Brechin support on Saturday that third goal would surely have seen him rise to his feet in the Gazeebo.

1 hour ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I guess the statement will come after the manager has been officially spoken to- which hasnt occurred yet. When it does, then it will be up.

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but as the season went on got the impression that Goodwin didnt need a lot of persuasion to drop Spence or to haul him off at the first opportunity. 

I assume what you are saying FB is that Spence possibly sees it this way as well and like the Marr scenario as much as we all want Spence to stay maybe he does not feel he has the full confidence of the Manager and will unfortunately likely move on.

I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but as the season went on got the impression that Goodwin didnt need a lot of persuasion to drop Spence or to haul him off at the first opportunity. 
I assume what you are saying FB is that Spence possibly sees it this way as well and like the Marr scenario as much as we all want Spence to stay maybe he does not feel he has the full confidence of the Manager and will unfortunately likely move on.

I don't recall Greig being dropped or 'hauled off at the first opportunity' very often.

I don't recall Greig being dropped or 'hauled off at the first opportunity' very often.

Neither. There was one incident, possibly East Fife away can't mind as I couldn't make it, that Spence was frustrated at being hooked. He would've been disheartened at being benched last Wednesday too but I think Goody knows & appreciates how good he is. Speaks very highly of him.